1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Lucy

I am saddened more than I can say to have to tell you that my Lucy died earlier this week.

Lucy093012 240x215 Lucy

Lucy came to live with me in May 2003 when she was two years old. She died at the age of 12 — far too short a life.

Something I never shared on this blog is that Lucy had a number of fairly serious health issues. I had successfully managed her health problems for the past few years with a lot of help from a caring veterinarian, and up until this week she did very well. She was a happy and loving kitty living a good life. But I knew this time would come sooner rather than later, and when her health declined, it did so very quickly and suddenly. I said good-bye to my baby two days ago.

I am trying to take comfort in knowing that she had a wonderful ten years with me. She was such a special kitty and I’ll never forget her.

Comments

1. I am so sorry for you loss.

2. I am saddened beyond words to hear of your loss of your wonderful friend Lucy. Of course I love to read about your knitting, but I so looked forward to your pictures of Lucy. She was one lucky kitty to have a warm and nurturing home.

3. Jae Hee says:

My sincere condolences. Take heart in knowing you gave Lucy a very loving home for 10 years.

4. Yes, Lucy had a wonderful life with you. I’m so sorry.

5. I am so sorry to hear this! I have been with you since before she came to live with you and I remember the first picture you posted of her. She truly was a wonderful and beautiful girl and such a great companion for you and her “daddy”. I will miss seeing her sweet face every week. (((HUG)))

6. Wendy I’m so sorry. Getting to see her at the bottom of your posts was always a treat. I’m glad you had ten years with her and thank you for sharing so much of her life with us.
    Abigail´s last blog post ..Sock Show Thursday: I Need a Foot

7. I’m so sorry to hear this.

8. I’m so sorry for your loss.

9. So sorry :( Such sad news to hear. It is always so hard to lose a pet that you have ad for so long.
    Tanya´s last blog post ..Three Key Characteristics of a Smart Social Media Policy

10. Savannagal says:

I’m so sad for you. I could see how much you loved Lucy. My heart goes out to you.

11. My deepest condolences on your loss. Lucy was lucky to live in such a caring household. I’m sure her life was longer and happier because she knew you.
    Jamie´s last blog post ..The Many Ways That Stash Multiplies

12. Marilyn Nance says:

She had a wonderful life! Take care of yourself.

13. My sincerest condolences. Lucy was a beautiful cat and it was obvious how lucky both of you were to find each other.

14. I’m so sorry to hear about Lucy, Wendy. Your pictures of her always brightened my day.

Twelve is far too young, but I understand about health problems; I always knew I’d lose my Louis P. Fluffcat to health issues common to purebred Persians, but that doesn’t actually make the loss easier.

:: hugs :: Be good to yourself and remember the good times. You gave her a loving home, wonderful care and hordes of fans — all of which I’m certain she felt she richly deserved. Because she did.

15. Pets can be amazing blessings in our lives. They have this unique ability to reflect the love we give them right back to us. It’s obvious Lucy was blessed to have a life and a home with you. I’m happy for you that you had her for 10 wonderful years. And of course sad that she has left you so early. Thank you for sharing her sweet demeanor and photos with us over the years.

16. Danielle says:

I am so sorry to hear of Lucy’s passing. She was such a special kitty and as others have said will be sorely missed by all of us who come to visit on a daily basis. Please know that all my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time in your life and I am sure she has been met by some very lovely friends at the Rainbow Bridge including my Sannybug.

17. So sorry for your loss. She truly enjoyed all the best those ten years with you. Our 19-year-old cat had to be put down last year and I still miss her–I know exactly how you feel. There’s nothing like a good purr in the house.

18. You know I’m sending you all my love. xoxoxo

19. My heartfelt condolences, Wendy. Lucy was a beautiful cat and clearly very happy with you. I know you will miss her terribly, as will we, your fans. Hard to believe it was 10 years. I remember when you got her after losing your other cat (Izzy?). Hope time soothes the grief and you are left with only happy memories of Lucy’s time with you. Wishing you peace.

20. Michelle says:

So sorry to hear your news. She was lucky to have you to care for her.

21. Cindy in still, un-Happy Valley says:

Thank you for sharing Lucy with this community for all this time. I can only imagine your heartbreak. Peace to you.

22. My heart goes out to you. I lost my cat in February. It is hard. Take care of yourself.

23. So sorry for your loss, Wendy. Lucy touched us all – and will be missed. :(

24. Patricia Shaffner says:

Oh, Wendy – such heartbreaking news – we’ll all miss Lucy.

