I am about an inch away from the point on the front of my lace tunic where I divide the stitches for the v-neck.
Doing decreases for neck shaping in an all-over lace design is enough to give one the shakes. So I charted out my decreases using Excel. Here is the template I used:
(If you click on the picture you can make it bigger to see the detail.)
ETA: Ignore that extra decrease on the left side — that’s just an error — a stitch I neglected to erase from the chart in making the template.
I haven’t filled in the lace pattern on this template, but when I do, it will represent the center three repeats of the lace pattern I am using. The front of my sweater has an odd number of repeats, and the decreases extend beyond the number of stitches for the center repeat, hence three repeats are charted for the neckline chart.
The chart shows the right side rows only — I will be decreasing one stitch at each neck edge on every right side row. I have filled in those neck decreases. Now I just need to fill in the lace pattern. Having the decreases all charted out like this helps me figure out how far I can extend the lace pattern on each row. No fuss, no muss!
I don’t know about you, but I find it mildly annoying when I have a pattern that has a repeating motif that just tells you to decrease “x” number of stitches at the neck, adjusting the pattern to accommodate the decreases. I just don’t like to think that hard while I’m knitting. 😉
Lucy is currently not into thinking hard either.