1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Sunday Blocking

I finished my shawl late Saturday afternoon, so today blocked it.

First I laid it out to take a pre-blocking photo. Lucy helped.

unblocked061211 240x230 Sunday Blocking

She helped a lot.

unblocked061211a 240x136 Sunday Blocking

Pre-blocked, the shawl measures 54″ along the top edge and 26″ down the center back.

I grabbed my trusty bottle of Soak.

Soak061211 160x240 Sunday Blocking

And I let the shawl sit in a bath of warm water and Soak for 15 minutes or so.

Soaking061211 240x160 Sunday Blocking

Because the Aade Lõng yarn is not terribly soft (it’s like Shetland wool), I added a good slug of hair conditioner to the rinse water. After gently squeezing out as much water as possible, I put it down on the floor to start blocking. Lucy helped.

Wet061211 240x160 Sunday Blocking

In spite of Lucy’s help, I got the shawl pinned out.

Blocked061211 240x144 Sunday Blocking

I even managed to get a photo when Her Highness consented to move out of the way.

Blocked061211a 240x144 Sunday Blocking

Lightly blocked, this measures 62″ along the top edge and 33″ down the center back. I used approximately 600 yards of Aade Lõng Artistic 8/2 wool, and knit it on 4mm needles. Free pattern coming soon!

I am now working on an un-bloggable project, but will start my Camp Loopy proect on Wednesday, using this yarn:

Yarn061211 240x160 Sunday Blocking

Skinny Bugga!

Lucy sez:

Lucy061211 240x160 Sunday Blocking

“I don’t know how Momma would manage without my help!”

Comments

1. It’s gorgeous! I love the way the color striping worked out!

2. Shirley. in PA says:

Love the reds, really dramatic in the lace pattern. Lucy looks so gorgeous in the last photo, her blue eyes sparkle.

3. So beautiful, Wendy!

4. That Lucy is so helpful! She has to inspect the quality of your work, you know. She’s only looking out for your best interests. :)

5. Love the colors. The long color repeats are beautifull

6. Very pretty! I love the way the color shading came out. Did you pick the starting point to get it that way or was it happenstance? (Things that good are rarely accidental, in my experience.)

But I thought you put Lucy in the pictures for scale?

7. joyce t. says:

Beautiful shawl! I’d be interested to hear how effective the slug of hair conditioner is in softening a “scratchy” wool. I’ve always steered clear of Kauni and others that seem to fall into that category, but I love the color effects, so if hair conditioner does the trick, that would be great!
    No doubt Miss Lucy, exhausted by her strenuous efforts in aid of blocking, will need a nice long Sunday afternoon nap!

8. ‘Course you don’t need me to tell you how stunningly gorgeous this is with its amazing color change and beautiul patterning, so I won’t bother.
    Oops.
    Desiree´s last blog post ..Pre-Think

9. this shawl is gorgeous – question how do you achieve the points – when i blocked my shawls i could not get the depth / stretch that you seem to achieve without over strtching somewhere else

10. Lia Domingues says:

Oh, Wendy dear, I must admit that your knitting is terrifically beautiful, but Lucy makes my heart melt… lol
    Nice work, by the way! ;-)

11. You always knit up beaties, but this one is a stunner! And Lucy sets it off just right1

12. hmmm, I meant beaUties….

13. You and Lucy are the perfect knitting team. Lovely shawl. Nice Skinny Bugga too.

14. When knitting lace do you do anything special when weaving yarn ends?
    Do you cover this as well as various techniques in your upcoming book?
    Thanks.

15. Hair conditioner softens Kauni type wool? Do explain. Thanks

16. When knitting lace do you do anything special when weaving yarn ends?
    Is this a topic you cover in your upcoming book?

17. I love this post!
    Kathryn´s last blog post ..Little Things

18. Love the post!
    Kathryn´s last blog post ..Little Things

19. Lovely, lovely, lovely.
    Here’s a blocking question. Do you think that the length of time you leave an item soak impacts on how much you’re able to block it? I made a lovely shawl, but it didn’t block out as big as I wanted it to, or to the size of the model. (No, I didn’t swatch.) I was pretty aggressive in my blocking, but wondered if I had let it soak longer if I would’ve gotten more out of it.

