1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

The End is Nigh

The end of the Summer Mystery Shawlette, that is.

If you have completed Chart C, your work should look something like this:

ClueThree 240x160 The End is Nigh

Here is the final clue in pdf format, which contains the last chart, Chart D, along with that chart in written out line-by-line form.

This is the smallest piece of the pattern, just 20 progressively shorter rows plus the bind-off. Blocking instructions are included.

I hope you have enjoyed this KAL, and if you did, you will consider buying my upcoming book: Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace, which will be released on August 23, 2011. There — you didn’t think I would let you get away without an advertisement, did you?

My Hitchcock Writing Desk

In the comments “amy1″ mentioned having a writing desk identical to mine. It is a Hitchcock Writing Desk and just for grins, I searched a little to see if I could find one online. Here is a listing with photo for one that was sold at auction. It appears to be identical to mine. I bought mine from Ethan Allen in the mid-1980s. A deciding factor in its purchase was that it matched the Hitchcock chairs I already had — which had been my grandmother’s chairs.

Hitchcock060211 240x160 The End is Nigh

These are “Kling Turtle Back Hitchcock” chairs, and while I’ve seen pictures of many different Hitchcock turtle back chairs, I’ve not found one identical to mine.

ChairBack060211 240x160 The End is Nigh

Sadly, the Hitchcock company went out of business a few years ago.

My Windsor chair (which I love) is also made by Hitchcock, but is not decorated in their distinctive style.

Windsor060211 160x240 The End is Nigh

I love chairs icon smile The End is Nigh

Lucy prefers to stretch out on the floor when she watches tv.

Lucy060211 240x160 The End is Nigh

The first person who leaves a comment correctly identifying the show and the episode Lucy is watching will win a prize! And a bonus if you can give me the exact name of the episode.

Comments

1. Thanks a bunch for the KAL. It has been a lot of fun. Look forward to the new book.

2. Thanks for the lovely pattern Wendy. I was never able to knit lace but your patterns make it easy. Yes, I will be buy8ing your new book.

3. I never thought I could do anything with lace, but you made it easy! I pre-ordered your book way before the KAL! Thanks Wendy.

4. FYI you refer to the chart as “chart C” multiple times in this clue, even though it’s chart D. =D
    Calophi´s last blog post ..Cassette Tape Crochet

5. The knitalong has been great fun,Wendy!
    Thanks so much for being a terrific Mystery Host!

Of course, I’m going to chime in behind you in hoping everyone buys Wendy Knits Lace! I can vouch for the beauty that lies within its pages!

6. Sherry Coleman says:

Looks like “24″, but I haven’t watched much of it, so I haven’t a clue which episode.

7. Kristine M. says:

Thanks for the fun KAL, Wendy! And I’m trying to figure out what Lucy’s watching but it’s challenging.

8. Thank you so much for this fun KAL! This was my first mystery shawl and I really enjoyed it!
    Pat´s last blog post ..Summer Learning

9. Thank you for a beautiful pattern. I love it!

10. This was my first mystery shawl! What a joy it was to kal with others! I also learned alot from reading the different threads- you know how I lurk! I have pre-ordered your book and am anxious to receive it.

11. Love the KAL! Thanks so much. This is also my first mystery anything and I’m still on Chart C due to lack of knitting time and tendonitis. I love the pattern and can’t wait to finish and flaunt it. I have all your sock books so of course I’ll be adding your lace book to the collection. I don’t watch a lot of TV so I’m not even going to guess what is keeping lucy so entertained,

12. Shirley. in PA says:

Wendy thank you so much. This is the first time I (a) knit exclusively from charts, and (b) actually will finish a KAL. I love this pattern, and was looking at the patterns you have for sale but they don’t say which one are bottom up. I love the decreasing when my attention flags. I plan to buy your lace book, of course, but was hoping you might be going on a book tour to Philly again, in which case I can buy it and get you to sign it. Shirley

13. linda-kay says:

I am so looking forward to your lace book! This mystery shawl pattern has been so much fun o knit! It’s the first time I’ve done one from the bottom up and I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy that. Thank you! No guess from me on the TV show because I’m on my laptop and can only see the bottom inch of the TV screen! lol!

