1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Furlough or No?

As I write this, we are still up in the air about whether the federal government will shut down tomorrow night at midnight. We’ve been in a tizzy all week at work — so many things to think about should we be on furlough for a while.

Lucky me, I am on leave tomorrow and Monday so if indeed there is a shutdown, I will not have to deal with the odds and ends and fuss and bother that go along with wrapping up operations for it. for I will be in Chincoteague, at Carodan Farm’s SoXperience 2011. Well, that’s through Sunday and I’ll be coming home Sunday night, but I did schedule leave for Monday, as I always need a day to recover from a teaching gig.

A shutdown is very likely. But one scenario is that the government will shot down Friday night and remain closed all weekend while Congress scrambles to balance the budget, and will open again on Monday. Another scenario is that it will take longer and all us “non-essential” federal employees will be on furlough for a while until the budget is sorted out.

I’ll say it out loud here: if I get some unscheduled time off, I swear I will do some spring cleaning and work towards de-cluttering my home and getting rid of a lot of stuff I don’t use or need.

There. It’s out there. Now I have to do it. icon wink Furlough or No?

In knitting news, I’m still working on my Antimacassar Shawl. I’ve done very little evening knitting this week (and my commuter knitting has been on something else — an unbloggable project) so it is not done yet. But it is close.

WIP040711 240x160 Furlough or No?

I’ll either finish it later tonight or, more likely, finish it this weekend during downtime at SoXperience.

I’ll likely not be blogging on Sunday because I’ll get home late.

See you next week!

Lucy sez:

Lucy040711 240x160 Furlough or No?

“I must perfect my ballet moves for my weekend alone with my Daddy!”

Comments

1. Beth from Lorna's Laces says:

Safe travels madam! Say hello to Dan and Caroline for me. And here’s to hoping that the govt can figure things out….

2. I’m a state employee and we were on furlough 2 years ago. We could spread it out so we didn’t go without pay a whole week at one time. We may still have to go on furlough this year depending on what gets passed in the budget. I just looked at it as extra time off and was happy that it prevented people from losing their jobs.

Have a great time at time on your trip!
    Beverly´s last blog post ..Beads- Beads Everywhere

3. Where I work people are all spooked as anything. Some of us are essential, some of us are not. I am not… (at least for the first week). If things go on longer than a week we get to switch off with our “essential” co-workers. We get to spread the misery around a bit.

I however have plenty to work on if a furlough does take place. I have 3-4 sock projects that I’m working on simultaneously. So while the prospects of not getting paid is not appealing, having the time to sit and knit all day is very tempting.

Here’s to the federal work force…
    Pixie91075´s last blog post ..I do declare- it’s a sock

4. Let’s hope our government gets off its collective ass & does what it needs to do…
    can’t wait for this weekend @ Soxperience – I so need this weekend to destress and have been looking forward to this weekend for soo long!!

5. Kim in Apex says:

If there is a furlough, I also pledge to use that time for some spring cleaning. I wish us both luck!

6. It’s not that I want the Government to shutdown, but like you guys I can think of a lot a projects to work on. Good luck with the class — safe travels — and thanks for causing me to look at the possible shutdown as a way to do something for me that I normally wouldn’t have time to do.

7. If there is a furlough, I hope you are able to get your spring cleaning done. I’ve done mine already but since we are making pledges. I will finish hubby’s christmas socks.

8. Love the new shawl – is the neckline really curved to make it drape nicely, or does it just appear curved due to the circular needles? (I have not yet made a shawl, so I not up to speed on “reading” a not-complete project) I am also planning some spring cleaning during the furlough, but after all the scrambling to get things done the past few days (and more scrambling tomorrow) I may need to just rest for a few days!

9. anne marie in philly says:

have a great time!

lucy, you are such a graceful girl; enjoy your time with daddy!

if you clean and want to get rid of yarn, I can take it off your hands…just sayin’ (wink wink nudge nudge). ;-)

10. catspaw says:

Have fun at Carodan. If it weren’t going to be such a crazy busy weekend I’d come by and say hello.

11. Ginger Klein says:

See you at SoXperience 2011, Wendy! Can’t wait to meet you IRL!! I’ve been madly knitting socks for ponies for weeks!!!

12. I know we are gearing up for furlough in the Senate. I am planning the same as you…Spring cleaning, yarn organizing and getting rid of stuff I never use. Safe travels this weekend. I think the shutdown will happen and reopen Tuesday morning…don’t know why but that is my gut reaction. A weekend and then one day of “usual” scheduled work time.

13. I hope you have a great weekend!
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..So what is next

14. Christine says:

Ugh, my husband’s an essential employee, so we get the fun of no paycheck, no time off, and he loses his paid leave he was going to take all next week. At least we know he’ll get paid eventually, I guess that’s something. Here’s hoping it doesn’t last long!

15. I’m salaried via grant money, so will probably not be affected. But others that I work with could be, which would make some of our work very difficult if the govt shuts down longer than the weekend!! Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.

Have a great SoXperience weekend!! I hope you won’t be able to get too much spring cleaning accomplished!! :)

Mew to Lucy!

16. patricia says:

I’m a non-essential employee too. I pledge to reclaim the second bedroom as a bedroom so my friend Moni has a place to stay when she visits in May.

17. Fingers crossed about this furlough! Luckily hubby is paid through a separate plot so he would not be effected, plus he took tomorrow off as he will not return home from work travel till midnight tonight. Crazy politics!
    turtle´s last blog post ..I know I know

18. My son is also holding his breath. He doesn’t know if he’ll still have his job on Monday.

Your shawl is lovely, and Lucy is just beautiful!
    Pam´s last blog post ..April 6- 2011

19. Loving your Antimacassar shawl! Have a wonderful weekend!! And Lucy is lovely as always!!

20. I love how your new shawl is coming along! :)

21. If there is a furlough I will work on my yard. It desperately needs it. It’ll keep my mind off of the paycheck that won’t be coming at the end of the month. I am actually thinking a little shutdown, with a very narrow deifnition of “essential” services, might shake people out of their toddler-like belief that they should have all the government services they need, without having to pay for them by being taxed.
    CarolineF´s last blog post ..Show- no tell

22. cecilia david says:

Have fun and maybe you will see the wild ponies.
    Good Luck with a furlough.

You should show Lucy “the art of sleeping in a Box. It is on Utube and she and you may be inspired. cd

23. It will all work out. Enjoy the weekend, and even if the Government is closed you are not so your plan is good. Best,BER

24. I have other relatives in the federal government and I’m hoping that a furlough isn’t necessary (or if it is, the amount of time is very small). My husband’s overtime is paid by the federal government (he’s a state employee), so we are looking at this closely but not as much as you probably are!

25. LP Starr says:

Another beautiful shawl in beautiful yarn. Is there a cat Olympics. I think Lucy will make the team!

26. My husband works at a military hospital, which won’t be affected at all by the shutdown — for obvious reasons — but it’s still just an awful thing that our government is so hung up on partisan childish bickering that it lets hundreds of thousands of people suffer as a result. Frankly, I’d love to see a constitutional amendment that says that if Congress doesn’t have a new budget in place within one month of the beginning of the fiscal year, everyone there should lose their jobs!

Anyway, have a great time away from all the craziness, enjoying a different and much more fun kind of craziness!

27. Wendy, I don’t know if someone else has jumped in with this link but here is link to the Orient Express website and if you look at the seat behind the woman I’m almost positive that is an antimacassar on the seat back.

And not old enough to date anyone :)