1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Knittens and More

The Knittens are done — see?

Knittens073111 203x240 Knittens and More

To recap, these were knit from Madelinetosh Tosh Sock, using the Celadon and Turquoise colorways. The pair took approximately 150 yards of each color, so one can easily get two pairs of mittens out of these two skeins. Note to myself: store all leftover MadTosh mitten yarn in a special place so I can mix and match colors for another pair.)

I used a U.S. size 2 (2.75mm needle) for a gauge of 9 sts/9 rows over one inch in the colorwork.

Pattern coming soon!

Slouchiness

There were a couple of questions about my Super Slouch and the volume of hair it would hold, so I present the following photos in response.

Hair073111 192x240 Knittens and More

Please to note that this hair photo is presented for scientific experimental purposes only. Yes, I know that I have age-inappropriate hair length. I like it this way and have no immediate plans to cut it. Yes I know that in this photo it looks like the ends are damaged, but they are not. My hair is wavy/curly and I air-dry it so it dries very wavy. Right before this photo was taken, I brushed it out so you would get some idea of the volume of hair I was shoving into the hat. Hence the appearance of the ends.

A close-up of the ends:

Ends073111 240x160 Knittens and More

Not a split end in sight.

Can you tell that I have received a lot of unsolicited, unwanted advice about my hair? icon wink Knittens and More

Anyway, here is the hair bundled up in the hat, from the back.

HatBack073111 240x182 Knittens and More

And from the side.

HatSide073111 240x186 Knittens and More

All photos taken against the white stucco wall of my villa in Italy. icon wink Knittens and More

I did not put the hair up with any pins or clips, just shoved it into the hat. I think when I actually wear the hat in the winter I’ll put it up with a hair fork or something. But as you can see, there is ample room in the hat for my metric ton of hair.

I am working on the second Super Slouch in the alternate lace pattern, but since it is commuter knitting only, there is not yet much progress to show you. I’ll report back on Tuesday with a photo of my progress.

But Wait, There’s More!

This lovely fishie is Goldfish Wanda:

Wanda073111 240x160 Knittens and More

And here is a mitten inspired by her.

FishMitt073111 135x240 Knittens and More

I am using The Loopy Ewe Solid Series fingering weight yarn, in the “Tangerine” and “Caribbean” colorways on my usual size 2 (2.75mm) needles.

MittPalm073111 125x240 Knittens and More

This mitten was so much fun to knit that I did knit it very quickly — I cast on late Friday night after I finished the second Knitten and finished it this morning. I’ll be casting on the second mitten shortly.

Lucy Sez

This is the best thing to do on a hot steamy weekend:

Lucy073111 240x160 Knittens and More

Nap in the a/c!

Comments

1. When/if I grow up, can I have pretty hair like yours?
    LOVE the wanda mittens, I think I know what my new winter obsession will be…

2. Who says it’s age-inappropriate? If my hair could look as lovely as yours when grown out, I’d keep it long too.

3. Your hair is beautiful and I imagine much of the unsolicited advice is based on jealousy. I admit my envy with my much shorter hair with worse looking ends!

4. Fabulous mittens.
    There’s “age appropriate” hair ? Blimey ! We can break loads of rules together. Because we can !

5. I love the fishy mittens! hi lucy! I get a bunch of advice on my curly hair too. poo on them.

6. Does Lucy think Wanda looks delicious?

7. I love the fish-mittens!

And age-appropriate length of hair is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard!

On a totally different note, I LOVE the colors of your shirt/blouse/top (whatever it’s called).

8. The mittens are adorable and your hair is in beautiful condition! It never ceases to amaze me that so many people feel entitled to provide unsolicited advice to others. I actually had a total stranger come up to me on on a ferry to tell me that knitting was for old ladies and that I’d never hook a man that way. My jaw still drops when I remember that one!

9. I love your hair!

10. Your hair is looking great. We with non-age-appropriate-length-hair must stick together. And I must make a slouch hat. By the way, try the “spinpins” that Goody (Ithink) makes. They work really, really well – even keep my extremely slippery hair in a comfortable bun.

