1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

The First Twenty Four Hours

In the first twenty-four hours that the Japanese Garden Shawl was for sale, it sold 254 copies. My proceeds per copy after PayPal takes its processing fee is $4.55 each — that’s a total of almost $1200!

So this morning I did this:

RedCross032211 240x114 The First Twenty Four Hours

(You can clicky to enlarge.)

Thank-you to everyone who has bought a copy so far, and thank-you to the bloggers, podcasters, and Ravelry members who’ve talked about it here and there and are planning knit-alongs of the pattern. I have noticed that a number of you have bought multiple copies of the patterns to send as gifts to other knitters. You all are awesome.

While I realize that we’re not going to raise $1200 every day, I’d love it if we could raise another $1200 before the end of April. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

While I’m not crossing my fingers, I’m knitting along on my current project, another lace shawl knit from the bottom up. Here’s my progress so far.

wip032211 240x160 The First Twenty Four Hours

This shawl will be somewhat bigger than the Japanese Garden Shawl — the cast on is about 30 stitches more. I have two skeins of Sea Silk, and I have used up one of them so far. This Sea Silk is in 100-gram skeins with approximately 437 yards per skein. I’m estimating that this shawl will take about one-third of the second skein. so maybe close to 600 yards total for the shawl? Well, I’ll find out when I’m done.

I’m calling this design “Vernal Equinox” because it looks spring-like to me. Not just the color, but the all-over lace pattern for the main body of the shawl is sort of flower-like.

I’m using Sea Silk because I wanted a non-wool shawl to keep at the office in the warmer months. But this shawl could certainly be knit from wool too.

Speaking of my office, here’s what I saw when I looked out my window today:

Window032211 240x153 The First Twenty Four Hours

The Republicans were out and about. Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Lucy sez:

Lucy032211 240x222 The First Twenty Four Hours

“Hilarious.”

Comments

1. I look forward to having time to knit the shawl. Maybe by fall I’ll be out from under my knitting pile!

2. All of the shawls you design are beautiful, but I have to say this latest one looks like it might turn out to be one of my favorites. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

3. I’m halfway through Chart A and loving it! I love how thrilled Lucy seems to be by your humor – lol!

4. Awsome!! Bought the pattern this morning and it’s on my ‘knittiing to do list’!

5. anne marie in philly says:

I like how you caught the elephant arses; typical redumblicans. heh heh heh

lucy, you’re hysterical! bwhahahahaha!

6. Your new shawl looks great, but I think there is already a shawl pattern with that name? Will have to go check my queue. :)

7. I do plan to get the shawl before the end of April. Love the new shawl.

You have such a great view from your work window. I get to see wild turkeys occasionally and some birds but not much more, well the bunnies when they come out, too.

8. You design so many shawls and even sweaters. What do you do with all of them? I have 3 and that is more than enough for me to wear.

9. Gail Rector says:

I have to wait for April to get my copy of the pattern, but I will be part of the (at least) second 1200 bucks.

I agree with Lucy (without the Catitude) “Hilarious.”

10. Gail Rector says:

p.s. What does Lucy call her pet fish?

11. laura sequeira says:

So impressed with your kind use of your pattern. I have bought several in the past and bought this one today because I love it and because I want to be part of the second $1200.

12. Now I’m kind of glad I didn’t buy it immediately — I can help out the second $1200!
    janna´s last blog post ..Another One Finished!

13. LOL, I too hope to be part of the second….. I haven’t knit a shawl before but the Japanese Garden called out to me…. LOL I am loving how this new one is stitching up too!! Can’t wait to see the finished product!!

14. Man, the most interesting things I ever see from my office are drunk college students (and even that’s limited to Friday afternoons and St. Patrick’s Day).

However, great expression on Lucy!

15. I love the shawl and the new one! Congrats on the donation to the American Red Cross- you rock!

16. Wendy, that is a terrific result for a beautiful pattern!
    Garilynn´s last blog post ..Elementary – Deerstalker Knitting Pattern – Knit in one piece – Great Steampunk accessory

17. Wow it is neat to be part of something bigger that will help those poor people in Japan. I get regular readings on earthquakes around the world and there has not been one tremor under 5.5. They have had hundreds I swear. Lucy, you are just too cute!! I just love that face of yours and all your expressions!!!

