1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

It Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

. . . Cardigan. I finished Dark and Stormy on a bright and sunny morning — yesterday morning.

CardiFront072013 157x240 It  Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

I made my version much longer and oversized, and it turned out just as I had hoped.

CardiBack072013 161x240 It  Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I did the collar according to the mods described by another Raveler and it turned out perfectly.

Collar072013 240x160 It  Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

I bound off the front bands and the collar using a Russian bind-off because it makes a nice stretchy edge. I used the same size needle to bind off the front bands, and went up two needle sizes when I was binding off the collar edge. That worked well and the collar lays nicely.

Because my sweater is longer, I used six buttons. A close-up:

Button072113 240x160 It  Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

I did not do much in the way of blocking — just a touch of steam on the bound off edges.

So it’s back to knitting on Maidenhair. And Lucy is in her usual Sunday mode:

Lucy072113 240x160 It  Was a Dark and Stormy . . .

Comments

1. This turned out fabulous! Love it!

2. You made it exactly as I plan to make it – oversized! It is just beautiful.
    Elaine Shanks´s last blog post ..FitBit Flex

3. hawknitr13 says:

beautiful!!! love the dark & stormy color! enjoy it!
    ^)^ linda

4. Deborah Keep says:

Love the colour, love the look of it, your a clever lady & such a quick knitter :)

5. Bobbi J says:

Wendy, I love your dark & stormy jacket. The color and adding length make it perfect. Thanks so much for sharing.

6. Leslie F says:

You are going to look so smart commuting to work in your hand knits.

7. Amy Schulze says:

I am totally amazed at how fast you got that done! There must have been sparks coming off your needles. It is just beautiful.

8. Joan in Wisconsin says:

It is absolutely beautiful. You are a fantastic artist.

9. I love the cut of the original and I love the cut of your version every bit as much.

Congratulations on a great outcome!
    Jamie´s last blog post ..The Many Ways That Stash Multiplies

10. Mary Tole says:

Hi Wendy, just wanted to add my 2 cents lol and say it is so very pretty, I love everything about it, the color, the over size size, the collar, everything. I have followed your working of this project and I know you put many hours into this and it sure looks like it was time well spent. I know at my skill level I would not be able to change the construction of the collar etc. but if I could I sure would be tempted. Bravo!

P.S. Lucy is sure loving that bed.

11. Turned out lovely…just gorgeous!! You’re amazing…like the look!

12. Beautiful! The collar is really lovely.
    Brenda´s last blog post ..Tour de France 2013

13. I really like the color! The pattern looks like fun. Pretty simple mostly, but with some interesting details.

14. That looks beautiful, love the color you chose.

15. Mary Lou says:

Lovely job, as always! You are an inspiration to me!

16. Absolutely wonderful! Love the color too!
    Mary´s last blog post ..Grillen?

17. I like it oversized!

18. Sandy Officer says:

The coat is very beautiful! I love the cable down the back.

19. What a great substitute for a coat on upcoming crisp fall days. It’s beautiful and, as always, I am in awe of your skills.

20. As usual, you’ve done a splendid job…I’m in awe of your knitterlyness :)

21. I raise a glass of ginger beer to you!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Paisley Punch Project Bag by ThreeBagsFullStudio

22. Esther49 says:

Beautacious! You are the best knitter!

23. Catherine S. says:

Very nice, Wendy! I especially like the buttons you’ve chosen. It seems like it’ll be forever before you’ll get to wear this beauty!

24. when I make modifications, things usually go terribly wrong! this is lovely, you do such nice work!

25. Lovely work, lovely color! I hope you’ll wear it in good health for a looong time. And I’m keeping the collar mods in mind, in case I need ‘em.
    CeltChick´s last blog post ..Not that I needed it, but

26. It is interesting that you mention the helpfulness of the Ravelry notes. I totally agree. They have been so helpful to me. Another example of the skill and generosity of knitters. Great sweater. Best,BER

27. Wow — looks FABULOUS! I love the color, too!
    Carol´s last blog post ..No-Bull Book Review: Big Foot Knits, by Andi Smith

28. Beautiful colors and I love the back, the cables are really nice. You’ve chosen the best buttons as well. Now, all we need some coldness for you to start wearing this.

29. Jude Irishreign says:

I am so very sorry to hear of this loss. She was a beautiful girl and so loved by you. I have been in your shoes and know that pain. I will keep you in my prayers that your grieving will be shorter knowing that she waits for you on the other side of that Rainbow Bridge…happy and healthy.
    God bless,
    Jude

30. dorothy in kentucky says:

I love how you made this pattern into something you would like yourself. I am total awed by the speed in which you made it.