11. Donna C. says:

Love both pair of mittens. Now if it would only cool off so you could wear them!!! Atone that wishing for winter

12. When I lived in Chicago from 25th to my 50th year I had similar long hair for a long while ~~ and I loved it. But I never understand why people think, that just because you share your knitting life, they have the right to even mention your personal life choices?? Good hair is a joy ~~ hope that you continue to enjoy until you change your own mind. Thanks for sharing even though I am not a fan of doing that kind of color work, I admire those who can do it well.

13. Mittens, hat, hair — EVERYTHING is beautiful.

14. Love the Knittens! Can’t wait for the pattern :)

15. Age appropriate hair is B.S. You wear what you like and what looks good. Your Wanda mitten is very nice. :)

16. When I was young short hair was for kids whose mothers did not want to be bothered or for women who thought they should be someone they weren’t! I always loved long hair and mine currently touches my posterior!
    Scritches to Lucy.

17. Marci H. says:

I think your hair is gorgeous, and I do not think people have the right to dictate to anyone what the length of their hair should be. I have very fine hair that doesn’t grow out well, and stops growing at the top of my bra-back. I love seeing (and slightly envying, i must admit) a gorgeous head of hair such as yours. Enjoy it for as long as you want! Now, on to the knitting: I absolutely love the “knittens” you have made! The knitting ones made me smile, and the fishy ones are beautiful! I love the color choices. Take care and have a great day!

18. Your hair is lovely. I live in an area with a lot of Native Americans. It’s not uncommon to see women much older that you with waist length hair. You would fit right in. I like your mittens.

19. I wear my “over 40″ (way over!!) naturally curly hair long for really selfish reasons. I’m lazy. I work in a marketing office, though and a shorter, cute “do” might be more business appropriate. I prefer not to spend a lot of time on my hair in the morning. Sometimes, it is even still damp underneath. I care not!

20. Love the mitt called Wanda!

21. Wendy, Your hair has really grown a lot longer since I saw you in MN. I love it. I just wish I could have long hair. Mine would be so flat and limp that it would look awful. Love both of the mittens and can’t wait for the patterns. keep growing that hair and creating beautiful patterns.

22. LOVE the Wanda mittens! I could even make those with that cute little gold fish.
    Is there a coordinating stash it hat to go with?

I had hair as long as yours until last December…I then decided it needed to go, as it was always in my way when I rolled over at night or slung my purse straps on my shoulder, or caught in the seatbelt, etc., and I wanted something different. Second time I’ve let it grow that long, each time I was ready for the change. It was cut to my shoulders first of December, and now it’s almost shoulder blade length, so it grows fast. The 12″ of cut hair went to the Locks of Love program.

23. Your hair is wonderful! It has grown so much since TLE Spring Fling last year. What is your secret? The idea of age appropriate hair is a silly concept.

24. Mary Lou in Central NY says:

My hair is just a long as yours, and I’m 44. I don’t give a s*&t what other people think is age-appropriate. WTF? I love it, my husband loves it. Who else matters? Sorry, the older I get, the more vocal I get.

25. what, age-inappropriate hair? we live in 2011, please keep them as long as you like:) lovely knits by the way, just reading some of your patterns for socks and really appreciate how easy to understand everything is.

26. Sigh. Your hair is just that – yours. It’s beautiful! I wish I could get my hair that long, but it’s baby fine, snaps if you look at it wrong, and Texas is just way too hot for decent length hair.
    I love all the new mittens, but have to say that my favorites are the ones you did several years back with flames. Those were just the best mittens ever :-)

27. ciuccmama says:

One of my professors in college had waist-length silver hair (she was in her 60s) that, for professional reasons, she kept in a bun most of the time – BUT I did manage to catch a glimpse of her once with her hair down and is was gorgeous!! The girl definitely makes the hair, not the other way around. Whatever length you keep your hair, flaunt it:)

Mittens are intriguing, I may have to try them and incorporate a personal quote….”miles to go before I sleep” comes to mind!

28. I’d like to second the “spin pins”. I have a couple pairs and they rock. Took me at least a day of my bun falling out every 30 minutes before I figured out how to get them to stay, but now it takes two seconds and it’s all up and out of my way. Then there were a couple days of everyone at work asking if I’d cut it! Had to let it down a number of times to prove that it was still there.