25. laurie d says:

I am sorry to read about Lucy. She will be missed a lot.

26. Andrea W. says:

I so looked forward to Lucy’s pictures on your Blog posts. I even named my new kitty Lucy after yours. I am so sorry for your loss and know that she will be carried in so many hearts forever, especially yours!

27. I am so very sorry. I’ve loved keeping up with Lucy on your website. She will be missed.

28. monique says:

Im so sorry foryour lose. I truly enjoyed seeing Lucy’s pictures and videos. she will be missed . Prayers are going up for you and your family.

LOVE
    Monique

29. Amanda Rae says:

I’m sorry for your loss. Lucy had a wonderful owner and friend that took care of her.

30. Wendy, I am so sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed the Lucy photos on each post. I will give my mini schnauzer Morgen an extra hug tonight in Lucy’s honor.

31. I am so sorry to hear this! It was clearly obvious how special she was to you. Thanks for sharing her with us through your blog

32. My sincerest sympathy.

33. Johanna says:

I am so sorry. I’ve always loved reading about Lucy. Her style and personality came through with every one of the pictures you posted. I’ll give my kittyboys extra skritches and treats tonight in her honor.

34. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss of Lucy. Few words can comfort at a time like this, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Milly´s last blog post ..Spring and new beginnings

35. I’m so sorry about the loss of your girl. Peace in the coming days. I’ve read your blog for at least 7 years and Lucy was always a highlight.

36. Cathy G says:

Thinking of you today, Wendy.

37. My deepest condolences to you in your time of sorrow. Lucy will be sorely missed. Thank you for sharing her with us. Hugs from Ohio to you, Wendy.

38. My most sincere condolences on your loss. No matter how sick they are, we are never prepared to say goodbye. Lucy had such a wonderful life with you. Take care of yourself at this very difficult time.

39. Kathlene says:

Wendy I am heartbroken for you. I have a Lucy Kitty too who is 12. I know it will happen someday but cannot fathom what it will be like. Please take time to heal and be gentle with yourself. You give us all so much. I wish there was mire we as a community could do to help you at this time.

40. I am so very, very sorry to read such sad news. Lucy was, very obviously, a much loved and happy cat. You gave her a wonderful life and she returned your love.
    So sorry Wendy.

41. I am so saddened to read about Lucy, I know what she meant to you from following the blog. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time.

42. Elaine Larsen says:

Sorry for your loss. I loved your Lucy too, and was always happy to see her included in your posts. You were a loving and caring mommy who gave her a happy life; and you can’t do better than that.

43. I am so sorry. Lucy’s photo in every post was one of my favorite parts of your blog. I have my own 12 year old meezer, and they are incredibly special cats. Many hugs to you, she was obviously very loved.

44. Having a cherished pet cross the Rainbow Bridge is so dreadfully sad. My sympathies are with you, as are those of many other people. She was fortunate to have you in her life.

45. Barbara says:

Bless her heart. You and Lucy were very lucky to have each other. I am so grateful you shared her with us on the blog. Thank you.

46. Beth in Maryland says:

Wendy, I’m so very sorry. Lucy was obviously a special creature. She has brightened many a day for me! How fortunate for all of her fans that she found a second life with you.

47. Mandy B says:

Oh, Wendy, I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing Lucy with all of us for all of these years, and I hope you can feel all of the prayers and healing thoughts heading your way.

48. My thoughts are with you. That is a keen loss, I am shedding a few tears in honor of your relationship.

49. May I just add my condolences to you on the loss of your baby. It is such a hard thing to have to deal with and I know that with our Gizmo’s health issues he will not live a long life either. But we have the consolation of knowing we give them the best they could possibly have while they’re with us – they are truly loved and they love us unconditionally back.

50. Lyn Lewis says:

I’ll never forget her, either. Even though my house currently has more kitties in it than I want to mention (some fosters and bottle babies), I felt that Lucy was part of my life through your posts. Loved those eyes! I’m so sorry for your loss.

51. Oh, Wendy, I am so, so sorry to hear about Lucy. That’s just awful–no matter whether you knew it was coming or not.

I think I have to go hug my 12-year old Chappy now…
    –Deb´s last blog post ..Review: Big Foot Knits

52. Susan (sjanova) says:

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear that Lucy has left you. She had such a happy life, enriched yours, and certainly delighted all your blog readers. She’s one of the few kitties who has world-wide fame and will live on in all our memories.