14. Wendy, I’m really loving this KAL. I’m only halfway through the last part, but I’m making progress! I will definitely get your book! I had started and quit about 3 lace shawls before this one, always getting frustrated. Your tip to put markers between each repeat was a light bulb moment for me – keeping them all separated and making sure I had 12 stitches in each one helped me to keep on top of mistakes (not that I haven’t made a few and fudged to get the right number of stitches, but nothing massive enough to make me rip it out). My knitting group is very impressed!

15. Karen in Baltimore says:

Finished! This has been a lot of fun. Thanks so much. I’m looking forward to your book.

16. Sue Werner says:

Can’t wait to finish my shawlette. Thanks so much for making the pattern available.

17. Hmm, no guesses. Not from me either, but I don’t think it is “24″ – the formatting of the clock is wrong.

And I’m behind on the shawlette, so no comments there yet either. Other than, no one told me about the suspense factor on the first row…

18. HeatherB says:

All I can say about the show is it looks VERY familiar and I know I’ll say “d’oh” when I find out what it is.

19. Ran out of yarn on row 23 of the previouschart. Waiting while it wings it’s way here from Whistler… Knew I was chancing it but had to jump right in. Now, I won’t download the last chart until I’m in possession of the yarn… :-) Thanks, Wendy! It’s been thoroughly enjoyable. Last KAL I did was the Fiddlesticks Creatures of the Reef shawl when it first came out a few years back. Have liked the mystery format. My Amazon order did not go through the first time you mentioned your book but I just went back and completed the order. Can’t wait to see it!

20. Mary Lou says:

Of COURSE I will order your book! Thanks for the fun KAL.

21. Thanks for the KAL and the great shawlette. Your book has been preoredered since it first was available on Amazon! Can’t wait to add it to the other three and see the new patterns. Your socks are the best and the first book is a very fun read.

22. Anxious to order (and receive) your book! The KAL was very fun and the shawl is turning out beautifully. Thank you for sharing!

Don’t have a clue what’s got Lucy so entranced. Mine like animal clips from Funniest Home Videos and certain sports.

23. Maureen says:

Thank you for the KAL. I’m waaay behind, due to restless legs and pain pills making my evening knitting very unreliable ;-0 However, I’m doing a little each day when awake and calm. I’ve always wanted to knit lace, since it’s more useful in California than, say, aran sweaters. So this was my first KAL and first lace together, and I’m looking forward to your book..
    No guess on the TV program, but I hope it has a cat in it.

24. Love that the new book has a variety of projects. I plan on knitting everyone without getting bored!! I’m behind on the KAL but am enjoying it. I have learned so much on this only my second lace shawlette. BTW Lucy is beautiful – no evidence of her BWL (before Wendy life).

25. Thanks Wendy, this has been a fun knit and I can’t believe I have kept up and am ready for part D. Those chairs are the bees knees :)
    Looking forward to your book release!

26. dr. who the time of angels….lol…just a guess…

27. Is it “Nothing good happens after 2am”, from “How I Met Your Mother”? If not, I’m stumped!

28. beautiful estonian shawl…
    How about animal planet – birds

29. You’re kidding with the ad, right? I mean, you know that each and every one of us pre-ordered that book the second we knew about it, right? Well, I know that I did and have already been waiting forjustaboutever for it. Will August ever get here?? :-))

30. laura sequeira says:

I have loved this KAL–finished the last chart on Sunday so have been anxiously awaiting the last piece. And like others, I preordered your next book awhile ago. Thank you!

31. Lucy must be watching ‘Whale Wars’
    The knitting is beautiful as usual!
    Jeanie Babbage´s last blog post ..It has been a year!!!

32. Susan from Phoenix says:

Loved the mystery aspect of this KAL. My project is blocking and beautiful! Thanks for a pattern that was understandable to a novice lace knitter.

33. Love the KAL. Two more gals in our knitting group are also starting it. Already pre-ordered your book – “Wendy Knits Lace” – can’t wait. :-) Thanks.

34. Could Lucy be watching “24″ Episode 11. Day 8: 2:00am-3:00am March 8, 2010 Jack tracks a determined suspect and a shakeup at CTU creates a tense hour?

35. Lee Long says:

It has to be Dr. Who since there was a marathon last Saturday. The episode has to be “The Rebel Flesh”. She has to stay current on The Dr.
    Can’t wait for the book.

