1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

More Mystery Shawlette

Have you finished Chart B of your Summer Mystery Shawlette? If you have, your work will look something like this:

ClueTwo 160x240 More Mystery Shawlette

And a close-up:

ClueTwoCloseup 240x160 More Mystery Shawlette

Now it is time . . . time for Chart C of the Summer Mystery Shawlette!

Get your copy here (in pdf format).

EDT: If you downloaded the pdf before 6:30pm on May 26 and you are knitting from the written out directions, please download it again — there was an error in Row 5 (written out) that has been corrected.

Again, you need to read the pattern carefully, as you will be knitting the 24 rows of this chart multiple times — how many times depends on whether you added stitches to your shawl. Fear not, all is explained in this piece of the pattern. So please do read it. icon smile More Mystery Shawlette

This is a bigger chunk o’ knitting than the previous clues, being 72 rows worth (if you are not resizing it, but knitting the pattern as written). But remember, the rows are getting shorter, so by the time you are done with this clue you will only 49 stitches total on your needles.

I timed it so this clue would be posted right before Memorial Day weekend so that those of you for whom this is a holiday weekend will have more to occupy your needles while you are enjoying a hopefully long weekend.

The final clue will be released a week from today, on June 2 at approximately 4:30 pm EDT.

Lookie Here

Yes, just what I needed — more yarn.

Yarn052611 240x160 More Mystery Shawlette

This is Aade Long, an Estonian wool yarn that reminds me a lot of Kauni. I purchased mine from an eBay seller in Latvia, whose store is here. I can recommend this store — the prices are low, the shipping is reasonable, and the seller nice.

This is a fingering weight wool with long color repeats and approximately 440 yards per 100 grams. I think I’ll use mine to knit another triangle shawl.

I am knitting along on the Estonian Pi . . .

WIP052611 240x160 More Mystery Shawlette

And Lucy is too busy to supervise.

Lucy052611 240x160 More Mystery Shawlette

Comments

1. It says to knit across the 12-stitch patterns repeat 5 times before doing the edge of the chart, the center stitch, and repeating the whole thing again. Don’t we currently have 7 of that repeat? It is entirely possible that I have missed something.

2. Yay! It’s here!

3. Kate- edge stitches take up two repeats from the last chart to the new one. You end with 93 stitches on previous chart, and on the new chart 12*5 + 17 edge st + 16 edge st is 93 again :) (if you look closely on the first row on part 3 the last and first 12 edge sts are the same as the repeat until sts have been decreased enough that the repeat is no longer possible).

4. whoa-starting to wish I hadn’t added those 48 sts!! just kidding-but I haven’t finished the last set of rows yet…I’ll have th knit like the wind to catch up by next Thursday. It is beautiful- even mine looks nice even though I’m not very far along.
    Loving this KAL! Using my Wollemeise from Loopy’s Spring Fling 2011, loving it!

5. woo hoo!!! What I’ve done looks like your pic, except mine is knit a bit looser. I’ve been waiting since Tuesday for Part Three. I got so into this I let everything go (and I mean everything, sometimes forgetting to eat) to get caught up as I started a week late. This is my first knit along and my first mystery anything.

6. BarbaraR says:

I actually set a timer so I wouldn’t forget to print this out. I’m loving it!

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Barbara

7. Kristen Machowski says:

I absolutely love your work its just stunning. I’ve never tried to knit any of your patterns because I’m still a newbie and your big shawls scare me, also I haven’t a clue how to do socks but I’m just going to dive right on in and knit your summer mystery shawlette and roll with the punches. So far it’s going well.

I have the same breed cat as you and she always seems to be around when I’m trying to block my work. I joke and say she’s guarding it to make sure it doesn’t run off.

8. Mary Lou says:

Whoot! Guess what I’m doing tonight? Yep, knitting on the mystery shawlette! Thanks, Wendy. this is so much fun!

9. Wendy!! (she whines). You’re going too fast for me . . . I just had to rip back the first 20 rows because I screwed up somewhere and had 13 stitches in one repeat and 11 in another and I couldn’t find the mistake. I may be knitting forever (I’m supposed to like that part, right?)

10. Thank you! This is so much fun!

11. Leslie F says:

Thank you for Part C, and hope you have a peaceful, fun Memorial Day weekend!

And a girl has gotta have her yarn for a long weekend!!! ;-D

12. Love the pattern so far. I was doing it from the written directions but changed my mind when I couldn’t get row 5 to work out, however it works using the chart. Not sure if it is my error or not…

13. Just loving this project. Finished Chart B the same day I started it….was anxious to see results. Will start Chart C tomorrow (hope I can wait that long) a today has been a long and tiring, but fun day spent with my daughter-in-law. Hope to have this Chart finished before the
    next set of instructions comes out next week. Happy Knitting.

14. Thanks Wendy! Love watching your progress :)

15. Whoohoo! Thank you! What a wonderful birthday present! You’re the best! :D

16. Judy Williams says:

Just in time. I am still recovering from total knee replacement and this project has continued to keep my little fingers happy. I’m doing the 48 stich addiltion because I have so much “dead” time when I’m doing my leg exercises and concentrating on the knitting actually means I’m doing more!

17. Kristen–So glad you decided to give this a try. Other than it taking so long to do the cast on (I’ve only done shawls from the bottom up), this is one of the easiest patterns I’ve knit. Once I got all my stitch markers where they belonged and counted each repeat as I went, this has been pretty much smooth sailing. I haven’t had to use any of my lifelines yet!

