1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Circular Shawl Construction

There was a question the other day about the construction of my current circular shawl — what’s the difference between a pi shawl and a spiral shawl. Good question!

My current shawl is being worked in a spiral construction. It consists of 9 panels and is worked from the center out. I started with 9 stitches — 1 for each panel, and on every other row I increase 1 stitch at one side (always the same side) of the panel. This makes the pattern grow in a spiral.

My Order to Chaos Shawl (hardcopy pattern available from The Loopy Ewe and pdf pattern available from my Ravelry Pattern Store) is a spiral shawl.

ChaosandLucyA080309 240x183 Circular Shawl Construction

The pi shawl construction was created by Elizabeth Zimmermann, it’s name derived from the mathematical principal of pi. To knit a pi shawl, you double the distance between the increase-rounds (in which you double the number of stitches). My Exonumist’s Shawl (hardcopy pattern available from The Loopy Ewe and pdf pattern available from my Ravelry Pattern Store) is a pi shawl.

Shawl072309 160x240 Circular Shawl Construction

I also have a free pi shawl pattern available — the Shetland Pi (pattern available on my free patterns page).

Here is a photo of the current state of my current spiral shawl:

WIP050511 240x160 Circular Shawl Construction

It is growing, and each round is taking l-o-n-g-e-r to knit.

My Upcoming Lace Book

I’ve had several questions about my upcoming book, Wendy Knits Lace. One of the questions I often get is if the patterns in the book are ones that have already been published as single patterns. The answer is no — they are all never-before-published patterns with one exception: the Stacy Shawl. The Stacy Shawl had a very limited release as part of a kit in a collaboration with Stacy Little of Tempted Yarns. I did the pattern, she dyed the yarn and made up the kits. So many people asked for the pattern after the kits were gone, I decided that this would be a good place to include it.

The other question — is this a book of shawls? The answer is no, it is not just shawls, but an assortment of lacy knits. There are twenty patterns broken down as follows:

• 7 shawls/scarves/wraps (some with an option to make larger/smaller)
  • 3 gloves/mittens/mitts
  • 3 socks (one is kneesocks)
  • 4 hats/cowls/smoke rings
  • 3 sweaters

The difficulty level ranges from beginner to experienced and the yarns from heavy laceweight to heavy worsted.And of course there is an extensive techniques section with step-by-step instructions and illustrations.

There you have it — a little bit of everything.

Lucy sez:

Lucy050511 240x208 Circular Shawl Construction

“Not everything — I see no lace kitty toys in that list!”

Comments

1. Dianne says:

Your new book sounds great. I’m really looking forward to getting my copy. Cheers

2. That’s perfect information to know! I don’t often pre-order pattern books because I want to see them first, but yours is ordered and I can’t wait!
    Vicki (dragonfly7673)´s last blog post ..DragonflySoars 20110501- Winner!

3. I can’t wait!!

4. That Stacy is always an exception. :) I’ve already preordered my copy!

5. Hannah says:

Lucy’s remark really made me laugh!!! Oh, that new book sounds ideal. Your new shawl is so beautiful.

6. anne marie in philly says:

I am sooooooo looking forward to the lace book!

perhaps to appease lucy you should do your next book on knitted kitty toys.

7. I’m looking forward to the new book! And as mentioned before, Lucy needs love, too! Make her a lace toy!
    Jeanie Babbage´s last blog post ..It has been a year!!!

8. Judy Williams says:

This has nothing to do with your current project but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading about your knitting adventures and about Lucy. I’ve made several of your shawls and socks and they are totally fun. I too have a companion friend who is a mini Australian Shepherd who thinks she is a cat and likes to “help” me knit and especially block things. I tried to teach her to “fetch” and all I got was being herded when I went to pick up the ball for another try. Fetch she doesn’t get, herd she gets big time. I get to knit and all is good.

9. I will have to get your lace book, since I need to keep my Wendy collection intact. I love them all and your style so I know the new one will be just as good.

10. Amazing! How did you learn to knit, and when?

11. I’m looking forward to your current shawl completion. it is always a challenge to visualize the completed shawl in the scrunchy pile of lace on the needles stage.
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..a confluence of events

12. I’m sure it will be another huge success! I’m off to pre-order mine…
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Vive La France Project Bag

13. Wendy, just went back to your ‘chart construction’ tutorial from 2008
    Thanks for the info and now I have my chart template saved so that it will be ready to go any time I need it.
    Thanks for taking your take and effort.
    hugs
    Gerry
    Gerry´s last blog post ..Another Row

14. Margie Kovacic says:

O’k so now I’m entered to win. Please pick me.

15. I am thinking that I agree with Lucy. There are no lace kitty toys. Nothing for Bonnie & Clyde. Still sounds like a great book.
    :-)

16. Esther says:

That sounds like a great book and one that I’d get.

Had to laugh at Lucy’s comment. I can’t imagine what a lace kitty toy would look like after my Lorelai was done with it. Her claws should be classified as weapons of mass destruction.

17. Melissa says:

Can’t wait to get my copy of your book.

18. laura sequeira says:

Pre-ordered it a looong time ago. Love your patterns and love to knit lace–couple of shawls and lots of socks so far.

19. julia c. says:

Have not knitted much lace but will give your book a try. Sounds like a good mix of patterns and yarn.

20. Sounds like a great addition to any knitter’s library.