36. Just started part one. It’s a fun knit. Have your new book saved on Amazon. :-)

37. I’m thinking Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but no idea which episode

38. Karen Shannon says:

I love the shawl. I thought Lucy was watching West Wing.

39. I think I know the show “24″ but I don`t know which one. If I watched the show I quess I would know. I`m going to quess. is it epsoide 26 ?????

40. Gail Rector says:

Haven’t a clue on Lucy’s TV preferences.
    Have had your book pre-ordered for a while now.
    My knitting life got slow and scrambled when the Rx effecting the opium channel kicked in and got me through frozen shoulder on the left and gall bladder removal on the right. I haven’t decided to frog or fix … I must have been hallucinating!
    But I am determined to finish it… thank you so much!

41. I say Angel. But I have no idea what episode.. I just seem to remember seeing the times on it..

42. 24? Even though I’ve never watched the show.

43. Melissa says:

I don’t want to wait until August for your lace book. Can you make it come sooner? That would be so cool. Oh well. I could dream.

Thank you for the KAL. Can’t wait to finish.

44. Chris in CA says:

First KAL I’ve ever done and it was great. I had your book on pre-order even before the KAL. I don’t know the tv show, I love Lucy ;-).

45. “Knowing” you, I would say Dr, Who. But that is just a guess.
    garret´s last blog post ..Whats on my needles

46. Thank you for this wonderful KAL. My lace-knitting confidence has gone through the roof and I’m no longer “afraid” of knitting lace now.

I pre-ordered your soon-to-be released book as soon as I saw it pop up on Amazon. I’m looking forward to seeing the new patterns and diving in when it arrives.

47. it’s always sunny in philadelphia?

48. Eugenia Twiddlethorpe says:

One of the Charmed episodes. Either Witch Trial or Morality Bites would be my guess.

49. First KAL I ever attempted. You gave us clues at just the right times, just as I finished up. I shall print off and complete the shawlette tonight. Thanks!
    And I will guess Lucy is watching Seinfeld, the episode Puerto Rico Day.

50. Marissa says:

It’s “How I Met Your Mother”, season 1, episode 18, “Nothing Good Happens After 2 AM”

51. Congrats on your upcoming book!

52. Thank you so much for this Kal. This was my first KAL, first time knitting lace, first shawlette, and first time knitting from a chart! I loved every minute of it and learned so much!!! I will definitely be buying your book!

53. Thanks for KAL

54. Marianne says:

I did the KAL to try a bottom up shawl and have thoroughly enjoyed myself! Thanks for that. Book has been pre-ordered for a while now.
    TV show…I know what it is not….24…cause Jack Bauer always did 2am to 3am! With that said, I have no idea but Lucy loves it.

55. Lucy’s watching Dr. Who, “The Rebel Flesh”. I downloaded “The Almost People” since it’s not going to be playing here until this weekend. I have to say, I was underwhelmed. These are not my favorite episodes.

Thank you for the KAL. I am trying to improve my lace knitting and this was perfect to help me do that!

56. It is TrueBlood!

57. Robin F. says:

Loved the KAL. I am awaiting a copy of your book, it is on order and I have been showing off my Wendy shawls to my knit groups to spread the gospel.

58. It looks like How I Met Your Mother

59. Denise in Kent, WA says:

I haven’t been able to participate in the KAL (remodeling will do that to a person) but love knitting lace and am looking forward to your new book. Sorry to hear Hitchcock went out of business; I have a beautiful dining room set of theirs, also purchased in the 80s, decorated much like your chair & desk.

60. I so enjoy your blog, Wendy. It is so beautiful and you give so much information. I have all of your books and have already preordered your lace book. I can’t wait to get it! Thank you for all of the time you put into your blog and books and for sharing your talent and teaching me how to knit. Your photographs are beautiful and are so inspiring! And, Lucy! What can I say! She is magnificent, to say the least!

61. Sheryl LaGood says:

My finished shawl is soaking as we speak – can’t wait to block it and see how the lace opens up and shows off. Thanks so much for hosting this KAL. It was great fun, so rewarding, and paced perfectly!
    ps your new book has been pre-ordered through Amazon, and I’m very much looking forward to the day it arrives on my door step. Keep up the great work!

