1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Fun Fun Fun

The Swiss Cheese scarf continues to be great fun to knit! I have taken to laying it out on the wee table in my office so I can see it all day long. It’s also a great conversation piece — a number of my co-workers stop by every morning to check on my progress and see what color I am currently knitting.

At this point in the knitting I have made it almost all the way through the color spectrum. I started with orange and am currently knitting red.

SwissCheese0301121 240x103 Fun Fun Fun

I’m starting to think about what to knit next. Right now I am all about the fun. And I want to use some more of the Kauni yarn I have in my stash. Different colorway, though.

Okay, you’ve seen what my last two projects were — Wingspan and Swiss Cheese. Based on that information, what pattern would you recommend I knit next? I want something that’ll look good in this type of yarn and that has a clever construction.

I’ve got a couple of patterns in mind, and a friend suggested a few more (thanks, Sharon!) but I’d love to hear your suggestions as well.

Basil!

A few of you asked who/what Basil was named for. As several of you correctly surmised, I named him after Basil Fawlty, from Fawlty Towers. I love Fawlty Towers and only wish that John Cleese had made more episodes.

Today I worked only a half day, so my Basil and I went out in the afternoon for some errands and then some fun. Here he is, parked, pretending he is just like the big cars.

Basil0301121 240x162 Fun Fun Fun

Lucy stayed home and had some of her own type of fun.

Lucy030112 240x160 Fun Fun Fun

Comments

1. Adrienne says:

That’s a perfect name. =) There’s a Mini that often parks by me at work and I’ve come to really like those adorable little cars!

2. My first thought when I saw those color changes: Spectra (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spectra)!

And I thought you named him Basin because he’s green and smells good! LOL
    KateJonze´s last blog post ..Fresno 28th "The Sounds of Mardi Gras"

3. …. and, of course, I meant “Basil,” not “Basin.” sheeesh
    KateJonze´s last blog post ..Fresno 28th "The Sounds of Mardi Gras"

4. Rebekah says:

That’s who my parrot is named for. Basil. But he can’t make a long a sound, so when he says it, it sounds more like the herb, not the Cleese.

5. Joan Grahlfs says:

May I suggest a Robin Hunter Design called The Prudence Crowley Vest. I got the pattern on Patternfish. The back of the vest is knit in the traditional manner — so the stripes are horizontal. The front of the vest is a long pointed “scarf” that is knit so that the stripes will be vertical. When attached at the back and sides, the shawl collar is warm, has good strong vertical stripes, and the easy stitch pattern has a nice nubby look. I am enjoying mine. You might like it too.

6. Jennifer says:

can anyone tell me how to get some of that beautiful yarn? I went on the website but it did not apear as though you could order from there. Is this something sold at your local yarn store?

7. Oooooh, love! What about a Nessie? A shawlette and open to a myriad of interpretations. Such a fun knit. I did one in Kauni and I absolutely love it.
    Angeluna´s last blog post ..9/11 Remembrance and an Odd Momento

8. What about The Wiggle Wrap or Revontuli? Those would be lovely with the long color changes.
    Renee Anne´s last blog post ..Self-Imposed Year of Projects: Update #8

9. Ruth Hibberson says:

I loved making Clockwork http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/clockwork by Stephen West. I think that Swiss Cheese looks great and can’t wait to start it.

10. Kristin (HLMauera) says:

I think Volna is designed for these kinds of yarns. Citron, Dianna, and Revontuli all look really nice in long color repeats but only Dianna and Volna have clever construction.

11. Does Basil have a Manuel shift? (“He’s from Barcelona . . .”)

12. Shirlucky says:
  13. Robin F. says:

Cascade Vest or A multidirectional scarf (my first Kauni project) or there is a pattern that is basically 8 ft. lengths of i’cord made with a ball of Kauni and then the lengths are stitched together at the center and buttons are hung at the ends for decoration.

14. Peggy aka PickleSoup on Rav says:

OOoh. I have ‘Noro’ and ‘Kureyonsock’ tags in my faves! Lol. Check these out:

I love all of those!!

15. Catkin shawl?

16. Madeline says:

Fun, fun, fun, indeed! Enjoy your new car. I’m coveting the Fiat 500 in a rusty-orange color, but haven’t done anything about it . . . yet.

17. Robin F. says:

I saw the tangent vest today and it is gorgeous in kauni

18. We called our first GPS Sybil, after Basil”s wife . My hubby would comment I am doing it Sybil when the voice spoke up, we used a woman”s voice.

19. Great progress on the scarf, the colours on the yarn look fantastic, can’t wait to have a go! I have got to get some the yarn you are using, I love it !

Now its off to bed for me as its very early doors in the uk.

