1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Two Shawlettes, Yo

Here is the view from my hotel balcony in Chincoteague this past weekend.

Chincoteague041512 240x143 Two Shawlettes, Yo

Lovely, no?

SoXperience 2012 was great fun and a great success (well, as far as I am concerned — you’d have to ask the students as well). But I was very happy to get home Sunday, and Miss Lucy was very happy to have her momma back where she belongs.

I finished my green shawlette on Saturday. Here it is, laid out flat on the floor:

JadeFlat041612 240x131 Two Shawlettes, Yo

This was knit from one skein of Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in the “Jade” colorway using a U.S. size 3 (3.25mm) needle. It was knit sideways, starting with very few stitches and increasing until the depth was what I wanted. Then for the center section I worked short rows to give the piece a nice curve in the middle. It features a simple lace edging that is knit as you work the body, so there is no picking up of stitches later.

JadeBack041612 240x148 Two Shawlettes, Yo

Because of this shaping, it sits nicely on the shoulders and does not slip off. The shawlette measures 50″ unstretched across the top and stretches well beyond 60 inches. I did not block the body of the piece because I wanted to keep the garter stitch as-is. It drapes so nicely and molds itself to the wearer. I just steamed out the edging a bit with a steam iron.

The pattern will be available soon.

Jade041612 240x209 Two Shawlettes, Yo

But not immediately.

I had started another sideways shawlette to take with me to Cincoteague because I knew I’d be finishing the green one while I was away. But after finishing, I decided I wanted to knit the same pattern again with a different weight yarn, so I ripped out the new shawl, and started the same pattern over again:

Bark041612 240x111 Two Shawlettes, Yo

For this one I’m using Madelinetosh Pashmina, in the “Bark” colorway, and a U.S. size 5 needle. Pashmina is sportweight (and a heavy sportweight, I think). A skein of Tosh Sock is about 400 yards and a skein of Pashmina is 360 yards. I think the Pashmina shawlette will end up to be about the same size as the Tosh Sock version (lower yardage but heavier yarn). I’ll find out soon.

Both of these versions will be on the pattern once I write it up. I am knitting these wraps by weight of the yarn and will describe how to do that in the pattern so the knitter can use up every bit of the skein, but there will also be instructions to knit by number of rows and repeats.

Now I need to come up with a name for the design. Lucy is giving this problem some serious thought.

Lucy041712 240x160 Two Shawlettes, Yo

Comments

1. Whatever name this new shawlette becomes, it will be truly beautiful (both versions!). The view from your hotel balcony was indeed lovely.

2. Oh I love this! Just recently completed my first shawl/shawlette and looking forward to knitting more! Including this one!
    Kim´s last blog post ..Early Saturday

3. Suzanne Coviello says:

How about Gossamer, because it reminds me of wings? Gorgeous, Wendy, as usual!

4. Sit and Stay? Sally Shawl? They aren’t taken yet.

Sally sounds a little sassy right?

Or, ‘a little sassy shawl’
    Molly By Golly´s last blog post ..Back to Earth

5. Both versions are so pretty! I am interested in seeing the pattern, I have yet to knit a shawl and this one looks like something I’d love to try.

6. Elizabeth says:

Absolutely beautiful. Can hardly wait until you publish this Shawlette pattern. Would love to make up a few for Christmas gifts. Hope you let us m ow as soon as the pattern is available. It would make a great project to travel with.

7. Beautiful shawl! Might I suggest it be named after Lucy? :-)

8. It’s really stunning! But that is to be expected. :)

;

9. Love the new sideways shawl. Looking forward to the pattern. I really enjoy knitting shawlettes that are designed in this manner. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

10. Lestersmama says:

The shawl looks wonderfuly cozy. How about naming the fingering weight version, Soft Kitty and the heavier weight, Bazinga.

11. Oh I like this idea! Knit the shawl sideways… going up to its widest and then getting less and less stitches coming round the bend! Also, I will have more control over the width in the center and a bit of lace with this pattern! Gotta luv the lace! :)

12. I think you should name it Distraction, because it served as a distraction while you were away. Also I think “Distraction” sounds sexy. :) I love the sideways shawls
    Suzann Welker´s last blog post ..Like a Hobbit

13. That beautiful shawlette is one of the reasons why I like to learn how to knit. It looks lovely. I imagine if I’d be able to make one for myself, I’ll make a violet one. Good luck on the names! :)
    Dayna´s last blog post ..top photography schools

14. Love the shawlette and the way it hangs…i am in love with the green…

15. Dawn in NL says:

Nice shawlettes, lI ove the lacy edge.

How about Chincoteague for the name?

16. I think it’s gorgeous and the name will come. It will tell you what it wants to be named,
    Brandi´s last blog post ..Oh The Fiber – Cormo Sheep

17. Gosh, I love that green one! Particularly the shaping at the neck…very ’20′s.
    PearlsToronto´s last blog post ..I Think I Can, I Think I Can…

18. I like the simplicity of the body with the decoration at the edge. Nice!

19. We all enjoyed your workshops at Soxperience. I think you should name it the Island Shawlette.

20. What a perfect “basic” piece! Once you’ve made one and understand the construction, you could add different edgings to personalize each one. Also, because it’s done sideways, it would be great in variegated yarns. I’ve never found a triangle shawl that lays nicely across MY shoulders, and the faroese styles are a bit much, but this could do it. Looking forward to it’s name and sale.

21. Sally Miller says:

If worked on at Chincoteague, the shawl should have a Chincoteague-ish name, like Misty (the pony) or Sea-wanderer or Island something-or-other. I admire designers SO much! I truly appreciate your art.

22. BridgetG says:

LOVE the green shawlette. My name is suggestion is Smile, because that’s what I did when I looked at the finished product AND it kinda looks like a smile spread out on the floor! You are a daily knitting inspiration, Wendy. :)

23. I’ll admit that I was a bit skeptical when I saw some of the progress pictures. The final finished shawlette is a lot more interesting looking that it was along the way. Awesome job!
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..and a month went by

24. Robin F. says:

My eldest will love that green shawl- she isn’t a lace lover but that will be her fav. and since she is tiny I can adjust it so it doesn’t overwhelm her– Looking forward to the pattern.
    As far as a name for the newer shawl, in bark, how about using a Horsey term since you were on the island of horses.

25. Beth in Maryland says:

This is beautiful. It makes me think of the calyx of a flower.

26. Gorgeous view and lovely shawl!

Will you go across to Assateague to see ponies?

27. Beautiful Shawl, my significant other loves to knit. I am glad a found your blog, so she can get ideas off.
    Jen Franklin´s last blog post ..Vigrx Plus

28. Pashmina in Whitewash is waiting for this pattern to be released :*)
    Hey, to Lucy
    Gerry´s last blog post ..Knitting Update

29. It looks very nice. How long did it took you to finish it?
    Rosa´s last blog post ..What You Need To Know About Pregnancy Without Heartburn

30. Catherine S. says:

Pretty, pretty shawlette, Wendy! And gorgeous Lucy’s perfect profile!

31. Handsome! Boy, are you a fast knitter!