62. Patty Valdez says:

Thank you, this knit a-long helped me (distract my mind) a bit with two sudden deaths in my family. I have just purchased your book thru Amazon to show my appreciation and show my support for wonderful designers like you.

63. Marissa is right!!!! good thinking!

64. Liz in Missouri says:

The shawl is wonderful and I think I’ll be making it again in an enlarged version. Thank you so much for the fun of the KAL. Have you given this pattern a name yet? I’m enjoying checking out the Ravelry spoilers thread and seeing what yarn everyone has chosen to use for it.
    I think my LYS will have your new Lace book – so I’m waiting for it to show up there. I learned to knit toe-up socks from your books. I’m so glad you are here!

65. Gretcheng says:

What a fun KAL, and I love the shawlette! I still have to block it, but I’m wearing it around my neck today anyway. :-) I don’t know what Lucy is watching, but if she’s like me the only must-see is NCIS. Thanks– Gretcheng

66. Mrs. Meg C says:

I started the shawl, but haven’t gotten very far. My TV gues is Big Bang Theory.

I know you’re intellectual enough to find their humor funny (though really you just have to laugh a Sheldon regardless)

67. Elizabeth Bragdon says:

Is the episode “Hush” from Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

68. Heather K says:

A lovely little shawlette, Wendy, and lots of fun to knit.
    Thanks again.

69. Shameless plug for your upcoming book! {nicely done!} And yes, I certainly hope to get a copy!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this, my first ever KAL, and first ever lace shawl! It’ll be wonderful to finish and see how it looks once it’s been blocked. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely shawlette pattern with us all!
    Stephanie´s last blog post ..mystery knit along continued

70. I’m guessing the show “24 Hours” because there’s a time on the screen. But I’ve never watched it before so I couldn’t possibly guess the episode.

Can’t wait to buy your lace book!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Wildflowers on Grey Project Bag

71. This has been a great KAL – thank you, Wendy. I will be buying your new lace book!
    Lucy is watching “How I Met Your Mother”, 18th Episode, Season 1 – “Nothing Good Happens After 2 A.M.

72. Thank you so much for such a great kal. And especially for the written out pattern for those of us that are chart challenged. I know it was a bit of a pain for you, but it’s easier to sip (wine) and knit from a pattern…all those little symbols tend to run together after the first glass. :)

73. Barbara Fredrick says:

Actually, I think Lucy is quite sensitive to the feng sui, because she is an Asian cat – I’d guess Himilayan. So, she probably appreciates all your work. Or she will after she gets over being dismayed that things have moved!

I can’t see enough of the screen to guess what Lucy is watching, but my cat Princess often likes NCIS: Los Angeles, so that’s my guess.

74. Thanks for your beatiful pattern.Love those so much.It’s very creative
    Van025´s last blog post ..How To Apply Loan Fast And Easy

75. I think it’s already been said, but I think it’s “How I Met Your Mother” “Nothing Good Happens after 2 A.M.”

76. No clue on the TV show.

My shawlette is done and waiting for me to block it. I love it. It was a really fast little knit. I think I’ll make it again and add the extra repeat(s).

Thanks for the pattern.
    Judy´s last blog post ..SummerTime and random thoughts

77. Hi Wendy,
    Thank you for doing the mystery knit along. I’ve enjoyed it completely! And of course I’ll get the lace book, can’t wait for it in fact. I have all of your books including the first black and white one which my MIL gave to me before I even knew what a blog was or that other people were talking about knitting in a funny way. I brought it on vacation with me and spent many hours laughing. I expect the new book will be more like the sock books but that’s good too. I just love your work. Thank so much for sharing with all of us,
    Steph

78. I mostly lurk, but I wanted to speak up and say thank you so much for the knitalong. I really enjoyed it, and I have now discovered that I like knitting lace shawls! Good thing, too, because I am drowning in hats, scarves, gloves, etc. down here in ALABAMA! Shawls are something I could actually wear. Looking forward to your book.

And please – I have no idea from the screen, but now I’m dying to know if it’s How I Met Your Mother, 24, or Doctor Who!
    Beth Bachuss´s last blog post ..Dali and Titian at the High

79. Thanks for the fun KAL! I’ll be anxiously awaiting the book!!

80. Love, love your just finished work!! Would like to win the yarn. It is my favorite color!

81. Your book is preordered—can’t wait !