1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Mittens Accomplished

I think this is the fastest I’ve ever knit a pair of mittens: I started my cabled mittens for my Camp Loopy project at about 8:00pm Saturday night and finished them almost exactly 24 hours later: Sunday night at 8:00pm!

Mittens071811 240x180 Mittens Accomplished

These mittens are my own design, knit from Madelinetosh Tosh DK in the “Kelp” colorway on a U.S. size 5 needle. They were a fast (obviously) and fun knit. I used 1 skein of yarn with just a bit left over.

On Sunday afternoon I took time out from mitten-knitting and spent a couple of hours finishing up my lace tunic.

TunicFlat071811 240x142 Mittens Accomplished

I decided that the neckline was a little too loose for my liking (I had done a very narrow garter-stitch neckband), so I did one row of single crochet around the whole neck to stabilize it. Perfect! Just what it needed!

TunicNeckline071811 240x160 Mittens Accomplished

This was knit from 3 skeins of Hand Maiden Swiss Silk — a 100% silk fingering weight yarn. I used three skeins — just under 1300 yards. The tunic is 30″ long and 56″ around — way over-sized, which is exactly what I wanted.

It has long sleeves, dropped shoulders, and a deep vee-neck. I’m writing up the pattern (in 4 sizes) so it will be available soon.

I really love this sweater and plan to wear it over a sleeveless black dress, or black cami and pants. Crappy in-the-mirror shot:

TunicWorn071811 147x240 Mittens Accomplished

And if you’d like to see it in person, I will be wearing it on Saturday, August 27 at the book release party for Wendy Knits Lace at my LYS, fibre space so you can stop by and see it in person!

The party is from 1 – 3 p.m. and I’ll be signing books of course. I’ll have some very special friends with me, and a trunk show of all the designs from the book!

fibre space
102 N. Fayette Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 664-0344

You can reserve a copy of Wendy Knits Lace ahead of time, or if you are unable to attend the event, you can order a copy from fibre space that I will sign for you. Call the shop at 703-664-0344 to order a copy. And check out fibre space’s Events Page for more details.

All the info about the event is on my Travel and Teaching page as well. I hope to see you there!

I’ve started another project, of course.

WIP071911 240x144 Mittens Accomplished

Details on Thursday!

And Lucy is working on a cat-nap.

Lucy071911 240x160 Mittens Accomplished

Comments

1. I love the mittens!! Let me know if you publish the pattern!

2. Eileen Bunn says:

Will you be publishing the mitten pattern??? I love the tunic.

3. Elizabeth says:

I would wear the heck out of a tunic like that. Look forward to the pattern!

4. Your tunic is beautiful and I really like the color of your mittens!

5. Love the lace tunic! Publishing soon?

6. The mittens look way warm and tunic is lovely on you. I think it would have been great sleeveless as well! Good job!

7. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can find a really good excuse (as far as hubby is concerned) to be in DC that weekend? Daughter’s school will have already started, so not likely. Drat!

8. Ginger Klein says:

Wendy! I L.O.V.E. the lace tunic!! Is it in the new book? I have to have it!!

9. Hi! Hope you share the mitten pattern! It looks so nice in the midst of a 90-100 degree heat wave! thanks!

Sally

10. Is Lucy having to nap after a day of blocking? The tunic looks lovely as do the mittens!

11. GeniaKnitz says:

Oh my, I already have that Tosh colorway; all I need now is the mitten pattern. Hint, hint, hint. ;o)

12. Wow. That is super fast. I wonder if I can at least get through my first mitten this weekend. After all the sock knitting I’ve done, size 4 needles should feel pretty decadent!

13. The lace top is gorgeous, now seeing it in all it’s glory, am so looking forward to the pattern! Well done and good luck with the book signing event!

14. My, oh my, you are so fast! Love the mittens and the tunic. The Fibre Space party sounds sooo fun! Wish I could be there! I’m sure you’ll sell piles of books.

15. Loving that tunic! Can’t wait for the pattern…will knit immediately.

16. Sara in WI says:

Great projects! That tunic looks wonderful on you!

17. the lacey tunic is lovely!

18. I wish I could come to the party too! Sadly it’s much too far away for me to even consider. Hope you have a great time!

The tunic looks lovely!

19. Love the tunic! Any chance of a pattern for this one ;)

20. I have to admit, I wasn’t a fan of this tunic. I kept thinking, really? However, after seeing the pic of you modeling it… love it! Here’s to hoping you create a pattern for it. :)

21. The lace tunic is beautiful! Very nice work.

22. Ashley DeMazza says:

My name is Ashley DeMazza. I live with the rest of the DeMazza family here in rural Falls Village, CT. I have to say the mittens I am currently knitting the DeMazza children are no where near as pretty as yours! I love your work and am so glad I found your blog!