29. btownknitter says:

It’s your hair and you get to wear it however you please. Tell those with unsolicited advice about hair length to go step on a Lego. My husband loves long hair so I tell him to grow his out. I happen to like mine short. :P

30. Age appropriate- snort. I love your hair. I am 46 and my hair was past my butt until about 2 years ago. it’s now just past shoulder length with bangs, I still get the “age inappropriate” comments. The only reason I cut it off is that I have arthritis in my neck and I have the same metric ton of hair that you have. My neck finally declared in no uncertain terms that my hair exceeded the weight limit. It really helped to cut it but I miss it and if I ever find a good drug for my neck, the hair is coming RIGHT back. I don’t care if I’m 80.

31. Where do people get off telling others their hair is too long for their age, their gray should be covered, or any other advice?

Showing how your hair fits in that hat is a great visual aid. I can’t wait for the pattern to become available.

32. This is too funny! Loved seeing your ends close up. I think maybe the heat has gotten to you with this photo.
    Age appropriate ! ! ! ! hmmmm, I wear my hair short, very short. The top at most is one inch long. I get it cut every four weeks. I love it short. I’ve also worn my hair long, thought not anywhere as long as yours. Right now I love it short. I sure hope it’s age appropriate. I was born in 1939. I would tell you my age but some might think I’m old. WRONG ! ! !
    Love your blog
    Please give Lucy more time in front of the a/c.
    hugs
    Gerry

33. I agree with the commenter who stated that people who comment against it are jealous!

34. “Pffffft” on age-inappropriate, is all I have to say. You rock the long hair very well. The only reason I keep mine short is due to hot flashes. That and I’m lazy.
    Love the Knittens!

35. Joanne Brown says:

If my hair was thick like yours rather than fine and thin, I would be wearing it long :) I used to have hip length hair and have always regretted getting it cut :(
    I started bagpipe lessons at age 45 (6 years ago) and this is my fourth year playing in a band. and my second year competing solo — I’m overweight and have asthma. I got told by one of my fellow band members today that I was her inspiration — what an honor!

36. What is age appropriate? My grandmother had long hair, but wore it always in a bun. My kindergarten teacher had braids she wrapped around her head (Eastern European) so I have no idea how really long it was, but it must have been substantial.

I love the fishy mitt!

And why does Lucy like the AC but seem to be annoyed when you won’t turn the heat on in the winter? (lol)

37. I love the knittens! Whimsy of any kind tickles my giggle bones! Lovely work as always! I heart your hair – color, volume, length – the whole enchilada!.

38. carol brennan says:

Your hair is beautiful – both color and length. I’m a baby boomer and I wear my hair long and my boyfriend loves it.

39. Melanie says:

Wendy, your hair is beautiful and all the naysayers are just pea-green with envy! Ignore them!

And the knittens are just fab!

40. katharine says:

*gets on soapbox*

Girl, you keep your hair just the way you like it. If you like it long, let it grow! If you like it short, don’t let anyone keep you from cutting it!

*gets off soapbox*

If older women “have” to have shorter hair, then wouldn’t longer hair actually make a woman look younger?

41. I don’t know how old you are, but I’ll be 58 on the 15 of Aug. My hair is down below my butt and it too is thick and curly/wavy. I know what you mean about unsolicited advice! The best one yet was “why don’t you cut it off and give it to locks of love. They deserve it.” Uhmmm….which part of it’s MY hair and I want it don’t they get???

And people really freak out when they learn I don’t shampoo my hair, I use baking soda to wash it and ACV to rinse it. Nope, doesn’t smell like a salad when it’s dry (I air-dry mine too!) But it’s nice and soft and doesn’t frizz as much as it otherwise would in the Georgia humidity.

So rock on with the “age-inappropriate” hair, you have company!
    And thanks for sharing the pattern for the hat. I’m having to put my hair up to keep the braid from slapping my 3 month old grandson in the face when I bend over to pick him up. (I get to keep him every day. wooo-hooo!) I think the hat will be a nice addition for this winter. It may see use before then because the clip that I use to control the braid doesn’t always want to stay in my long hair.

