1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Oregon Cowl and Mitts

The project I showed in its early stages in Wednesday’s blog post is now complete: Alice Starmore’s Oregon Cowl.

Cowl031013 240x160 Oregon Cowl and Mitts

The cowl is part of a kit from Virtual Yarns and it is available in Autumn or Spring colorways. (Mine is the Autumn colorway.) The kit includes yarn and instructions for a hat, cowl, fingerless mitts, and gloves.

The yarn is Alice Starmore Hebridean 2-ply and in stranded colorwork it knits up to a gauge of 28 stitches and 32 rows to 4 inches using a U.S. size 3 (3.25mm) needle, which is what I used for the cowl. There are 12 different colors in the cowl, and some of the color changes are extremely subtle.

I made Starmore’s Oregon Cardigan in the Spring colorway, using the original Jamieson & Smith yarns and colors — photos here. Almost exactly 10 years ago. Wow. Time flies.

This reminds me of how much I love to do colorwork. It’s not extremely portable, but it sure is fun.

Next up — the Oregon fingerless mitts. I figured I could use a new pair, particularly in light of the Powers That Be cutting back on the hours they will be providing us with heat at the office. (This is a sequestration cut-back.) I picture myself Bob Cratchit-like, swathed in shawls, working at my computer by the light of one 40-watt bulb. Heh.

I started the mitts on Friday, finished them late Saturday night.

Mitts031013 221x240 Oregon Cowl and Mitts

This is a testament to how entertaining I find colorwork to be.

MittsPalm031013 219x240 Oregon Cowl and Mitts

And this morning I just barely started the matching hat.

WIP031013 240x160 Oregon Cowl and Mitts

I don’t plan to knit the gloves because I find that I never wear knitted gloves. (I prefer leather gloves.) But the kit has plenty of yarn for a pair of gloves, so I may make them at some point in the future.

Now I have to go. Lucy wants to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD.

Lucy031013 161x240 Oregon Cowl and Mitts

Comments

1. Those are just gorgeous. Alice Starmore’s color choices have always been exquisite, and Oregon is one of her best.
    Jamie´s last blog post ..The Many Ways That Stash Multiplies

2. Absolutely stunning! Portia says “Hi, ragdoll buddy!” They really look so alike…except Portia is about double Lucy’s size.

3. Beautiful!

4. Wonderful knits !
    Dorothée´s last blog post ..Sixareen cape

5. You’re smart to be prepared. Why not use that extra yarn to knit a second pair of fingerless mitts? Shift the colors around and you’d have a complementary pair. Because really, can you have too many fingerless mitts?

(In my world, the answer is, No. My office is always cold, so I wear fingerless mitts almost every day from fall through spring.)
    Barbara´s last blog post ..The Knitting Zone

6. As an Oregonian, I appreciate these patterns ;)
    Very foresty and beautiful.
    I also really love doing colorwork, and I don’t usually have a problem with portability if I’ve got less than 3 colors.
    Sava´s last blog post ..What a Week

7. Shirley Gallagher says:

Gorgeous knitting, pattern and colors. You rock.

8. I just got my Oregon Cardigan kit in the mail! I’m really happy the Virtual Yarns now takes Paypal. It made the purchase so much easier….I guess it is more dangerous now too! : )

9. That is beautiful. I love how cheerful the colors are. I’ll have to keep this in mind once I’ve worked my stash down.
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..[10 Tuesday] thank goodness for March

10. I want to join Lucy, Buffy sounds great for that not-so-on-the-go knitting. (That sort of rhymed.)
    garret´s last blog post ..Is that Grass?

11. Liz in Missouri says:

WOW! Those are SO pretty! Looks like I’m going to have to try my hand at colorwork again – see if I can get nay better at it!

12. Beth in Maryland says:

Wow, this is beautiful! But seriously, they’re cutting back the heat? It never occurred to me that the sequester would promote knitting!

13. your color work is AMAZING!! I love it myself and I would love to be able to make something like that.
    Cleo14´s last blog post ..Gauge, ’nuff said

14. Natalie Doyle-Hennin says:

Wendy, these are simply gorgeous. Makes me really want to learn colorwork. What beautiful knitting…

15. These are absolutely gorgeous. The pattern is lovely and the colors compliment it wonderfully.

16. KATE LATHROP says:

Lucy has great taste in TV watching :)

17. The cowl and mitts are so lovely. I bookmarked the Virtual Yarns site – thank you! I am working on the Min Ulla scarf right now using some Blackberry Ridge sport weight yarn. Next up should be Kate Davies’ Sheep Heid. I am starting to enjoy colorwork and you are right – it is not particularly portable.

18. Pam Gardner says:

way beyond my ability but I adore them!

19. LOVE them! Alice Starmore’s designs are stunning………I am looking forward to the reprint of ‘Tudor Roses’.

20. Breathtakingly gorgeous!!! You are inspiring me to knit color work again. Now if I could just finish all of the four projects I have on my needles right now so I can start something new!
    Corina´s last blog post ..Spring!

21. Threeorcas says:

Just beautiful!!!! As an Oregonian they make my heart sing. Thanks for showing your beautiful color work. Hmmmm, I wonder if the pattern could be adapted to socks?

Enjoy Buffy, is Angel to follow?

22. hawknitr13 says:

alice starmore’s colors and design really sparked the comments!! they are beautiful!
    ^)^ linda

23. Your knitting is beautiful. I consider myself an intermediate knitter but I have never done a lot color work and no intarsia. Do you think this kit would be a good investment for me? My problem is I live In CA and do have occasion to wear hats or cowls. I would really like to try knitting a scarf or shawlett. Do you think I could adapt the pattern to one of those?
    Your advised would be appreciated.

24. Jacquelyn says:

10 years eh? I think you were knitting that Oregon cardi when I first started following your blog. So glad to see you are back onto colourwork – this is what I find most inspiring of your works.
    I am just finishing my first Starmore kit (I finish about one garment a year – though I generally have 2 or 3 on the go) I have already received my Kongsberg kit – definitely inspired by you since yours are the clearest pictures on the internet for this.
    Cheers

25. Absolutely gorgeous, just love the pattern and colorway :-)

26. I love these! I’m a big fan of colorwork, although I’ve never done more than 2 colors. I just love how your projects turned out!
    Anastasia´s last blog post ..J’Adore Tuesdays: St. Patrick’s Day Treats

27. Gorgeous. They make me want to try using colors. I am still working on doing lace without a major mistake.

28. You do such beautiful work. Wish I had your speedy fingers.

29. They all look beautiful Wendy…your colour work is exquisite! ❤