18. Loving this project. Just waiting for clue 3 to print out.

19. Kristen Machowski says:

Beth- Thank you that puts me at ease. I just started yesterday so I have the cast on all done and a little of part one. So far so good.

20. Cathy Goldman says:

I went a stray at some point although I don’t know why. I have 219 sts t the end of chart two. 3 end sts/5st/then I have 17….yes I said 17 repeats../4 sts/3 end sts.
    Do I have to frog this whole hting and start over????!!!!! I am so afraid of that answer…that’s a lot of fudging and I know ripping is the answer. Maybe tomorrow
    oh well

21. I had the same issue that Jen did on row 5 of the written instructions. You will make a chart reader out of me because that is how I figured out what to do. . .

I’m having a great time working on this!!!

22. Hindrek says:

Hey Wendy – there is a reason that Aade Long reminds you of Kauni. They have the same manufacturer – Raasiku. Kauni is just labelled/retailed by a Danish company, etc…check out http://kuduja.blogspot.com/2011/03/uks-selgitusa-clarification.html for further explanation!

23. See Lucy is getting prepared for a weekend of mystery shawlette knitting — needless to say that is my agenda with lots of sunshine! Enjoying this knit immensely maybe because i’ve just finished 2 of your shawls.

24. Ugh! Started row 7 last night and couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. Apparently the “wrong” was in the last row I did. Being a newbie to lace has been challenging to say the least. Too many stitches to frog back, I guess I’ll start over, again. ( 4th try may be the charm!)

25. Sheryl LaGood says:

I believe there is an error in the written instructions for row 5, chart C. The chart itself works out though.

26. Hi Wendy,

So funny! I am making your mystery shawl from Aade Lone. The wool feels a bit rough to work with but it becomes softer when handling it. If you like, you can see the colorway on my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lowlandoriginals/5754186234/in/photostream. It is my first attemp on knitting lace and I like it very much. Thank you for the pattern.
    Renee

27. Liz in Missouri says:

I had to wait til today (Friday) to come into work to print off the chart for part 3. Now I have 3 more hours of work to go and I can hardly wait to get home to get to work.
    This is fun! I hope we can do it again !

28. Marna Ginsberg says:

Jen, you are right. Chart C in Words — First Repeat, Row 5 is incorrect. It should read as follows: K3, *ssk, yo, ssk, k1, yo, k1, k2tog, k1, ssk, k1, yo, k3, (k2, yo, k1, k2tog, k1, ssk, k1, yo, k3) 5 times, k2, yo, k1, k2tog, k1, ssk, k1, yo, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog* k1, work between asterisks again, k3 (181 stitches). For the Second Repeat and Third Repeat, rows 3 and 5 are also written in words as identical, but I think they will be different, as in the First Repeat.

WENDY: Would you consider making the changes and posting a corrected pdf file? I am really enjoying making this shawlette. Thank you for the pattern!

29. While I was waiting SO PATIENTLY for this clue (see previous comments on last posts,) we had a minor weather event here in Tennessee. Very minor, but I live out in the woods. (Past Only, Spot, Bucksnort, and Sawdust, but not quite to Fly, Santa Fe, and Boston.) My power went out Wednesday and just came back on! Did I check the freezer first? The a/c unit? The water heater? NO!!! I had to get that pattern in case the power went off again! I knit to coal oil lamp and the Grand Ole Opry on the radio last night! I was feeling needy!
    Thanks, Wendy!

30. Thank you, Wendy. Hope you have an enjoyable, relaxing holiday weekend.
    Sonja Poor´s last blog post ..The Idler

31. Oh, my! I’m not knitting along but it is LOVELY and very tempting.

32. You certainly seem to be enamored of anything and everything Estonian. I had to smile as I read the name of your pdf file for part three. I can’t believe that you have even started to learn the language! ;-)

33. I would just like to add that Kauni and Aade lõng are the same yarns. Kauni is a name of a distributor. I realise that it is a problem, for people outside Estonia are inclined to think that these are different yarns. Your shawl is beautiful and the yarn is perfect for shawls!

34. I’m afraid to say that mine looks nothing like yours…but for some reason that doesn’t surprise me…lol…I will however keep knitting until the end…It might just be my imagination…

35. LaDonna says:

Wendy, I’ve really enjoyed knitting this until I got thru Chart C 1 time and realized I don’t have enough yarn. I had 420 yds. I added the 48 stitches so I figured I was safe with the 20 extra yards. Wrong. What should be the correct yardage for the total shawl including the extra 48 stitches? I have a couple of other friends who did not add the 48 and they have run out as well. I love the pattern, but if I do it again, I”d like to know the correct yardage. Thanks!

36. I am anxious to get back at knitting the Mystery Shawl. The first part is done and now on to the second part. There was a death in my family so it has put me behind some, but I know I will get at it once again.

37. Wendy…I have to go out of town tomorrow, and will have no computer access…would you please please please send me the next installment in the Summer Mystery Shawlette??? I’m going to be ready for it….thank you!!!
    Cara

38. Finished Chart C and love this project. This section took a little longer than the previous ones but so worth it. Can’t wait to get today’s final instructions. I’m pretty sure I will do this one again and next time add some stitches to make it into a shawl.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Wendy Johnson.  It is out of Blackberry Ridge Silk Blend Laceweight. I’ve begun the Summer Mystery shawlette out of Sleeping Dragon in Key Lime.  I’m also working on a stripy sock out of the Amy Lee [...]