53. chandra says:

I am so very sorry for your loss — I can’t even imagine what you are going through. You were both lucky to have each other.

54. I am so sorry for your loss.I love seeing what she was up to.Love and hugs to you and thank you for sharing her life with us.

55. I am truly sad at your loss.

56. i will miss seeing her. xox you took such good care of her.

57. Wendy, I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. I came to know her through your blog and appreciated you sharing her antics with us. It is always so difficult to lose a pet that is such an integral member of your family. I hope you can feel the hugs and support flying your way from Washington State.

58. Ruth Porter says:

Deepest sympathies on your loss. It is so hard to lose a family member, and that’s what Lucy was. I looked forward to seeing her picture on all of your posts. And you are so lucky to have a caring vet.

59. Susan B. says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know she was much loved and enjoyed a good life with you. Thank you for all your posts about her on the blog.

60. Oh! I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. I loved to see her picture and she had the most wry sense of humor! I know you will miss her. Its so hard to see them sick and even harder to let them go. I had to let my dog go when his kidneys failed. He felt so lousy, he would not even perk up at the sight of his beloved tennis ball. I knew then it was time. Thank you for lettin us enjoy her company thru your blog!
    Beth in AZ´s last blog post ..shes HOME!

61. ExecutiveKnitter says:

My heart goes out to you. We love our kitties and it’s never easy to say goodbye. She clearly was loved from all your attention and care. She looked so happy in the photos your shared. She was a STAR!

In the end all we can do – Love them and enjoy every minute we have.

62. Patricia says:

Wendy I am so sorry. The same thing happened to my family last month. I looked forward to the new Lucy update and picture on your site. It will get easier, but will take time. I still have all of Zoe’s things here including her bed, toys and water bowl. I know that you take comfort in giving her the best care possible.

63. Barbara says:

I am so, so sorry. Lucy was the spitting image of my late Thai-Thai and the reason I was first drawn to your blog. Lucy couldn’t have asked for a better “mom.” Thank you for sharing her with us.

64. I’m so sorry. At least you know she purred every day and had a happy life.

65. Janice in GA says:

Oh Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. I always loved the pics of Lucy, and I’ll miss her too.

I know you took good care of her. Sometimes they just aren’t here for that long, no matter how much we love them. :(

66. Kate/Massachusetts says:

I am so sad to hear of Lucy’s passing. I’ve read your blog every day now for years to see the pictures of Lucy and her antics. She was an incredible animal and I will miss her daily sillies that always brought a smile to me. Thank you so much for sharing her with us. ((hugs))

67. I so feel and understand the emptiness you must feel without Lucy. I lost my Minky to complications of asthma, after I had nursed her for two years with the help of her wonderful vet. In fact, my last blog post was her eulogy, and I haven’t been able to go back without my muse.

Hugs and purrs, and hopes that you will find a time for another fur baby.
    Barbara Seiver´s last blog post ..A magnificent cat

68. So, so sorry!

69. Oh, Wendy, I’m so, so very sorry to read this. Beautiful Lucy was lucky to have you.

70. Oh, I know your heart is aching right now, losing a beloved pet is so hard. We all looked forward to the photos and antics about your Lucy that you shared. I hope life is offering you every kindness and comfort right now!

71. Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. Lucy was definitely a special kitty–I always loved to see what she was up to. Like someone else said, it seemed like she was “our” kitty too.
    Rest in peace, Lucy!

72. Suzanne says:

I’m so very sorry to hear about Lucy. She was a very lucky kitty to spend her life with you. She knew she was loved and that is the most important thing.

73. Lucy was a lucky little cat to have had you for her human. Having to put a pet down hurts horribly, but it’s part of the deal we make when we take them in, that we will help them when this time comes.

My cat is in kidney failure; I’m staving off the inevitable with sub-cutaneous fluids. So far it seems to be working, but I’m bracing myself for when it doesn’t anymore.

74. I am so very sorry. I feel like I knew and loved Lucy too. Thank you for sharing her with us.

75. linda-kaye says:

Oh Wendy, so sorry for your loss! Please hold on to fact you gave her a wonderful life filled with so much love. And that so many of us, out here in blogland, loved her too and looked forward to her picture every day! (((hugs)))

76. Michelle says:

I am so sorry about Lucy.. Through the years, I’ve watched her on your blog and thought what a great relationship! Mr wonderful and I are cat friends and thank the universe every day for our sweet O B Doe. I’m thinking of you at this very sad time..Lucy is playing with Socks, our sweet kitty, who left us six years ago and has probably already met woody, our jack Russell, who died three yrs ago.

