1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Crazy Weather

On Saturday the temperature got up to about 70 degrees. Yesterday it snowed.

Snow011012 240x160 Crazy Weather

Crazy weather.

Long-time blog readers may recall that I am loathe to turn on the heat in the winter. So far this (so-called) winter I have not turned on my heat. But I have closed the windows once or twice.

Knit Like the Wind!

I’ve had some comments recently remarking that I must knit very fast in order to complete projects so quickly. This always makes me smile because I don’t consider myself a fast knitter, just a persistent one.

I don’t have much knitting time during the week. On weekdays I get up at precisely 3:47 a.m. and arrive at work at precisely 5:45 a.m. I am almost always home well before 5:00 p.m. (except in unusual cases, like this week, when a training course necessitates my staying at work two hours later than usual). I try to do all my “chores” on weekday afternoons after work so I have weekends free. And on  weeknights I need to attempt sleep fairly early. All this adds up to very little knitting time on weeknights. I do knit for half an hour on the train in the mornings (in the afternoons coming home I read and check my work Blackberry) and sometimes a half an hour at lunch as well. And then an hour in the evening.

So most of my knitting is accomplished on weekends.

This past weekend I knit a mouse for a coworker who recently adopted two kittens.

Mouse011012 240x143 Crazy Weather

This was knit using leftover sportweight sock yarn and my “nose-up” mouse pattern from my Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn pattern.

I also worked on my cotton gansey:

Reader Charlotte commented:

I thought ganseys had flat stockinette “bottoms” with the initials worked in before the patterning started. I was told this was because the gansey was tucked into overalls or trousers and there was no reason to make that part of the garment pretty. In addition, the smooth stockinette would be easier to tuck in.

What I have read was that the plain bottoms (on body and sleeves) was to make it simpler to rip out and re-knit when the bottom edges got worn out from wear and tear.

But not all ganseys are knit that way. There are approximately one ga-jillion gansey patterns out there and there is no law that states that you have to adhere to an exact pattern when creating a gansey-type pattern.

Just for fun, I did a Google image search on the word “gansey.” Check out the results!

Here’s my “gansey-type” sweater as it looks today:

WIP011012 240x160 Crazy Weather

I don’t expect to get much knitting time this week so I’ll likely not post on Thursday, so I’ll talk to y’all on Sunday.

Lucy is miffed because I was late getting home today. I told her I would be when I left the house this morning but she wasn’t paying attention.

Lucy011012 240x162 Crazy Weather

Comments

1. 3:47 a.m.??? That’s about what time I’m going to bed. Even if I did fall asleep by 8 p.m., I’d still be incapacitated by a 3:47 a.m. alarm (I’m allergic to mornings!). I’m in awe of people who can function in the morning, especially when that morning begins in what I consider to be the middle of the night. So, I am now even more appreciative of your ability to whip your knitting projects out so quickly!!!

And speaking of knitting projects, the mouse is cute, but the gansey is fantastic. I love the texture and have an overwhelming desire to touch it (I’m having a very tactile response to your photo). How are you liking the Skinny Cotton? It looks gorgeous.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Thursday Thoughts – Knitting for the Home

2. You are up and at’em at 0347? Wendy darlin’, that’s insane! Does make your commute less hectic though, I bet!

3. I love the fact that you told Lucy you were going to get home late from work. I do the same thing to my 2 cats every morning, and I wonder if my downstairs neighbors wonder who I’m telling my schedule to each day… :)

4. Cats never do listen when you tell them you will be home late, and even if they did listen, they would still he miffed.

5. Hmmm, didn’t know the trains ran that early. I will admit to only having to get up that early when doing an internship 45 minutes away. I admire you to still be able to knit that early:)

6. you also don’t seem to have eighty-gazillion knitting projects going at once. I admire that, but don’t seem to be able to emulate it.

love your blog, your knitting, your kitty, your books. I usually only lurk around…

7. Susan Shelly says:

Your schedule sounds like a killer! Gotta admire someone who gets so much accomplished! Weather in TX has been up and down too, but no snow! Love the mouse and especially love Lucy – upside down;O))

8. Your crazy weather reminds me of my freshman year in college out here in Northern California (a bit south of San Francisco). It snowed in January (absolutely unheard of at sea level — last winter it got close (about 500 feet), but melted by 9 am) and we had snowmen and snow ball fights all day. A week later it was so hot (80′s or low 90′s) that we were all on the roof of the dorm in our bikinis to get a tan.