20. The yarn is beautiful! Love that Lucy is such a big help with blocking! Can’t wait to see the next project.

21. Very handsome! Looking forward to the pattern release.

22. What a beauty she is, and also the scarf. Glad to see Lucy’s such a helper. That yarn color really made this extra beautiful. Looking forward to the pattern.

23. Oh, wow, that’s beautiful!

24. Love the finished view, with and without Lucy. Love the colors.

25. It looks beautiful! Lucy seems satisfied with it also.

26. I kept looking for the “love” button under the shawl. It’s gorgeous!

27. Amazing!! Just beautiful!! How do get so much knitting done so quickly? I just pre-orderd your new book today, but August is so far away. Excited about this new pattern coming out. Thanks!!!

28. The shawl is just beautiful and Lucy is even more beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos of both!

29. Good morning from the UK,

I just love how your shawl has turned out and especially how the colour of the wool changes the depth of the shading, it is simply gorgeous!

Lisax

30. Wendy, You do beautiful work. Mavis

31. Fiery colors! Or maybe intensely floral? Anyway, a very lovely shawl. I’ve received my Camp Loopy order, & cast on for your Seriously Simple Shawl in two colors of Loopy’s Solid Series (Ice & Serenity Green). Found some really huge marshmallows at the WalMart, should have bought ‘em for S’mores.

32. Kristine M. says:

Of course Lucy has to help! And the shawl is beautiful with those red color changes making the design even prettier.

33. Beautiful! I’m going to have to keep that hair conditioner in mind.
    Gina E´s last blog post ..Addicted

34. Gretcheng says:

I also use hair conditioner on knitting–not sure where I got that tip, but it goes way back. If it makes my hair smoother and softer, it should have the same effect on other protein fibers such as wool. I bought an economy bottle of unscented conditioner for knitwear use.

This latest shawl looks lovely! I especially like how the yarn shading highlights the pattern so perfectly. I’ve started another Summer Mystery, but maybe I should have waited for this pattern… Fortunately, I have more yarn suitable for shawls in the stash!

35. Wendy, the shawl is gorgeous!!!!!!!

36. Bluetoespinner says:

The colors and the pattern are breathtaking!!

37. Denise in Kent, WA says:

The shawl is pretty in its own right, but the shading in that yarn elevates it to stunning. Bravo! Lucky Tracy. :)

38. I’m thinking Tracy might have to really plead with Her Highness Lucy to have this shawl for her own! It looks like it is one of Lucy’s favorites!

I was so enamored with this beautiful yarn that I actually went over to e-bay and bid on some of it in the same colorway! Let’s see if I am a lucky winner!

39. Robin F. says:

Love the new shawl and am looking forward to the pattern. I have used Kauni for a few projects and love the long color changes. Tiger is jealous that you let Lucy help because I won’t let him help me block my shawls. He like to play with the pins.

40. Beverly (db81971) says:

I’ve been watching you for years blocking your items on your LR rug. You never use a towel, aren’t you afraid of the yarn bleeding on your carpet? Do you have a trick to getting the project to rinse clear? I just recently made your Summer mystery shawl in Lisa Souza Sock! Merino and that thing bled and bled and bled, even with a bit of vinegar added.

41. Your colors for your Camp Loopy project are lovely. Mine are much more monochrome (I have a lemony yellow and a melon variegated).

42. That is absolutely gorgeous, Wendy! Can’t wait to cast on for mine! Thank you once again for offering the pattern for free. I’ve already pre-ordered the book, too!
    Maria

43. it looks like lucy loves it and wants it for herself! love the colours you used!

44. Penelopeb says:

I really like how the colours have finished up in this shawl, Im looking forward to knitting it x

45. Wendy, this is breath-takingly beautiful, the yarn is gorgeous and the pattern does it justice. Also, I noticed your little helper was no where to be seen when you were giving the shawl it’s bath… Was she on another ‘assignment?” Actually, I really did just pop by for a peek at Lucy and was well rewarded for my efforts!

46. Wow, the colour changes in that shawl are amazing. Looks like a gorgeous pattern too.
    Em´s last blog post ..Damnit- blogging mojo

47. Soxy Jane says:

Finished in three days – WOW! How many hours a day did you spend on it? Was this more than the usual time you spend knitting, which is…how many hours per day, by the way?

Lucy really was a help – it’s nice to see her for comparing the beofre and after size of the shawl (besides seeing how lovely she is, of course)