77. Oh, Wendy, I am so sorry. Ten years is not enough. I hope memories of the good times and the pictures and stories you’ve shared with us can bring you peace.

78. HeatherB says:

I can’t even say how very sorry I am. I’ve followed you since before
    Lucy & I feel like I’ve watched her grow up. My heart goes out to you.

79. I feel as if I lost a special friend. I grieve with you and celebrate you girl’s precious life.

80. I am so very sorry for your loss. She had a wonderful life with you and you brought joy to hers. Hugs and prayers are coming your way.

81. Marion Engel says:

Wendy there are no words. My sympathy to you on your loss.

82. Kathie Mayo says:

Our NEKO, also a Ragdoll, came into our lives in July of 2002. She is now 11 years old, and so very special to us, just as your sweet Lucy was to you. I am so sorry for your loss, and hope the wonderful memories you have of Lucy will help bandage the hole in your heart…

83. Pam from Kansas says:

Have read your blog for years and years and look forward to the daily photos of Lucy. What a lucky girl she was. I feel your pain as we had to put our 18 yr old cats down today. Keep your chin up

84. Joan in Wisconsin says:

Everyone who has or has had a pet knows the depth of your loss. There are no words of comfort except to know she had a wonderful life with you. As I followed your blog, she was the frosting on the cake, the cherry on top at the end of your sharing your beautiful talent of knitting. She had a wonderful sense of humor (or was that yours) in all the photos you shared with us. She will be missed by more followers that you may realize.
    Joan Anderson

85. I was so very sorry to hear of Lucy’s passing. I know that she will hold a special place in your heart and she will be missed by all of your readers and anyone who has known the joy a pet can bring. I do believe in the Rainbow Bridge and know that all my furry and wooly friends will be waiting for me. You will be in my thoughts.

86. Julie Lovelace says:

I am so very sorry, Wendy. I have your calling card on my desk ~ a close-up of your girl. What a sweetheart she was.

87. I’m so sorry to hear about Lucy’s passing. It sounds as if she had a wonderful life with you. You will always have such wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.
    liz.´s last blog post ..Lucy

88. Jennifer Murphy says:

I too share my life with adorable fuzzy beasts…and I know the sadness of losing them. I will miss Lucy too, it was a joy seeing her in all your posts.

89. KathyM in SE VA says:

I have never owned a cat, but if I might have, she would have been just like your silly, sweet girl, Lucy. Know you miss her so. I think we all shall miss her sweet face on your posts. Your love probably prolonged her life. Bless you!

90. Diane G says:

So very, very sorry to hear of your loss of Lucy. She was always such a bright spot in your blog posts. Always wish we could have them with us longer. Most importantly, she was loved! That is all that matters. A big hug to you.

91. GerryART says:

Love and Hugs
    Lucy’s Number 1
    We all love her
    And will be in our hearts forever

Gerry

92. Kathy N says:

I reiterate what most everyone else has said. I am so sorry to hear about Lucy’s untimely death. She was a wonderful addition to your blogs. Glad she got to enjoy her last days on the nice bed you made for her.

93. I’m so sorry for your loss. I know that she had a wonderful life with you. She was a beautiful little girl.

94. You have my heartfelt condolences. I am lucky enough to belong to two furbabies, and love them as much as you seemed to love Lucy. I can only imagine what you are currently experiencing.

I pray that you are surrounded by love and support at this difficult time.

95. Oh………I’m so sorry for your loss. Hugs.

96. Kathleen Kennedy says:

I’m so very sorry for you loss. This has been a tough couple of weeks for some of us losing our life long fur baby companions.
    I always looked forward to your posts…and truly Lucy sez and her photo were my favorite part of each post.
    Know that she is now forever young at Rainbow Bridge…

97. Melinda says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I will miss the Lucy photos. Our animals model for us unconditional love and we are blessed to be their people (and Lucy was blessed to be your animal!)

98. Pat Dixon says:

Wendy, So very sad your Kitty has passed away.I loved hearing about on your blog.

99. Crap. Love from a lurker. :-(

100. Wendy, my heart plummeted when I read your sad news. So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Lucy with us for these many years. She will always have a special place in my heart. Grieving with you, another Wendy in Texas.