;-)

20. I’m currently knitting a Lanesplitter Skirt and have a similar stripe addiction going with Noro Silk Garden.

If you don’t want a skirt, why not a Stripe Study Shawl? There are some gorgeous ones using Kauni and other long color-change yarns.

I love the look of your scarf, but I’m not sure how to wear it, so I’m interested to see what you decide!
    Laura´s last blog post ..Keeping Count

21. How about “fishtail” or “emperor’s new scarf” by lucy neatby. I made the fishtail in kauni before and it came out very pretty, the yarn makes it interesting to keep working to see what colors come up next. :). For the Emperor”s scarf I used another yarn, but would look beautiful in kauni’s colorways.
    To the girl looking for kauni-i bought mine from webs (yarn.com) I hope that’s alright to post.

22. Karen Shannon says:
  23. I recently took a seminar from Lucy Neatby and was intrigued with her Venus Rising Cardigan. It looked like a regular cardigan with vertical striping, but all the shaping is done with short rows. It also has an interesting inset in the back. You must be an expert with short rows after all the socks you knit, so I think this could be an interesting project. It uses between 600 and 700 gm of Kauni.

24. Deborah says:

First I must say I am insanely jealous of your Mini Cooper. Putting that aside, some patterns with different construction and would look great in Kauni….what about In the Pink by IzzyKnits, Lightening Shawl by Frankie’s Knitted Stuff, Summit by Mandie Harrington, or Dianna by Mawelucky? Can’t wait to see what you end up making.

25. You want fun? You want unique construction? I just bought Anna Dalvi’s book, “Shaping Shawls”. There are several in there you might go for with the lovely variegated yarn.

26. Would you consider knitting a throw blanket? I think that this yarn would work well in Frankie Brown’s Ten Stitch Blanket (Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-blanket) or it’s cousin, the Ten Stitch Twist (Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-twist). Both feature a cool construction and are available as free downloads, although the designer encourages donations to the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation if you like the pattern.

You have lots of good suggestions here. Have fun looking at them and reaching your decision. Whatever you choose, I’m certain it will be wonderful.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Thursday Thoughts – Pill Purse Sample is Finished

27. I need to take a page from your book and knit something fun next! Should really be thinking about knitting for spring…
    PearlsToronto´s last blog post ..Fancy Feet

28. I can’t recall what you’ve knit before, but Steven West’s patterns come to mind? Clockwork? Birdwing? Creekbed might be the best for this type of yarn.

29. I am really liking that scarf!!! I’m going to have to make it. I love your car and now I want one!

30. I think I would like this yarn in a Spectra. You should knit it so I can see it.

31. Elizabeth H. says:

How about a swiss cheese vest? There’s one in Ravelry.

32. Try Murano http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/murano-scarf it’s lots of fun with long color repeats. I did one with two balls of chroma pulled from opposite directions. Fun to see the colors change against each other.

33. Mimi Ophir says:

For the Kauni yarn, definitely Zuzu’s Petals (http://carinaspencer.com/shop/zuzus-petals/).

34. Ilga Leja has done several wonderful patterns using Kauni. Take a look here: http://www.ilgaleja.com/collection_kauni.php

35. I just saw it! Your next project. How about the Chaya shawl knit in different directions! It’s by Chiagu. Love the Swiss Cheese. I’m from WI. It’s so easy to be “cheesy”!

36. Rae Gommel says:

Oh!!!!! You got a Mini !!!!! Aren’t they great fun? I test drove one a few weeks ago and I neeeed one. But I have to keep my Jeep. Sigh…. Once I Win the lottery…

37. Lynne S. says:

Your recent theme of ‘fun’ is beginning to inspire me – you are absolutely on to something here! Think I’m going to relax and focus on fun for a while. No pattern suggestions – sorry! – but I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose.

38. It’s so beautiful! I absolutely love your rainbow swiss. However, you may need a leaf-y basil-esk scarf to go with your new Basil. ;) Good luck!
    Kathryn´s last blog post ..Battling

39. Leftyknitter says:

I got my Mini about 18 months ago and don’t think I’ll ever drive anything but my Mini. I named mine: Matilda and she is the best. Love the scarf and am waiting for my yarn to come in tomorrow. For anyone looking for it online, you can find it on Webs as my lys doesn’t have the rainbow color. Love it!

40. Joanne Brown says:

Pioneer Braid scarf – I made one using crazy zauberball, size 3 needles, and 48 stitches; it was a very fun, easy knit and I get lots of compliments on it

41. I came across a pattern once that looked similar to that. It’s called Summit and it’s on knitty.com… Sounds like you and lucy both had fun
    Cleo´s last blog post ..Aesop I am not

42. I am new to this site and it is awesome! i to, thought Basil was for an herb. Sorry! My mind always goes to food! Really love this scarf. I am not sure I am brve enough to try it though!

43. Your scarf is lovely. I love the name Swiss Cheese.