1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Remember how I said I was going to block my second Bernadette shawlette on Sunday? Yeah, that did not happen. Instead, I wound up my cobalt blue yarn and started working on Bigger on the inside.

I’ve made some fair progress on the time vortex lace chart. I’m more than halfway done with the top section.

WIP050812 240x121 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Here’s a close-up of the lace:

WIPCloseup050812 240x160 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

As I mentioned on Sunday, I’m using Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in the Cobalt colorway for this.

If you are going to knit this project be forewarned — the Time Vortex Lace Decrease chart is not correct. It is a stitch short throughout. (The version I’m working from says it was updated on May 1.) At the end of this section, the chart shows you having 9 stitches left and you really have 10 stitches left. It’s fairly easy to work around the error — just do your decreases one stitch in on the designated rows and don’t mind that the stitch count is off by one. The final decrease section in the pattern is correct as far as I can tell — on the first row of this section you decrease 1 stitch and it correctly states that you have 9 stitches after this row.

While I didn’t block my Wollmeise Bernadette on Sunday, I did do so yesterday evening. I left it to soak in warm water with woolwash, then rinsed and squeezed out as much water as I could. I then . . . um . . . threw it in the dryer on very low heat for 10 minutes to get more water out. Then I just carefully laid it out without stretching. My round dining room table worked nicely for this:

Bernadette050812 240x202 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Lucy did not notice me doing this and missed the whole blocking process. I think she’s a little miffed.

Lucy050812 240x160 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Comments

1. First comment?

What, you blocked without supervision?

Lucy is thinking “Wait till next time…”

2. Leslie says:

I’m wondering in what sort of climate the shawlette would be most useful. Seems too hot for hot climates, and probably not long enough when it’s cold enough to use a shawl for warmth in many climates.. What do you think its primary use would be — as a scarf over a coat in cooler climates — or –?
    I have been wondering so I thought I’d finally ask.
    Regards, love your stuff, you are a talented genius.

3. Christina Myers says:

Wow. Your lace looks much more open than mine. Perhaps I shoukd have seatched first. We’ll see!

4. Hi Wendy,
    I left you a message on Raverly the other day, but right after that Raverly crashed or something and I don’t think it sent. Anyway, Thanks for posting about Bigger on the inside. I’m working on a Mad May KAL project now, so this is a couple of projects down the line.
    I DO have a ball of Kanui waiting for Bernadette, so I’m watching everyday for the pattern!

5. fleegle says:

Your vortex is looking…um…vorexiferous! Love the color!

6. Whoosh! I doesn’t look like this one will take you very long at all.
    Molly by golly´s last blog post ..The Usual

7. Please give your dear Lucy extra chin scritches from me…..I lost my little blind cat (Radar) this morning to hemolytic anemic, and miss him terribly! Thanks!

8. Just wondering… Why the dryer to get rid of excess water? I always put my knits in the spin cycle in the washing machine to squeeze out the extra water.

9. Thanks for the info about the decrease section. I haven’t gotten that far yet. The vortex lace seems very tedious to me. I can’t find a way to memorize or figure out where I am and have to follow the chart religiously, so it is going slow. But I want this shawl so I’ll persevere.
    Carol Durusau´s last blog post ..Dark Days Challenge

10. Nicola says:

Good question Mary, I’ve always used the spin cycle too.

11. Wendy, both shawls look beautiful, done and not-yet-done! Lucy will forgive you, but will the shawl be as wonderful without her guidance? Ah well, as said, they are beautiful – Lucy too! My heart goes out to Debra who lost her Radar today. I lost my Jazz two years ago and haven’t been able to replace him yet. They do live in such a major part of our lives. My condolences!

12. Beautiful as always! Why is poor Lucy miffed?

13. This Bernadette is most beautiful and am anxious to see it on Gwen or someone live?

14. Thank you for the information about the decrease section. Love your stuff!
    Dave´s last blog post ..rock and roll

15. You put Wollmeise in the dryer? You are brave. Or impatient. ;)

16. Jackie says:

FYI – Knitty’s got an update up, the Vortex lace chart was updated 5/9. HOPEFULLY this solves the problem!

17. Looks like they just updated the chart: http://ht.ly/aNMO2
    Cyprienne´s last blog post ..Wool and Sheep! Sheep and Wool!

18. Sumiko says:

I am totally going to wind the yarn and start Bigger on the Inside too. Isn’t the yarn lovely?

19. I hope you can update your blog and for sure, we will be happy to read it. Thanks that you shared.I love this link up;
    Gabriel F. Heyer´s last blog post ..Buy Proenhance Patches

20. Florence18Moore says:

This is lovely creative, thanks for sharing this with us… :)
    Florence18Moore´s last blog post ..Web Hosting Uptime Reports April 2012

21. how dare you block without Lucy….Ms. Fuffy is miffed at me for rescuing two 4-6 week old kits. She’s not even speaking to me right now.
    brandi´s last blog post ..Oh The Fiber – Quiviet