1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

First of all, the winner of a pristine ball of Zauberball Starke 6 in colorway #2081 (which is a very fun yarn) is Niki, who has been emailed. Thanks to everyone who left a comment!

Fun Knitting

My new work-in-progress is a very fun knit!

WIP022812 240x160 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

This is the Swiss Cheese Scarf by Winnie Shih and it is available as a free pattern on Ravelry.

This pattern blipped onto my radar a couple of weeks ago when Susan (one of the Rainey Sisters) posted about her version on her blog. Go look at it now!

The combination  of Susan’s impeccable knitting and great photos made this a must-knit for me.

The original pattern calls for laceweight yarn and a cast-on of 110 stitches. Susan posted mods for her version (made with Kauni which is fingering/sport weight). Not one to mess with success, I am following Susan’s mods, including those for a one-row buttonhole.

I am using Kauni 8/2 Effektgarn in the EQ (Rainbow) colorway. Because I tend to be a loose knitter, I am using a U.S. size 3 (3.25mm) needle for a reasonably firm fabric.

WIPCloseup022812 240x160 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

This is so entertaining to knit. I really love the Kauni Rainbow colorway — it keeps me knitting because I am always anxious to see the next color change. Never mind that I may never wear the resulting scarf. It’s just so danged fun to knit. Maybe I’ll hang it on the wall.

Lucy’s Idea of Fun

Lucy0228121 240x160 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

And Speaking of Fun

Check out my new toy:

Basil022612a 240x143 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

This is my new 2012 Mini Cooper, acquired on Sunday. His name is Basil. icon biggrin Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

My first “fun” car since I was in college. I think it’s about time, don’t you? I don’t think I’ll ever go back to sensible cars.

Basil022712 240x143 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

If you thought my odometer reading was low before, you should see it now!

Comments

1. He’s adorable! And you’re right … you’ve worked hard and deserve fun cars. After my first convertible, I said I would always have a fun car and I’m on my second now!
    KateJonze´s last blog post ..Fresno 28th "The Sounds of Mardi Gras"

2. Congrats on the car! I adore the Minis, but my lifestyle just doesn’t lend itself to having a two door car. Maybe someday, but until then, I’ll envy yours!

3. Shirley Gallagher says:

I love your new car. I would enjoy a Mini, but my current car has less then 18,000 miles on it and there is not way I could replace it at this time. But I can dream.

4. Love the new car, and of course it is Basil with that beautiful color! I’ve given up new projects for Lent (it’s a good way to keep me focused on the ufo stack and my faith) so I’ll put the Swiss cheese scarf in my queue for later. Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

5. You have Basil and Lucy? How lucky does one get in life? Enjoy.

6. anne marie in philly says:

OMG, what a cute car! just big enough for you and L-B to go a-crusin’! :-)

7. Beautiful scarf! And… omg, love the mini cooper! Bonus on the awesome green color… I want one too! ;-)

8. Congratulations on the Mini Cooper. You are now officially motoring, not driving.

9. ChiLibrarian says:

I’m so jealous of your Basil. Enjoy! I keep trying to eke one more year out of my car. Just about to turn over 140K on my odometer.

10. Cute car! I’ve seen a couple of those around here. I have 75000 on my PT Cruiser and am waiting for a Prius V to come in that is to be my new car, so anxious! Enjoy your new ride! And knitting your new scarf!

11. Somehow the Swiss Cheese doesn’t look easy to me…what level would you say? Cute mini cooper, but is it a convertible?

12. Love that stitch pattern, and the yarn really sets it off. I can see why you are enjoying knitting it.
    f1bercat´s last blog post ..Eastside Knitters Guild Meets Feb 27th, 2012

13. What a cute car! I assume if you love Mini Coopers, you’ve already seen the movie “The Italian Job”? If not, you definitely should! :)

14. P.S. I forgot ‘The Italian Job” was a remake – I’m referring to the 2003 version of the movie. I haven’t seen the 1969 version, and it wouldn’t have had Mini Coopers back then anyway.

15. cecilia david says:

I am jealous of your new ride. I think that only thing better is a Fiat 500. Have fun and enjoy the wind in your face. cd

16. Great new car. Congrats!

17. Teddy needs to go for a ride Mr.Bean style!

18. Wendy, life is too short for sensible knitting, sensible shoes and sensible cars. Carpe diem, sister!
    PearlsToronto´s last blog post ..Toastie Tootsies

19. How COOL… New car, Basil.. Very stylish! And Lucy looking so relaxed. Good for you!

20. Congrats on the new car! I love the color!! What a fun scarf…I think I am going to have to try that one as well!

21. Love the new scarf! I will have to check that pattern out.

And Basil is so cute! Is he/it named after Basil Fawlty?

22. Hi, Basil! I’ve got a 2005 MINI S CV named Jack. He’s hyper blue and black, with black bonnet stripes and Union Jack mirrors. SUCH a fun car, and perfect for street parking in DC.
    Sherry´s last blog post ..Longjohn Socks Go To A Feast

23. Elaine in NYC says:

I finished my scarf about 10 days ago—so much fun! Engaging is really the right word for this project. The yarn is much less scratchy than when it first appeared. I liked it so much that I snagged another three balls to make that faux fair isle cardigan which was around five or six years ago.

24. LOVE your new car! I’ve always admired the mini’s around town here…so glad you got one. We have a new (okay…used, but new to us) car: a 2008 GMC Envoy 4X4 name Gwenavere. (I know. The spelling’s weird, but so are we! LOL) We have used a half a tank of gas in the 3 weeks we have had her. Of course, we live only 2 blocks from where DH works, but still…………….

Have fun in your new wheels!!!

