1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Body

I’ve made some good progress on my Bulky Cardi. I completed the front, attached the front pieces to the back using a three-needle bind-off, picked up stitches around d the neck and knit a neckband. And I sewed the buttons on.

WIP020613 157x240 Body

It’s quite long — around 34″ from shoulder to hem. I have planned this as another outerwear jacket so I wanted a nice long one.

Here’s a close-up of the neckband:

Closeup020613 240x160 Body

It’s a better view of the buttons as well. I ordered them from MM Beck Millinery and I highly recommend them. The buttons are lovely and were very reasonably priced and the service was great. Very fast shipping, and the buttons came packaged in a wee cotton pouch instead of a plastic bag — a nice touch!

So just the sleeves remain to be knit. I know Lucy is looking forward to my finishing this because next up will be her little blanket.

Lucy020613 240x160 Body

Patiently she waits.

Comments

1. Lynda Hitt says:

It’s beautiful, dahlin’!

2. You always come up with the best sweater designs. All those cables!

I’m also totally envious of how fast you seem to knit. I know it’s probably because I only see the pics here on your blog, but you still seem to move so fast!

Sweater looks great! Love that shade of blue!

3. Barb Rickman says:

Will this pattern be for sale?

4. Beautiful colorway and excellent stitching. The pattern is gorgeous!

5. Venice Smith says:

This is really gorgeous, Wendy. You made perfect use of the gradient coloration of the yarn. I do hope you write this one up. What a versatile garment. I can’t help but wonder how it would look ever so slightly fulled.

Thanks also for the link to the buttons. I always have such a difficult time finding what I want in buttons once I’ve finished a project, and this site is really terrific.

I’m glad Lucy is so patient!

6. Fabulous and it goes so nicely with Lucy’s eyes.

7. Oh so beautiful…!

8. I have 10 100g skeins of Araucania Naturally Chunky in a blue very close to your Shalimar that has been waiting for the perfect project. I HAD thought that a turtleneck cabled tunic sweater featured in a current British knitting magazine was that project, but I think I’ve been swayed.

Please consider writing this up as a pattern for sale.
    Jamie´s last blog post ..If you Give a Mouse a Cookie (TM) or How I Find Myself Down Another Knitting Track

9. GeniaKnitz says:

I love everything about this cardigan! Absolutely everything.

10. The sweater is beautiful, but I’m sure Lucy is freezing and can’t wait for you to get to her blankie.

11. I hope you offer this pattern for sale. I’ve been looking for a sweater pattern with a neckline like this one and yours is perfect! Please? :)

12. The cardigan is looking so nice! Really looking forward to the kitty blanket coming up;O))

13. Fabulous cardi – love the buttons :-)

14. Beth in Maryland says:

This one is really beautiful, Wendy. Heads will turn!

15. You do the most beautiful knitting. I can never get my necklines to look so good, is there a trick to picking up around the neck so it looks so smooth? Lovely color way too.
    Chris Reeske´s last blog post ..How to make the stretched star

16. Lovely! My mom would have called this a “car coat” due to the length, which should be very useful. Thank you for the link for the buttons; I have been dithering about putting buttons (already bought!) on a garment, thinking that pewter would be better — and these nice folk have pewter dragons! Being the Welshman’s granddaughter, I’ll have to have the dragons.
    CeltChick´s last blog post ..Calluses

17. Barb Rickman says:

….I would buy it if it were for sale!! I like that style of sweater and would actually learn to knit cables (as I don;t know how at present) just to make that cardi.

bjr

18. Simply gorgeous!! What a beautiful job!

19. This may be a topic you’ve covered in the past but would you be willing to talk a bit about how you knit button bands (or point me towards the blog entry)? I see so many wobbly ones, even on commercial pattern photographs and I know a button band should look like yours – flat, not wavy, not scrunched up pulling the front up. But how to get such a thing of beauty?

Please?

20. Beautiful! I love how the yarn works with that pattern & how the striping shows up on the plain knitting areas but not so much on the cables.
    Jeannie´s last blog post ..Christmas Ornament, Wine bottle decoration by JeannieGrayKnits

21. Would love to see you design a infant toddlers children’s collection! Bet you would fab1