1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Testing My Love

Kauni Effektgarn 8/2 is really testing my love.

This week I have been in the process of knitting a wrap with a ruffled bottom edge, my own design, that I winkled together last weekend after much trial and error.

WIP022112 240x160 Testing My Love

In the middle of the medium rust portion of the colorway, I encountered a knot. No biggie — I untied it and reattached the yarn, then wove the ends in. After doing this, it did not show at all.

But I was knitting along yesterday and encountered another knot. This knot tied the deep rust color to a brown color and the difference in the colors was noticeable. I repeated the same procedure and knit on a bit in hopes that all would be okay.

It was not.

Edge032212 240x160 Testing My Love

There is a very obvious line of demarcation where the manufacturer knotted the two colors together. And I can’t live with it.

And the new color is much thinner than the previous color.

So rather than continue with this skein, I restarted my project in another colorway.

Ruffles032212 240x144 Testing My Love

I will admit that I had decided that I wanted to make some adjustments to this piece, so this is an opportunity to rework a bit of the pattern. That’s the silver lining.

But Kauni? I have used and loved your yarn many times in the past. But with that last skein you have sorely tried my patience.

This new skein had better be considerably more well-behaved. So far, it is the Kauni I know and love.

Now I have to break it to Lucy that she does not get to keep her new favorite perch.

Lucy032212 240x160 Testing My Love

It is all drama here Chez WendyKnits.

Comments

1. Sorry that the yarn is not playing nice. I will keep my fingers crossed for no knots with obvious color changes in the new skein that you are using.
    NerdGirl´s last blog post ..Frolicking with Friends

2. Maybe you could make it up to Lucy by giving her the discarded shawl piece!

3. Some yarns just beg to be re-wound before using, just so we can find the unpleasant surprises before we start working. I don’t usually do this, but your experience with Kauni thinks I should, any time I’m using one of those dreamy slow color change yarns!
    pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog post ..Playing “Beat The Clock?”

4. Good to know it’s your own design. We were discussing at knit night last night that it looked an awful lot like a design from one of our group members (Gaskell Shawl by SJ), although the yarn weight is drastically different. Good luck with the new skein. I hope it behaves properly!
    DPUTiger´s last blog post ..WiP Wednesday

5. Well, the skein of yarn I am using now has had six knots in the first 200 yards…not as drastic a color change as yours, but I am getting really annoyed at the manufacturer.

6. Oh my! I guess all yarn companies throw a nasty one out once in awhile! I remember knitting socks for my mom with Cascade Fixation. The 2 balls I had was so full of knots that I knit the socks and took pictures of all my.. need to tucks and sent them to Cascade. I do believe they were as upset as I because they replaced those 2 balls and the 2 balls I had not used yet as well as a bonus. And the new balls.. much nicer, restored my faith! LOL and I think I spent more time tucking ends than knitting the socks! LOL
    Yarn.devil´s last blog post ..Always playing catch up…

7. Virginia says:

Knots are bad enough but the difference in thickness is really obvious – and distubring

8. Question? Is it better to wind the yarn before you use it just in case of something like this or is winding it harder on the yarn?

9. Sandra Keith says:

Just this past week I was reading on Ravelry the same complaint about the same yarn. Plus, the yardage was shorted. I’ve never used that yarn and now I never will. Thanks for your honest post.

10. Hmm, seems to be a common problem. I weighed the Lang Jawoll yarn I got to knit a pair of socks, and to my surprise, it weighed 89 g, not 100 g as listed on the ball band. Since I had a few balls, they all got weighed. Sure enough, 89 to 90 g each. Good to know, so you know how much yarn to use for each sock. I now weigh all my yarns before I start any project. Some have more yardage than listed, others have less. I keep a tab of those that have less yardage, and you know what, I’m not getting those yarn again.

Love Lucy. She is beautiful!

11. Charlotte says:

Have you contacted the store/site where you bought your yarn and/or contacted the company directly at http://www.scandinavianknittingdesign.eu/
    I believe they would want to know the yarn problems you’re experiencing.

12. Charlotte says:

Whoops, I believe the official Kauni yarns site is: http://www.kauni.com/
    e-mail on their home page is: kauni@kauni.com
    The other site is a UK store that stocks a lot of kauni.

13. Susan Shelly says:

I love the second Kauni colorway. Hope it is a better skein! And poor Lucy – you must let her hang on the that fabulous box a while – LOL!

14. I agree with Virginia’s comment about the yarn thickness. I think I could cope with the other issues, but this change in yarn weight is significant – and problematic.

Yet, as you note, there is a silver lining to every cloud. Now you get to tweak the pattern and knit the sample in a colorway that I like even better than the original. What’s that? You don’t care what colorway I like? Aw, shucks. And here I thought you were knitting this for me! :)
    Linda´s last blog post ..Thursday Thoughts – An Easy Flat Knit

15. GeniaKnitz says:

I’m sorry your Kauni is giving you a hard time, but I must confess that I do love the new color!

And, of course, your beautiful Lucy. [Don't tell my cats I said that.]

16. I know you can do it! Thanks for sharing what you really love.. And knitting is a very interesting hobby.. :)
    Luna´s last blog post ..Chamonix Accommodation

17. wow the yarn can be amazingly inconsistant I’m glad you like the second skein. I usually have to break such news to Fluffy too interesting how they seem to think every new box is theirs.
    Brandi´s last blog post ..Oh The Fiber – Old Norwegian wool

18. …..unless Lucy learns to print….very, VERY quickly.
    PearlsToronto´s last blog post ..Techno-Knits (There’s an app for that!)

19. You are showing a whole lot more patience with that yarn than I would…

20. Wow – that one almost looks like another yarn entirely. I’m thinking that if I ever encounter that kind of wad-in-the-middle thing you had with the first colorway, I might be inclined to re-wind the skein to check for other issues.

But I really like the blue.

And of course we’ll all be waiting for you to release the pattern.

21. I have never used Kauni, mainly because until recently my LYS never carried it. But after reading about your experience I’m not sure I will ever purchase it. I have a hard enough time when it comes to making sure I have enough yarn for a pattern and then have them come up that short in each skein. Thanks for sharing the info!

22. I have a serious problem when yarn skeins have a knot. (And I’ve never had one come out as nice as your first one – mine always look like snot).

My cats did the same thing with my new coffeemaker – brought it in and had two cats vying for space on top.
    MelissaW´s last blog post ..Gratuitous Cat Picture Friday (7): Ai! It’s a alien!

23. Does your electric ball winder still work? It sounds like you would save yourself a lot of trouble to prewind the Kauni.
    Molly by Golly´s last blog post ..Like an Adult

24. Just wondered if you weighted the new colorway?? The obvious difference in weight of yarn is somewhat disturbing. Should definitely be mentioned to yarn company.

25. I admire your tenacity. I would have given up, love the colour

26. tracy van wormer says:

I just found out who the patron saint of knitting is…..(drum roll, please) ST LUCY!!! So, I immediately thought of you, and wondered if that is how Lucy got her name! Love your blog.