25. Oooo, I LOVE that scarf! And nice car! I’ve been wanting a Mini. Will a 6′ 5″ hubby fit in it?

26. You are going to love the car. I had to sadly give up my cooper due to car seat issues (slinging one into the back is NOT fun) but I got the countryman about 5 weeks ago. Still fun, but no gocart!

27. What a car of awesomeness! Please try to stay on the right side of the road.

28. Midnite Baker says:

Ah, what fun! A mini! Zumm..Zumm…Zumm.. Now, is Lucy gonna enjoy the ride too?? Ha, Ha, Ha.. If she is anything like Sparky, it howling all the way to where ever. Found me a low mileage (88,000) 1999 White Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. I’d love to take it to a racetrack & find out what it will do. Oh, Yea, I’m the Little Old Lady from Pasadena!! I’ll race ya. :-)
    P.S. I like the scarf too.

29. Great find on this pattern and I’ve already followed the link you provided to the Rainey sisters website, thank you very much!

Love the new wheels!

30. Samina – there is a 4 door mini, the Clubman. Maybe not as cute as Basil, but a sibling.

31. Whoops – make that the Countryman.

32. Love your new Mini. It’s so much fun to drive! I bet you’ll find yourself going “weeeeee!” every time you drive. Enjoy!

33. I would think a Mini is both sensible and fun and I love that you’ve called it Basil. Watching too much Fawlty Towers? or is that possible ;)

34. Sweet car, sweet scarf! Fun times. Enjoy! (and no, ellen, I don’t think it’s possible to watch too much Fawlty Towers!)

35. Gale Longley says:

Love the new car, is your kitty a Ragdall ? I just lost my sweet Sally and have been looking at Ragdall ktty. Miss her so much need some love from a kitty and have alot to give. Thank you for all your great knitting patterns, love your new car. Your knitting friend Gale

36. Gorgeous! The Rainey Sister’s version (and yours) is a huge improvement over the original. I looked at the Rav page for the pattern and said “meh” but yours makes me want to go stash diving for Kauni! I know there’s some in there.

37. A mini is on my wish list. My husband even said he would buy me one if I lost 50 pounds. Wish me luck! Really Love the scarf. I may need to knit one.

38. Basil is so handsome. Drive him in good health. I’ve had that scarf on my to-do list since last spring Fling when someone was knitting on hers and I oohed and ahhhed over it. She made hers with a Zauberball Rainbow. I may have to get busy on it between cowl projects. I need a carryalong project.

39. Love the car! I bought a Honda Fit a couple of years ago and love it. Fun cars are awesome :)
    Julie´s last blog post ..Framing Needlework

40. The scarf is lovely! I will enjoy YOU knitting this scarf!!

And congrats on Basil! Guess he is cousin to Margaret – my replacement Mini Clubman-S! She is British Racing Green with black stripes and checkered roof and mirrors! I am sure you will enjoy driving him around – Margaret is our 5th mini!

41. Love, love, love that scarf, you will see me making it before long. The Coop is adoreable!!!! I wanna go for a ride!

42. Very cool car. My sister had an orange one (convertible) and she loved it. You will defiintely want to drive this one more!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Peach Graphic Sweater Bag

43. Congrats on the new Mini! I’ve had one since 2004 and it has less than 28k miles on it, i drive only slightly more than you do :) I love my Mini and wouldn’t give it up for anything. Enjoy!

44. Absolutely love your new addition, especially the color!

45. Baaaaasil is the perfect name for a knitter :-) I love that scarf – very inspiring.
    Julia´s last blog post ..Comment on In Which I Ask for Help and Get It by Ginny Burton

46. Preciouss says:

Knitting is definitely fun..And it seems it is your passion too…
    Preciouss´s last blog post ..Waterfront Key Singapore

47. Love the new car! Happy motoring!

48. Is your Basil…. Basil Exposition from Austin Powers or Basil Exposition as my son called my GPS?

49. Love Basil’s name, love the car, and love the scarf!

50. Kathryn says:

Yay for you! You go girl!

A few years after my divorce I bought myself a Volvo with sun roof. I had ALWAYS wanted a Volvo; but previously someone else was involved in the purchase, either father or husband. I luuuuuuv my car; 10 years old this year with only 50,000 miles on it.

Take that kitty for a ride. LOL.

51. Oh, no! I wanted to name my cat Basil because his tabby coat looked like a dramatic Russian prince’s cape. Couldn’t do it as my father’s name was Basil. And now a wee car! Our cars were usually named Otis, but I think he would have been tickled with your choice.

52. DH bought me a Mini two years ago to match a pair of Dr Marten boots I had. Sooooo much fun to drive. My car before that was a new Beetle….

53. I miss reading for two days and you slip in a cool cheesy scarf and a 2012 Mini Cooper? Unbelievable.

54. Vanessa says:

That is a great knitting and a that is a better car! :) I think you should stick with that car.. I love it!
    Vanessa´s last blog post ..Trying To Get Pregnant Tips

55. isabella057 says:

Hello Wendy! Another beautiful design from you. This is really fun! Especially when you enjoy while doing this. I like the monochromatic color of this design. This can be used as television cover too!
    isabella057´s last blog post ..Starbucks Coupons 2012

56. OMG Love your car!!! It looks so much like the one I bought this summer! http://www.jen-knits.blogspot.com/2011/08/another-picture-of-my-mini.html

57. Lynne S. says:

Congratulations on your new fun car! Hope you and Basil enjoy many happy trips together!

58. Theriz26 says:

Hi Wendy! I really love the design and i also like the color. And i can see why you are enjoying knitting it. Thanks for the post and enjoy your new ride. Love it!
    Theriz26´s last blog post ..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …