1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Beware

If your name is Caesar, beware today. icon wink Beware

My new project is (surprise, surprise) a shawl, and as you could probably tell from the photo in my last blog post, it is knit from the bottom up.

WIP031511 240x160 Beware

There’s a lot going on in that photo — Lucy is inspecting my work and you can see a bit of my Loopy Ewe knitting bag. icon smile Beware

I am using Alchemy Juniper in the “Topaz” colorway on a U.S. size 5 needle. I do love Alchemy Juniper. It’s a fingering weight yarn, but is on the fine side of fingering weight, so it behaves like a heavy laceweight. And it is so soft.

Juniper031511 240x160 Beware

Knitting a shawl from the bottom up means you have some seriously long rows at the start. But the good news is that they keep getting shorter.

I am well into my second skein of Juniper here. Each skein is 232 yards, and I purchased three of them (from The Loopy Ewe). I’m not sure yet if I’ll have to crack open the third skein. The suspense is killing me!

Lucy too.

Lucy031511 240x160 Beware

She’d be on the edge of her seat but she’s too comfy to move.

Comments

1. You are just dangerous to my sanity…I am loving shawl knitting!
    Lynda´s last blog post ..WOW!!!

2. I love that you’re doing it bottom up! Can’t wait to see the FO.

3. This patteren looks PARTICULARLY interesting. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Love the color too.

4. I really like how the shawl is working up, what a great combination of textures :-}

5. I am getting ready to ship 4 shawls to a shawl ministry in NC. (My friend’s church) I would like to make a lace one for me. i have another friend I’m trying to talk into a KAL.

6. I have the perfect yarn in my stash for this shawl…hurry hurry….I must knit this…

7. Looks great!

8. Beautiful pattern! Hope you publish this one (please, please)

9. alexandra says:

Can’t wait to see the finished product. So beautiful

10. Gail Rector says:

I <3 Lucy! I like the shawl too.

11. Sandra D says:

It’s killing me too! I’ve joined Lucy on the edge of a seat. It’s lovely and I’m very fond of the color. I’m eager to see more of it!

12. Linda R. says:

Loving the pattern!

13. Susan Murphy says:

Oh Wendy! You just keep outdoing yourself. The shawl is going to be SO BEAUTIFUL! I can figure out the lace pattern at the bottom, but the vertical thing you are doing now is totally new to me. How exciting it is to see a pattern stitch I have not seen before.
    ( I think Lucy secretly sends you ideas for knitting by telepathy. The “I’m sleeping” routine is her
    cover. You make a great team.)
    Are you planning a pattern book of shawls and scarves?

14. It’s beautiful! I’ve made a number of shawls, but just finished my first that was knit from the bottom up. It seemed almost miraculous how the rows got shorter and shorter!
    janna´s last blog post ..Another One Finished!

15. Love the pattern and love the color

16. Gorgeous as usual. I’m still plugging along on my Woodland Walk. If I can quit making mistakes, it’s going to be beautiful.

I clicked through to the site for the Juniper yarn. It says that it recommends you use a size 8 needle but it also says it knits to about 8 spi. Ok, I’m a tight knitter but whoever tested that one for gauge has me beat.

17. I love this shawl. I hope you put it out soon!
    Aporanee Schauer´s last blog post ..A Fabulous Fiber Market

18. I love the Alchemy yarns I’ve tried. I have a top I made in the silken straw that is great when I am not wearing winter weight! I should try more of their yarns. The yarn you’re using looks luscious!
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..not quite ready for the Iron Craft

19. Darlene Hollingsworth says:

I just love the pictures of Lucy. And of course the knitting!!!

20. PAMELA SERTICH says:

Be careful, that yarn is quite addicting. I should know, I just bought a BUNCH of the new Kozmos!

21. Nancy in CA says:

From the looks of things, your hand is feeling much better! Yay!

22. very cool pattern. that yarn is seriously soft, agree.
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Red Orchids on Black Project Bag

23. Can’t wait to see how the turns out …oh the suspense!

24. Hmm, I may have to check out that yarn. <3 the shawl pattern! I seem to be stuck in the land of hat knitting just lately, so a shawl would make a nice change. {{{Lucy}}}

25. Oh, Caesar, Empress of Shawls!!! LOVELY!
    I greatly appreciate your “testing” all these lovely yarns, so some of us Newbie Yarnies can follow your heed with confidence that we will not make a grave error in buying “sight unseen”.

Miss Lucy, we await your approval, Dahling~♥♥♥
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Silent Writers Collective – A Story of Love

26. I have probably said this before – I wish i could knit that fast!!! Fushia sweater is gorgeous and I will anxiously watch the shawl grow. Love the eye charts! Hope I win!
    Cathy E´s last blog post ..Back in Business!!!

27. At least you have a third skein in reserve! That’s a much more relaxing kind of suspense than “will I have enough?”

Enjoy your knitting. Alchemy is lovely stuff.
    pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog post ..Worthy causes- far and near

28. What a gorgeous pattern!