42. Love your hair and the mitts. Goldfish Wanda is a cutie and I would just loveeee to give Lucy a big hug. :-)

43. ahhhhhhhh…….shades of Venus Rising from the Sea……..or Lady Godiva??……..tell ‘em to stuff a sock / mitten? in it!!!…………

44. Can’t wait to get the Knitten pattern – they look as if they’ll be fun to wear,,,,a good conversation starter.

And WOW – that is a lot of hair. You didn’t exaggerate much when you referred to it as a metric ton….LOL.

45. Oh, how I envy you and your red hair. I have the opposite problem, thin hair and a PEA size head. I have knitted dozens of different tam and other style hats to find one that suited– and promptly gave them away. I’d love to find a pattern for the tam that Diane Keaton wears in her famous pictures. Folks need to learn that if they cannot make a person feel wonderful about themselves by making appearance or hairstyle comments, they should keep the mouth shut.

46. Never cutting my hair short. Been there, done that, doesn’t work for my hair. (If it falls out, well, that’s another matter.) But I love my approaching-50-long-hair, and yours too! (I’ve cut it to donate to Locks of Love, but never SHORT, since college or so. It has to be at least shoulder length even when I cut it — so I can pull it back. But I don’t know if I want to cut ten inches off any more….)

Goldfish Wanda is awesome.

47. Billi Cummings says:

I love your mittens. Especially the goldfish mitts.

48. I like your hair and I like the hat!

Also, did you happen to post the pattern for the hat, or no?

I just finished my slouchy beret, but it wasn’t slouchy enough fo me, so I called it just a beret.

49. so when can we expect the mitten/glove book? i’m hoping for some cool fingerless gloves patterns….

50. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I’m in my late 60s and my hair is really long, too. I had it cut short right after high-school graduation and hated it so much that I practically didn’t leave the house until it started growing out. I’ve had long hair ever since. My hair grows really fast, so I have a few inches trimmed every four months. It’s poker straight, and I just wear it down. Currently it’s to the middle of my back.

Your hair is lovely. I wish mine was as thick!

I love slouchy hats and will definitely make this one!

51. My mother always cut my hair too short (remember pixie cuts in the 1950′s?) and I hated it, therefore mine has not been short since junior high school. If you do the math, I’m too old to have long hair by some people’s standards………but not mine. It’s not as long as yours but long enough for me. And I’m impressed by how all of yours fits into the hat. Great winter knitting you’ve done and even more impressive in the heat we’ve had this summer!

52. Love the knittens! They are just precious, and something I can see making for my knitbuds.

Excellent photos and info on the slouchy hat. I have both a big head and a lot of big hair, so this is very helpful.

The fishy mitten is darling!

53. CaroleP (ohio says:

Wow! you said you had a lot of hair, love the color, would really like the curl. Thanks for the pic. My gd’s isn’t that long but definitely that thick. I think the Super Slouchy will fit just fine ;-) Mine was thick about a hundred years ago, but it’s been thinner and very fine and white for 30yrs. I grew tired trying to keep it colored (white hair ran in the family). Anyway, it is short cause I’m too lazy to let it grow – I’ve tried – and easier to control – hair spray. Yours doesn’t look like you use anything un-natural on it. That’s great!

54. Wendy, I think your hair is just beautiful!!! Age-appropriate is definitely subjective!!! Keep it as long as you want for as long as you want!! I think the henna definitely does it good!! I just mixed up some more tonight!! I’ll be spending a hunk of my day tomorrow smelling that lovely henna smell up close and personal!! Thanks again for inspiring me to henna!!! Have a great day and week!!!!

55. I love your age-inappropriate hair. Especially combined with that blue top. Were you inspired by the goldfish mittens, or did they inspire the outfit? :-)

56. Lauren Kowalczewski says:

HI Wendy,
    All of the mittens are gorgeous! So is your beautiful hair.
    Cassie and Zoe want to know what Lucy thinks of Wanda!!
    They’re thinking….lunch!

57. Pam Beeching says:

Your mittens are fabulous and so is your hair. I can’t believe the rudeness of people at times! Speaking as someone with hair about 1/2″ long , I’m constantly receiving advice on how to grow it. Now it seems that as soon as you do grow it, the other side feel it incumbent upon themselves to voice their opions on how to shorten it as well! The only advice I’d offer you is as soon as you receive a negative, unasked for opinion, flounce the hair! Give it a flick, a pout and revel in it! ‘Age appropriate’, for goodness sake!!!! What tolly-fuddle some people do spout!

