1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Camp Loopy Project II

Spending several days at a knitting event really helps when you are working on a large project.

For my second Camp Loopy project, which must use at least 800 yards of yarn, I went a little overboard. I plan to use over 1500 yards.

I decided to knit a poncho out of this yarn:

Yayn070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

This is Three Irish Girls Glenhaven Cashmerino Worsted, in the Eavan colorway. This is the same yarn I used for my first Camp Loopy project (but a different colorway). I purchased 8 skeins for a total of 1560 yards.

I wanted a poncho to wear as outerwear for the cooler months — with a big cozy turtleneck, a cable motif running down the front and the back, and a wide rib pattern. I wanted it nice and loose for freedom of movement underneath.

I was off work last week, Wednesday through Friday. We could start our projects on the 27th of June (Wednesday) and have until the 27th of July to complete them.

I started with a tubular cast-on for the turtleneck.

Edge070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

Then I knit a nice long tube of ribbing. Here it is, folded over.

Collar070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

Then I started the body, with it’s center cable motif.

Cable070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

And on I knit.

WIP070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

I am on my fifth of eight skeins of yarn so by my calculations, I am a bit more than half done. That’s because I spent several days at The Knitgirllls’ SSK retreat doing nothing apart from knitting, eating, and sleeping. I taught some classes, too, but stayed up late each night, knitting while hanging out with old and new friends.

Lucy is happy her momma is back home.

Lucy070412 240x160 Camp Loopy Project II

Comments

1. That looks great!

2. Your poncho is magnificent. You sure finished a lot of it already! I am also busy with Camp Loopy and your own Summer Solstice Mystery Shawl. I want to thank you for introducing me to nupps. I really like them.

3. Looks great!

4. Melissa HB says:

I love how your poncho is looking so far :-) I can’t wait to see the completed project.

5. LOVE your poncho! Hope you write up the pattern and put it up for sale when finished.

6. Are you going to talk about your SSK experience more, or was it just eating knitting and sleeping?

Molly : )
    Molly by golly´s last blog post ..Not dead yet!

7. Kristine M. says:

Love it!

8. Oh–so cute! Will there be a pattern?

9. Love those Three Irish girls and their yarns! I’m using their Adorn Sock for my Summer Solstice.

And I, too, am ambitiously knitting ~1200 yds instead do 800 required for Camp project . Lovely and soft: Cascade EcoDuo in Vanilla colorway for a blanket. So smart to knit a blanket in this heat!

10. Is there going to be a pattern, this is something I would love to knit and have for my own

11. fleegle says:

It’s handsome!

12. Do you think you will eventually write up the pattern for this poncho? I would love to knit it.

13. The poncho looks great!
    Kristen´s last blog post ..FO: Green Grocer Bag

14. Lovely poncho, like everyone else I’d like to see a pattern.
    Chris Reeske´s last blog post ..How to make the stretched star

15. Very fabulous poncho!

16. This poncho looks amazing! The colorway suits the cable and wide rib pattern very well. At eight skeins this is an expensive project when using the three Irish girls yarn however, the garment will be seriously beautiful. Your knitting production is outstanding.

17. Looks fab so far , I’m always amazed how quickly you knit your projects up, the retreat sounded great, would love to go to something like that :-)

18. Michael says:

It seems to be going nicely. I would love to see the final product.
    Michael´s last blog post ..cheap spain holiday packages

19. I love ponchos. Yours is awesome!

20. Your poncho is gorgeous, I actually searched everywhere for the pattern when it dawned on me to recheck your blog! Duh Mickey. I really hope you release this as a new pattern, living in Iowa I would live in something like this, well not now it is over 100 degrees in the shade but that could change tomorrow…

21. Love the poncho! Like everyone else, I too would love to see it as a pattern.
    Jeannie´s last blog post ..Gadget Bag Gift Bag – knit, blue,green,black by JeannieGrayKnits

22. Great looking poncho! And love the subtle color variatons in your knitting yarn.
    Ina´s last blog post ..How Does Your Knitting Yarn Stash Grow?

23. That yarn really shows off the cables nicely – I will have to give the yarn a try.

24. I love it! Such a wonderful shade of blue.
    Samantha´s last blog post ..Happy Fourth of July!

25. I love your new knit. Kudos. It is so fantastic.
    Hannah Walker´s last blog post ..Smile Got You Down? Top Tips For Teeth Whitening!

26. Your poncho is absolutely beautiful.

27. Nancy H says:

I love the poncho! What a great pattern that would be to knit!

28. Eileen Bunn says:

If you do a pattern for this poncho i would be truly thankful I love how the mystery shawl is turning out.

29. Great meeting you at SSK and seeing you knit on said poncho. Looking forward to seeing the pattern.

30. You really spend long time knitting so that is why you make a fantastic project.
    Maxene Chants´s last blog post ..Male Sexual Problem and How to Solve it using Natural Supplements

31. If you stopped around the “and on I knit” photo, it would make a pretty (and warm) capelet. (Pattern variation?) Such pretty yarn. The color on my monitor it reminds me of soft, faded jeans.