1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Now With More Linkage

My spiral shawl has become a bit too much for me to schlep on the train, so it has been relegated to “at-home only” knitting.

wip051011 240x160 Now With More Linkage

Specifically, it is now “at-home with the air conditioning on” knitting. This makes quite a lapful of wooly warmth while I work on it. Combine that with a lapful of purring quivering kitty love and I am in for a very warm time indeed.

So . . . I started something else for commuter knitting.

wip051011a 240x160 Now With More Linkage

This is the beginning of Sabine, a top-down raglan cardi from CocoKnits. Because I am almost always too warm, I chose to knit mine from a non-wool yarn. I am using Tilli Tomas Voile de la Mer, which is a silk/seacell blend laceweight and is one of my favorite lace yarns. (There may be a little lace cardi in my upcoming book knit from this yarn.)

I purchased my Voile de la Mer (in black) from Kpixie, who always has a nice selection and great customer service.

Although this is laceweight yarn, it is knit at a very loose gauge (to achieve the drapey look of the cardi).I will likely make several mods to the pattern because there are some elements I don’t like (for example, the two lines of yarnovers down the back do not appeal to me) and I may make short sleeves — but I haven’t decided on the sleeves yet.

I am using a U.S. size 8 needle, and the observant among you will note that the needle I am using is one of my beloved Signature Needle Arts circulars.

needles051011 240x160 Now With More Linkage

I believe the U.S. size 8 was the latest addition to their line of circular needles.

Because I love my Signature Needle Arts circulars, I purchased a Della Q Lily circular needle case to house them.

case051011 240x160 Now With More Linkage

And keep them away from a certain nosy kitty.

Lucy051011 240x162 Now With More Linkage

“You talking to me?”

Comments

1. I am a signature convert – I need them in every size!

2. Hey, my commuting knitting is with Voile de la Mer also!!

3. anne marie in philly says:

meredith says: “meow, cousin lucy, circular needle cables are FUN to bat and chew! and the needle tips make nice chew toys! but my mommy keeps them in a closet out of my reach, so I feel your pain. meow!”

4. I want to be a convert. I just need to pick a size and order!!

5. Your work is awe-inspiring. I like the Middy points best on the Signature Needles. I find the Stiletto to be too sharp. I may be in the minority on this. However, it is a good thing that they give us a choice. Thank you for introducing me to these outstanding needles.

6. I think that Lucy is such a gorgeous cat. I can’t wait to see the cardi when it is finished.

7. Annette says:

While you are at work, Lucy maybe will learn how to untie that beautiful DellaQ case and help herself!

8. Melissa says:

Leslie, I agree about Signatures. I love them, too. I will be adding more to my needle collection in the near future.

9. You needles are gorgeous. I hope to be able to try a set of signatures one day. You lace as always is inspiring to me.

10. Nannette says:

I’m just curious – when you are enjoying the lapful of purring quivering kitty love, do you ever experience the wet yarn phenomenon? Or the moisture that alerts you to the fact that the yarn has actually been bitten in two? Please tell me that this phenomenon is not limited to my house!

11. I will have to check out Sabine. I don’t need another project, but I’m always on the lookout (and I’m currently pretty much project monogamous with something huge).

12. Courtney says:

You should be on commission! On your recommendation, I stood in line for AGES at the MDS&WF on Saturday to buy 3 sets of circs. I can’t believe how much they’ve changed my knitting experience!

13. I have the 7′s and may need another size soon – I just can’t decide which one. They are a treat to use!

Will have to check out that yarn.

I’m sure Lucy wouldn’t dream of playing with that lovely case!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Give Peace a Chance Project Bag

14. Having looked at some of CocoKnits’ lovely designs I now have cable fever… just in time for summer. Unlike you I am always cold, except in the summer, so of course that’s when I get seized with the desire to knit warm things. I generally satisfy these urges with charity squares.

That needle case is so *cute*! I want one. Or six.
    Lucia´s last blog post ..Two on Tuesday

15. Shannon says:

The spiral shawls are so pretty! Is it possible to make one in a half-circle shape?

16. I’ve finally come out from under the rock and will be playing along, as soon as I clear the decks of some other things.
    Lynda´s last blog post ..WOW!!!