58. Ok lets get the hair out of the way. How rude of someone to comment on your hair. Nobody’s business but your own!
    Now your mittens are Fabulous! I always love your designs and am eager to see what Lucy is up to every newsletter. Keep up the fantastic work.

59. EllenEmOHPea says:

There is an age limit to have hair??? I thought it was an act of nature..

60. Hi Wendy,

My you do have a lot of hair, your slouchy hat is like the Tardis ! I say wear your hair however you like, looks lovely to me. I’m forward to seeing the lacey slouchy hat pattern.

I just adore the goldfish mittens, I hope you will be writting up that pattern to sell as well.

Not long now until I can get hold of your lovely lace knitting book !!!

Best wishes
    Lisa ;-)

61. Okay ladies – Hair Rules 101: It is never inappropriate for a lady to have long hair. It is expected that she will have long hair, the longer the better. Hair is a woman’s crowning glory, etc. What used to be considered inappropriate is for a lady, once she was old enough to not be considered a child, was to wear it unconfined, like a child. That was how you told the world you were an adult. Hair up, hems down.

And by the way, congratulations on keeping your ends trimmed. So many women just let their hair grow and you can actually see through the bottom 12″ layer. It’s not how long your hair is, it’s what it looks like.

And the Goldfish Wanda mittens got an Awwwwh (usually reserved for Lucy) and a big grin. Can’t wait for the Knittens pattern.

62. I love your hair, very pretty especially the color. Who sez hair is age-inappropriate, there are no guidlines on age vs. hair length, that is a myth. Love goldfish Wanda, perfect addition to Lucy.
    Sarah S.

63. You, with your age-inappropriate hair and damaged ends (ha), introduced me and my ever changing hair to henna. I love your hair. I love my hair. Hair is hair and will grow out, be cut off, change color, style, texture. It’s our own little renewable resource and phooey on unsolicited advice of any kind. So there.

Love the hat. Love the mittens. Don’t love the heat.

64. Speaking of age appropriateness, I mentioned to my husband the “rule” about a woman’s age determining the length of her (skirt/shorts)…and before I could finish my sentence he said, “Boobs?” So, worry about the length of your boobs, not the length of your hair. :)

65. It’s amazing how fast your hair grows. Do you find that it grows faster now that you’re eating clean than it did before?

66. I’m so jealous of your age-inappropriate hair. I’ve always wanted raven tresses, my hair just does not look good once it gets beyond shoulder length. So, flaunt it & enjoy it, sistah! I wish I could.

67. love the goldfish mittens…and LOVE the hair!! can’t wait for the hat patterns. i wear my hair very very very short and don’t color…i’m all white and black hair…i love it….and folks always have something to say about it! interesting…and i don’t mind.

68. Oh, the goldfish mittens are the cute-est! Oh my, I may have to acquire new knitting skills!! Wendy, you are always a knitting inspiration. Thanks.

69. I’m glad to see so many of your commentors agree with me that people should keep their unsoliticted “advice” to themselves. The length, cut, color and style of your hair is your own business; if it pleases you, that’s all that’s important. Your knitting is beautiful! I only wish I knit as quickly as you seem to be able to do.

70. Susie Tofilon says:

Wendy, your hair is beautiful! I would love to have such gorgeous hair.
    You are just amazing. You turn out one gorgeous peice after another. Each peice is more beautiful then the next.
    Hugs :)

71. I’m jealous of your speed. I still haven’t finished my first pair of mittens and you have 1.5 additional pairs already completed!

72. Hi Wendy! I haven’t commented in sooo long. I love the hat, and I reallyyyy love the goldfish mittens! OMG those are cute. And your hair is so much like mine – if I let it dry naturally and then brushed it, it would look exactly like yours. So I totally understand! As always, Lucy’s hair is perfect. How does she do it???

73. Heidi Ericson says:

I just love the hat and can’t wait for the pattern to come out.
    Signed another member of the Long Hair Club.

74. There is NO such thing as age inappropriate hair length!!!
    My hair act similarly as your, is longer, and won’t be cut because I consider it part of my personality / image / me / whatever.

