Alrighty — do you have your stitches cast on and your two set-up rows done? If you don’t, no worries — it won’t take you long to get that done. My last blog entry had the information for getting started, plus the link to the pdf document with the preliminary information.
ETA: Okay guys, I’m an idiot — the preliminary info was wrong — it should have been cast on 241 (don’t know how this got past both me and my tech editor). My deepest apologies!
So you don’t have to rip out your cast-on, on the first chart row, for the first and last chart stitch, simply k1 rather than do the decrease — so you would start the chart “k1, yo, ssk” and then work to the end of the chart. Then on the second side of the chart, end it “k2tog, yo, k1.” Make sense?
I’m correcting the preliminary info document to make it read cast on 241.
Now here is Part One of the pattern (in pdf format). This part has the first chart, which consists of 12 rows, and these 12 rows also written out line-by-line. Have fun! 😀
For those of you enlarging your shawl (by adding an extra 48 stitches), you will work each 12-stitch pattern repeat two more times (24 stitches) on each side of your shawl.
I encourage you (especially those of you new to lace) to place a stitch marker in-between each repeat of the pattern — it’ll make it much easier to keep track of where you are.
In the Ravelry discussion thread for this project I note a lot of talk about achieving gauge. Don’t be too concerned with this. The goal is to use a needle size a couple or few sizes larger than you would normally use with your yarn so that you get a nice loose fabric that will block out well and make the lace pattern really pop.
The next piece of the mystery will be posted in my blog on Sunday, May 22 at approximately 11:00am EDT. But be sure to stop by on Thursday the 19th, because I’ll have a giveaway for you.
I finished my circular shawl on Sunday. I’m calling the design “Tidepool” because that’s what it reminds me of.
I used Dream in Color Everlasting Sock in the Surf colorway. It took 3 full skeins plus a bit of a 4th skein, so I’m estimating 1400 yards total (being a bit generous with the yardage).
Unblocked, this baby was about 42″ in diameter. After I steam-blocked it, it grew to about 60″ in diameter.
I steam-blocked it instead of wet blocking for a couple of reasons. One, because I think I would have had to move furniture to get enough floor space for blocking. Two, I don’t think my back was up for it!
Pattern coming soon.
Lucy is all a-quiver with anticipation.