1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Cornerstone Blanket

My Cornerstone Blanket is complete!

Folded012313 240x163 Cornerstone Blanket

I finished knitting the “body” of it late Sunday night and did  few inches of i-cord. I used the same size needle on the i-cord edging as I did for the body of the blanket, but I thought the edging looked just a little too tight.

Happily, Monday was a federal holiday, so no work for me. I picked up the blanket to review the i-cord edging . I decided to rip out what I had done and go up a needle size: to a U.S. size 7.

Icord012313 240x160 Cornerstone Blanket

I’m glad I did — the i-cord knit with the size 7 needle seems perfect.

Several hours and several DVR-ed tv shows later, I had this:

unblocked012313 240x202 Cornerstone Blanket

That’s the blanket unblocked. Here is is being blocked:

Blocked012313 240x160 Cornerstone Blanket

I did not bother to pin it out, just carefully straightened the edges and left it to dry.

I’m very pleased with my completed blanket. After blocking (during which I did not stretch it at all) the completed blanket is 46″ by 69″ — a nice size to use as a throw.

Corner012313 240x160 Cornerstone Blanket

I was also very happy knitting this blanket. It was an entertaining project from start to finish. I usually get a bit bored with a project towards the end of the knitting, but this kept me happy and engaged all the way through. I think that’s because I kept alternating techniques between mitered squares and a garter stitch border in the round. And as soon as I had enough squares completed, I joined them together. Then at the end? Applied i-cord! There’s a lot of variety in this project.

Now I’m thinking about knitting a wee blanket using the same techniques for Lucy.

Lucy012313 240x160 Cornerstone Blanket

Comments

1. Beautiful, and good for the present cold snap.
    ellen´s last blog post ..Gratified

2. I’m sure Lucy would appreciate it very much.

Your blanket is beautiful.
    Dee´s last blog post ..How to Eat An Elephant

3. Wendy, can you write a bit more about your blocking process for something like this? I have been tempted to knit throws and blankets in non-superwash wool in the past, but have always held back because of the cleaning and blocking issue. The only way I can think of to wash/clean/block such an item is to put it in the washing machine to soak with no agitation and to spin it out. Since I switched to a front loader a few years ago, though, “soaking” in the washer seems impossible. What does one do? Dry-cleaning seems much too polluting and expensive, but there must be another way.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Sickness in the flock

4. Beautiful! I wonder how you got the I-cord to lay flat. On my recent attempt at using that as an edging for an afghan, I ended up with a nest, not a blanket! It felt right going on with a 1-1 ratio of stitches to I-cord but it didn’t work for me. Thanks.
    Cindy in FL´s last blog post ..Sewing Room Warmth

5. Absolutely stunning. Did the Noro soften up?

6. Joan the Knitter says:

I love the way the block “insides” are different sizes. It looks so neat and geometrical. I would have never thought it would be so beautiful (I didn’t see the beginning photo). I love it! I wish I could knit as fast as you do. Yes, Lucy deserves one for herself. Keep us posted.

7. GeniaKnitz says:

Do you realize EVERYBODY is backlogged on those two Noro colors?
    I guess you and I are not the only ones who think they are totally spectacular together. ;o)

8. Very creative!!

9. Lovely! I’m curious what you’re winding next on that ball winder in the one pic!

10. Lestersmama says:

Kitty in the box!

11. Pam Gardner says:

I love it! esp. the colors. I don’t think I’d have the patience for all that-in particular the i-cord, but it is a beauty.

12. Looks beautiful!

13. Lucky Lucy

14. as always, a lovely… picture of Lucy!! haha… No, really, lovely finished project. I think Lucy will just love hers. or steal yours! Thanks for the post

15. Gorgeous. This would be a lot of fun to make as a full sized (queen sized) comforter as well.
    Maureen O’Danu´s last blog post ..On Gun Safety (an Ongoing Argument)

16. Catherine S. says:

“Please, Mum …”

17. I absolutely love the finished blanket! Beautiful! And it’s priceless how Lucy loves to sit in your tote;O)) I hope you make her a little blanket. May try that for my kitties too.

18. It’s beautiful. I love that you are planning to make a blanket for Lucy. I should prioritize knitting for my cats. They are some of my most favorite family members and everyone else gets something, why not them!

19. Beautiful.

20. I love the blanket. The colour combonations look great. I think a blanket for Lucy using those techniques would looks great.
    Cleo14´s last blog post ..Pineapple

21. WOW, it is beautiful. You are one fast knitter; how many miles per hour do you knit or should I ask how many stitches per minute :)

22. Wonderful blanket and I bet Miss Lucy can’t wait for a kitty sized version!

23. Definitely finished in time for the cold snap we’re having throughout much of the country. It was a toasty 6 degrees when I last looked at my local weather.
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..It’s a stash sale!

24. Beautiful! And just in time for this snowy weather.
    Jeannie´s last blog post ..Beaded Stitch Markers, set of 4 orange by JeannieGrayKnits

25. Stunning outcome. The thought of being cozy and snuggled up to knit with it’s warmth (or a nap) makes it very worthwhile. Congratulations on one more work of art.

26. Did you find the Silk Garden softened up as expected? I’m wearing a pair of Silk Garden socks today. Love them – the more they are washed the better. This looks great – so cozy.

27. Pam Beeching says:

What a pretty and practical thing. Love it. Lucy would consider such a throw to be totally what she deserves and who would argue with her? :)

28. The blanket is beautiful and that color combination of blues is just gorgeous! Nicely done!

29. The blanket looks awesome! Even though we’ve seen all the pieces one by one, it looks even better all assembled!
    Sava´s last blog post ..Shawl Complete!

30. Lynne in Florida says:

It’s a beautiful blanket/throw! How I wish my straight lines straightened out as pretty as yours did when I block.

Miss Lucy would, I’m sure, appreciate a smaller version of that blanket for herself. She would undoubtedly store it in the beautiful kitty bed you knit for her, and continue to make her home in your knitting bag. Cats!

31. Your blanket is gorgeous. I love, love, love those colours.

32. Very pretty afghan! Lucy will be one contented kitty to have a mini version to enjoy all to herself! Have a wonderful weekend! Bess
    Bess´s last blog post ..The Great Interventionist

33. very pretty, Wendy!

And I definitely think Lucy needs her own :-)

34. Oooh this is gorgeous!! I love love love this blanket.
    Mary´s last blog post ..Moving In

35. Love it

36. Love it! A wee one for Lucy would be sweet and the colors would look so good on her