This 36 years ago (OMG — has it really been that long?!), well before anyone heard of global warming.

BTW, love the gansey! I also love ganseys and own the books you mentioned, but my personal favorite is Beth Brown-Reinsel’s (in part since she is such a lovely person and in part because I have learned so much from her over the years).
    Jamie´s last blog post ..Good Start to the New Year

9. CarmelaJones says:

It’s terrible, It’s never happened before. Sounds that these is the end of the world.:?
    CarmelaJones´s last blog post ..Buy 1300 numbers

10. Midnite Baker says:

Well, Wendy, as I am typing this, you are about ready to rise & shine. I’m about ready for bed.
    Love your gansey pattern. And I had fun looking thru the google “Search the results”. Found a couple blogs that were interesting., so I bookmarked them. Also, I remember reading some time ago, that gansey or aran patterns were family oriented, so if a person died at sea, they could be recognized by their sweater pattern. I thought that very interesting. Oh, and by the way; give Lucy a fresh catnip toy before going off to work. It should put her in lala land for the day & she won’t care when you get home. :) M

11. I get to work at 5 or 5:30 am every day… i know the feeling. Only I drive — not much public transportation in this part of Maryland! and i LOVED the link with the pictures. I have (somewhere put away) a picture of my great-great (dont know how many greats) grandfather in an Irish knit sweater from before he came to the states … You have inspired me to get that photo out and think about recreating that family sweater. Thank you! And my cat, Thor, always gets miffed if I am late getting home.

12. I would love to see a short video of you knitting, you know, the way you hold the needles, etc.

13. Do you normally leave work at 2:00? I’m not a morning person, so your schedule makes me a bit twitchy. I have toyed with the idea of taking public transportation to get some knitting or reading time into my day. But I’d have to drive half way to work anyway and sometimes I get stuck late, so it’s not overly convenient. I compromise by listening to audiobooks in the car.

I love that one of the search results was your gansey-in-progress. :)
    Connie B. in OH´s last blog post ..Miss me?

14. Sharen Warren says:

Your gansey Is lovely, and I’m not surprised that you had to go down a needle size—I’ve found that I prefer Blue Sky Alpacas Yarns knitted at the finer gauge suggested on the ball band.. I loved looking at the gansey pics and I saved some in my ideas file. I’m a not too many rules, “boss of my knitting” knitter too. ” Will I love knitting it and wearing or using it?”, is usually my first consideration. Even if the project is a gift I want to enjoy making it.
    And thanks for writting my favorite blog!

15. Great link on the Gansey! Thanks! I tell my husband when I am coming home late, but he’s just like your baby. Doesn’t listen or doesn’t remember.

16. Great link on the Gansey! Thanks! I tell my husband when I am coming home late, but he’s just like your Lucy. Doesn’t listen or doesn’t remember and is anxious for his dinner.

17. Hi,
    I’d like your opinion. In the winter, what commuter bag(s) do you recommend for carrying your lunch, shoes, purse, knit in process etc. I am looking for something that’s big enough ( but not ‘house size’ ) and importantly something with a big enough strap to fit over my winter coat. You’ve blogged about some bags in the past. Any new colours or favourites you’ve wanted to try or are trying?
    thanks,

Marilyn

18. How I wish I learn how to knit… I have always admired someone who knows how to knit. I have a friend the do it perfectly clean.
    Megan´s last blog post ..Pet Cremations-Edmonton and Greater Area

19. I’m a beginning knitter, though I’ve been knitting for years. Big projects (meaning sweaters) are too massive for me, so I’m utterly bowled over by your gansey sweater. I am unfamiliar with the term, but the pattern is gorgeous. Thanks for the inspiration!

20. Could you please tell me where I can find links for the patterns for the book Toe Up Socks for everybody? I purchased the ebook from Barnes and Noble and I am not able to get the rh
    links to work so I can download the charts for the socks. Are you able to help?

21. I’ve got to add this to my list of projects I want to complete this year.

Thank You!
    zee´s last blog post ..Help!!! So Simple Crochet by Melody Griffiths

22. Judy Bell says:

Would love to receive the childrens book for my grandaughter. Gave her knitting items for her Christmas present.
    thanks,

jb

23. marieljackson says:

I cant’ imagine if my place will experience these kind of weather.
    marieljackson´s last blog post ..Surgical Gloves