18. Woohoo!! Congratulations! The shawl is beautiful, and I love that it’s for a great cause.

How does the American Red Cross work? Are you donating the money specifically for Japan, or will they use it wherever necessary? I’m just a little concerned that Japan will have loads of money “earmarked” for them, leaving little resources for other areas that may already be receiving assistance or will be needing it in the future. I know this is how Doctors Without Borders works, but I’m not sure if the same goes for the American Red Cross…

Man, I feel like a “Debbie Downer” here, I just want to make sure that while Japan needs our help now, there are also many other places that aren’t receiving the media attention that also need support. :)

19. Barb Harger says:

My daughter’s friend, Anne W. is in Japan. She and DD went to Japan together last summer to teach English to kids. Laura stayed 6 weeks. Anne will be there about 3 years by the time she is done. She’s teaching adults now, too. The school is shut down for a while, so she has gone to Tokyo to help with relief efforts for the time being. I told her what you are doing with your shawl sales and she was very appreciative of that! She is fine but all that is going on in Japan has been very tough on the nerves. She is going to try to look at your stuff and see the pattern. Thanks!

20. WHY are there elephants outside your work window? I mean, aside from the obvious reason that DC is pretty crazy already?
    Christina´s last blog post ..Phew I have survived

21. Terrific! I love seeing how small contributions (our $5) adds up so quickly! I’ll be part of the second 1200!

(I’m hoping to make it down to DC for the cherry blossom festival and yarn shopping!)
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..10 Tuesday Thank goodness for spring

22. What do you do with all the leftover skeins? Love the new Equinox shawl and the yarn is gorgeous.

23. anybody clean up the crap the “republicans” left behind? When is the (donkey) democrat parade?

24. My daughter is going to the circus on Saturday with one of her classmates, they’ll probably be seeing those elephants.
    CarolineF´s last blog post ..Some knitting

25. Dagblasted filters on the work computer! I’ll get the pattern, when I have a chance to get to the library. In fact, I might even buy two–I do a monthly giveaway on my blog, and it’s getting to be time to draw names–so this would be a nice thing to gift to one of my readers. I’ll consider getting another one for the April draw, too! Lucy’s take on the “republicans” is about like mine.

26. It looks warm there!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Pink Brown Floral Vines Project Bag Set

27. Wow amazing I’m glad your first 24 hours was so successful.

28. Katy Sullivan says:

Where can I find a KAL for this pattern? I just purchased it and would really like to join some others who are knitting it as well.

29. I love that the Republicans were out and about and enjoying the sunshine! I agree with with Lucy…that is hilarious!

30. I’m so envious – even if I had a window in my office (cubicle actually) I think there’s little chance I would ever see any elephants walking by. =( I got to ride an elephant once – it was fun!

31. It’s a lovely pattern and we are having a great time knitting it! $1200 is fantastic! I’ll have to make sure and share that with everyone who’s joined my KAL!
    Erin´s last blog post ..Mommy Knows Best

32. Congrats on your pattern doing so well!

I think Lucy is saying, “Keep those elephants and their smells away from me!”

33. THANK YOU so much!! My daughter is an English teacher and lives in Kitami, Japan. While Hokkaido was not as affected as north-eastern Honshu, everyone in Japan feels the pain. Not only is the pattern beautiful, but the fruits of the pattern are beautiful as well.
    Bless you for doing this!

34. Lovely, simply lovely. Power to the knitters.

35. Delightful, that you felt compelled to insult even a tiny portion of your reader. Which portion is now getting one Republican fewer. Goodbye.

36. forget the elephants, is that SUNSHINE I see??????? I think I’ve forgotten what sunshine is like and, oh look! a shadow!!!!

37. Wonderful! I’ve bought my copy of the pattern and will cast on…soon!