75. Age-inappropriate hair is the way to go. Mine’s down to roughly mid-thigh level and I will not cut it. Berets are our friends. :-)

76. From one age-inappropriate-hair person to another, IT’S YOUR HAIR! YOU CAN WEAR IT HOWEVER YOU WANT! Currently mine is curled up into a bun because the humidity is as high as the temp; come winter it will be down to keep me warm ;-)

77. I, too, have age-inappropriate hair. So what? I like it & that’s all that matters! Your hair is lovely–so thick and abundant! Love it! Also love the fishy mittens…I’m not much for mittens, but I can see myself making those. Thanks for the great post!

78. If I had a nickle for every time my mother asked me if I didn’t think my hair was too long… LOL The insane thing is that she says that women over a certain age have *always* had short hair. Snort. Well, yes, they have… in *her* lifetime! We’ll ignore the centuries that came before that. LOL Keep those lovely tresses, Wendy. They’re beautiful, and the perfect thing at any age.

79. love your hair–the people who say our long hair is “age inappropriate” are just jealous. let us change the world! love to Lucy too… and looking forward to the goldfish mittens.

80. How funny that you thought you would be criticized for your hair being a bad thing. The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was “show off”. I have thin, fine hair. Mine would fit in one of those mittens.

81. Joining the chorus of those who say there is no such thing as age-inappropriate hair. You look fantastic!

Also, love the Wanda-inspired mittens! BTW, I named a rescue bird after Lucy last week and she’s already been adopted — must have been the name :)

82. madonnaearth says:

best hair-hiding job ever! Just looking at the picture, I would have no idea there was that much hair on your head; awesome! Love the yarn you used for the hat as well.

83. I looooove those fish mittens! Love the Knittens too, but those fishies rule.

And your hair is gorgeous.

84. Lynne S. says:

Holy Toledo Andy! You have gorgeous hair! Too bad about the unsolicited opinions; life’s like that, I guess. I do like the slouch hat, and I still love the Knittens.

85. Wendy, your hair is gorgeous and I love red hair. Years ago, we both decided to cut our hair short – I doubt you would remember – it is too many e-mails ago for both of us. It might have been around the time you went to Muskoka or Haliburton (I forget which it was now). My hair is baby-fine and floppy with a wave (naturally in the wrong places!). I had no choice but to go back to short and spike it when I can be bothered. It does not understand the concept of “body/volume”! I still miss my long hair. BTW, I love your Villa in Italy! LOL. Hope you are having a great week. Ear scratch to the Lovely Lucy!

86. Kristine M. says:

Your hair is beautiful! I agree that if I had hair like that I would wear it long & proud.

87. I don’t believe in that age appropriate length thing. I will have long hair til the day I day. I will not dye my hair. It will always be natural, and I think you’re hair is amazing. When I grow up I will be a greying, long-haired hippy looking lady, and not give a damn what people say!

88. Teddy and now, Wanda? You keep bringing me back!!

89. LOL! My entire life is “age inappropriate” and I am proud of it! I would have my hair as long as yours except that I am too lazy to want to wash it and let it dry. Come on out to the PNW – no one will say boo about it!

90. LOL! I too have had unsolicited opinions on my below shoulder length hair. My mother in law told me 25 years ago after the birth of my first child that ‘now that you are a mom you need to cut your hair” she’s still waiting! Our hair is part of our individuality, so cut it, grow it, dye it, curl it, straighten it but do it your way and enjoy it. If long hair is age-inappropriate then we’re in good company with Cher, Demi Moore, Goldie Hawn, Christy Brinkley, Marie Osmond, Valerie Bertinelli, Kirstie Alley, Jane Seymour and all the other over 45 long hair gals. Your hair is gorgeous, and it’s your hair to wear as you like. I’ll definitely knit the slouch hat to keep mine covered this winter.

91. i think women began cutting their hair short in the 20s, and then realized that it’s cooler for us over-40 crowd. personally, i think long hair makes a woman look younger. mine is shoulder-length, and i perm it every 6 mos because it’s stick-straight. in the summer i pin it up, and in the winter i leave it down. i do not care what anyone thinks about my personal style: im modest and i dont stink and that’s all that matters.

nice mittens, btw.