1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Now Playing

First off, my new shawl pattern pictured in my last post, the Vernal Equinox Shawl, is now available for sale in my Ravelry Store.

Second, I am well into a new shawl:

WIP032911 240x160 Now Playing

This is another new design knit from the bottom up — my new favorite shawl construction. I am using Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light in the Oceana colorway. Like my last 2 shawls, I cast on with a U.S. size 8 needle and then switched to a U.S. size 5 to knit.

I love this yarn — it’s what I used to knit my Shetland Pi (available as a free pattern in 5 parts, linked to from my Free Patterns Page).

Third, donations from sales of the Japanese Garden Shawl are now just over $3800!

Fourth, Lucy has a new toy:

Toy032911 160x240 Now Playing

This toy was recommended to me (thanks, Susan!) so I immediately ordered one for the Little Princess. It’s the Bolt Interactive Pet Laser Toy and it is available from ThinkGeek here.

You can set it to emit random laser beams that continue for 15 minutes (or you can use it in manual mode). The beam bounces off an adjustable mirror within the toy so there is no danger of your kitty eyeballing the source of the beam directly.

Here you can see Lucy trying to figure it out:

Note that her beloved fuzzy rat is not far from the action.

Lucy gives the Bolt Interactive Pet Laser Toy two paws up!

Comments

1. Lucy is adorable as always. I was fortunate enough to receive the Vernal Equinox Shawl as a birthday present. Can’t wait to start it!

2. I get the best cat tips from your blog! I just ordered the cat toy for mine and he is going to love it! Thanks.

3. I love Lucy’s new toy and can’t wait to start one of your new bottom up shawls!!

4. My fur babies would LOVE that new toy. I have a standard laser pointer and the “red bug” simply eludes all efforts to be captured so I may have to get one of those toys for myself :)

The new shawl is a lovely blue color (I love blue).
    MelissaW´s last blog post ..Jamaica Inn

5. HeatherB says:

Thanks for reviewing that laser toy. I’ve often thought about getting something like that, but was afraid of the whole accidental laser beam in the kitty eye danger. Now that I know that’s not a problem – I think Nicky and Nuala are getting a new toy (‘cuz God knows they don’t have enough toys strewn about the house). ;-)

6. Marsha J. Rose says:

Lucy is so cute playing with the red dot! My cat ivy also likes to chase the laser dot.

7. She is so calm and ladylike…does she ever get wound up and terrorize the place??

8. You are on a roll — love that yarn! Thanks for the Vernal Equinox pattern too :)

9. anne marie in philly says:

steven and meredith say: “meow, cousin lucy, we are bugging our mommy to order us that kewl toy!” :-)

10. Wonder how Lucy’d do if you combined the toy with a little catnip? More frenzy? Or is she a cheap drunk?

11. I had a cat who loved to play with the laser lights …we could get him to jump up the walls. I bought the japanese garden shawl pattern on the first day. I am just waitting until the 9th of April when the Minnesota girls meet up. I want them to help me pick out the yarn and colorway. I can`t wait to start it …its so pretty. Glad to see that the shawl pattern has raised so much money

12. I love both shawls! I hope soon to start one! Am new to knitting!
    Lucy is gorgeous! I too have a Sealpoint Ragdoll, male, 3 years old,
    Woody! I will have to order him that laser!

13. Carolyn Blakelock says:

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but I am a safety engineer by day and have some experience with laser safety. Reflecting off the mirror does not really diminish the power of the beam (unless it is a really crappy mirror). A Class IIIa laser is not eye safe, but your blink reflex should protect you from permanent eye damage. Quality control on laser products is not that great. The laser is not supposed to emit more than 5mW, but unless the laser is tested, you really don’t know how much power that laser is putting out, and if it happens to put out more than 5mW it will be more dangerous. The power of the laser will also depend on the batteries powering the laser. I’ve never done a study but it will most likely vary. Just be careful, and protect your kitty :-).

14. Thank you for all the inspiration! I recently found your blog and really enjoy your creativity. It’s a bonus that you have a cat! She’s beautiful–and lucky to be so spoiled and loved. We have 4 brats–I mean, cats–that we spoil.

15. Sharon Moon says:

A quick question on your triangular shawls. Do you cast on a large # of stitches then decrease in the middle to get the ‘v’ shape, or do you start with 5 stitches and add to each edge? I tried your ‘easy’ scarf on your site and the last row you gave instructions for confused me, it didn’t keep the pattern (or I messed it up badly)?

16. It’ll be interesting to see how long the new toy intrigues her.

17. If my own dear Himalayan wasn’t 19 years old I would get her one in an instant. As it is, my children would have a field day with it and she’d probably sleep through all the excitement! Beautiful shawl! Love the color!!

18. Ooh, the new shawl is gorgeous! And hello from another ThinkGeek fan!
    Hissy Stitch´s last blog post ..Astounding FOs

19. Sue Plantinga says:

How on earth do you manage to knit things so quickly??!! I’m always amazed when I read your blog to see how far you’ve gone on each project in such a short time!

20. Lucy, Lucy, Lucy! I’m in love.

Oh…the shawl is beautiful, too, but today I obviously came by to dwell on Lucy.

As for the Japanese Garden Shawl donations, wow, wow, wow!!!!! You go girl!
    Sue´s last blog post ..Gails Quilt

21. You are on your third shawl and I am on Row 5 of the JGS! Slow down, girl, I can’t keep up with you!!!

22. JessKfrompa says:

eek, I hate laser toys. my vet said they can actually make animals neurotic. they can see it, but they can’t smell it, feel it, or hear it, and that confuses kitty (or doggy) to the point of insanity.

23. Tux thanks you for the video and information — his has been ordered! Of course, Mommy Cheapo would only go for “economy shipping” so he’s sulking!

Lovely shawl, Wendy. I’ve never understood the whole top & bottom of a shawl, to me the top is always the wide part and the bottom is the part aiming for the floor. guess that’s why I’m a “bad ass knitter”, huh?

24. Love the new shawl and will have to get the pattern when it comes out. I am at the lace border of my currend shawl, and promised myself I would finish it before I start my JGS, but I am itching big time to start. Knitting friends keep asking what I am going to “do” with these shawls. Well, just “have” them, of course.

25. Our cats loved watching Lucy and now have the laser on their wishlist for birthday present.
    love the new shawl

26. My dog, Tulie will go nuts over this! Thanks for the recommendation Lucy!

27. I am completely amazed at how prolific you are. I love Lucy’s new toy I may have to get one for Fluffy and Baxter.

28. Gaak–watching sweet, inquisitive Lucy investigate that suspicious laser has me gasping for breath due to cuteness overload. That is one cute video!