Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Lucy

I am saddened more than I can say to have to tell you that my Lucy died earlier this week.

Lucy093012 240x215 Lucy

Lucy came to live with me in May 2003 when she was two years old. She died at the age of 12 — far too short a life.

Something I never shared on this blog is that Lucy had a number of fairly serious health issues. I had successfully managed her health problems for the past few years with a lot of help from a caring veterinarian, and up until this week she did very well. She was a happy and loving kitty living a good life. But I knew this time would come sooner rather than later, and when her health declined, it did so very quickly and suddenly. I said good-bye to my baby two days ago.

I am trying to take comfort in knowing that she had a wonderful ten years with me. She was such a special kitty and I’ll never forget her.

Comments

1. Big hugs to you, Wendy. I’m so sorry that your sweet girl, Lucy, has died. Please know that our hearts are with you and that we will all miss the “end of post” notes on her kitty activities, as well as her beautiful pictures.

2. I know you gave Lucy a wonderful life. I will truly miss seeing her on your blog. I have lost a couple of cats the last few years and it is always hard but I know that I was blessed because I did have them in my life and now my memories.

3. I’m so sorry to hear about Lucy. Losing a pet is so hard. My thoughts are with you! Jackie

4. I am so very sorry for your loss. Have been meaning to thank you and Lucy for sharing the info about the bed. Ordered two of them and watched my rescue babies struggle to all get into the beds. Will always think of Lucy when seeing my babies enjoying these beds.

5. Sending you loving thoughts and comforting wishes.

6. Such a shock to see your opening lines – I’m so very sorry for your loss. It will, and should, take a bit of time for grieving, but you must know that Lucy got the luck of the draw when she went home with you.

7. Pamela Beeching says:

Lucy became a part of the knitting world without feeling a word was necessary and completely on her own terms. What a fantastic cat and what good fortune that you shared your world together. x

8. De-lurking to say how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your beautiful Lucy. It was always a treat to see what she was up to at the end of your posts. I have a kitty who has diabetes and I know how difficult it is to love a kitty with health issues knowing that their life could be shorter than hoped for. I will be thinking about you and am sending good thoughts and virtual hugs your way.
    Denise´s last blog post ..There is a Process

9. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Like so many others, I understand your loss and terrible grief. She was a good friend, and I’m glad you had her in your life, just as I’m glad she was so lucky to have you.

Rest in peace, Lucy.

10. I have no words to express my deep sorrow about you losing Lucy, we loved her too.

A special fur-face in our lives leaves such a thorn in our hearts when we lose their precious bodies,but she will always be with you. I know that is not much comfort now, but it will be in time. How fortunate you and Lucy were to find each other.

She is also missed by those of us who never got to scratch her behind the ear. Quite a gal!

11. Karin Littlejohn says:

I have followed you forever, it seems. I remember when you got Lucy. I marveled at your knitting, watched Lucy with her knitted toys, blankets, and occasional yarn balls. I am sad,sad, sad for you.

12. Wendy. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I always looked forward to reading about Lucy in your blog. We will all miss her.

13. Oh Wendy, I am so sorry for your loss.
    Kristi´s last blog post ..Hey, do you come here often?

14. Catherine S. says:

Lucy was a good girl. “May choirs of angels sing thee to thy eternal rest. Amen.”

15. gafette says:

Very sorry for you….

16. quiltercaroline says:

Wendy I am so sorry, I always enjoyed spotting the Lucy pictures at the bottom of your posts. With my thoughts and prayers. C x

17. handmadebysue says:

Lucy was indeed a beautiful cat. She will be perpetually remembered and honored in your blog logo.

18. Sooo sooo sorry to hear about your Lucy. She looked sooo sweet and loving. I appreciate all of her life you shared with us all.

19. My sympathy on your loss of Lucy. Our pets are so very special.

20. Losing a member of the family is so very hard, and I am so very sorry for your loss.
    Blessings to you.

21. I am so very sorry for your loss. I will miss seeing your Lucy pictures. They always brought a smile to my day.

22. I am so very to sorry to hear about your dear Lucy! I know you are heart broken …Our pets are such treasures. Rest assured that Lucy will be sorely missed on your daily blog by all who follow you.

23. I will miss scrolling to the bottom of your blog, (usually first) to see Lucy’s latest antics. She certainly was a beautiful girl and you can find some peace in knowing that you made a beautiful life for her and you.

24. Penny B says:

Dear Wendy, Thank you for sharing your lovely furbaby with us for all this time in your posts. I looked forward to seeing your creations and Lucy’s poses equally. As an honoured cat slave myself who has lost members of my fuzzy family I know your pain. You gave her a lovely life. I know you will miss her. My dearest thoughts are with you x

25. I’m so sorry about Lucy. I’m a cat lover and have had cats all my life. Lucy was a lucky girl to have a good home for many years!!

26. Oh, Wendy, I’m sorry for your loss.

27. Heather says:

I am so very sorry Wendy. I enjoyed seeing Lucy on your blog, and know that she loved you so very much, and you her. Thank you for sharing her with us throughout the years.

28. Esther49 says:

My deepest sympathies for your loss. I feel desperately sad about it too. Your kitty was so precious and glorious. I looked forward to each update on her activities. That lovely face. That lovely cat.

29. So sorry for your loss. Lucy was a great cat. Everyone loved seeing Lucy on the blog. A big ehug to you.

30. noallatin says:

I am sorry for your loss.

31. Wendy, I am so sorry for your loss. I’m sending hugs and hope that your memories give you some comfort. Lucy was obviously well loved and I enjoyed seeing her picture on each post. She will be missed by all of us.

32. Shirley Gallagher says:

How awful. I remember when Lucy came into your life, and how it was a perfect fit for the two of you. You both had ten wonderful years, but it’s not enough. I’m so sorry you lose her too soon. Shirley

33. So very sorry, no matter how long they are with us, they always leave too soon.

34. We’re on feline proprietor number six, and the current one is supposed to be our daughter’s and to go live with her when she finishes college. We have been where you are, and it doesn’t get any easier. Knowing that Lucy shared those years with you, and that you did the best you could for her, will make it easier, but not easy, never easy. I’m so sorry for you both.

35. Wendy, I am so very sorry for your loss.

36. Oh my goodness… My heart breaks for you. Please take solace in knowing what a wonderful life she had with you, and also how many people share your grief. xo

37. I have been reading your blog since before you got Lucy. I’m so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your precious companion.

38. zombie tomato says:

I am so sorry for your loss. Beautiful Lucy was well loved by your readers as well. My boys send loving headbutts and purrs. Thank you for sharing her with us.

39. Wendy,
    I am so sorry for Lucy’s passing. She was a beautiful little girl and brought a lot of joy to us, reading your blog. It’s so hard when you lose a family member. Give yourself plenty of time to grieve and hold your memories close.
    Lisa

40. I’m so very sorry. She was a wonderful kitty and we will all miss her. Just last fall my wonderful Tigger who also left us way too soon. She was 13 and I had expected to have her for much longer. We have always enjoyed Lucy’s exploits and picture. Hugs.

41. Kathleen says:

Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in all your happy memories of Lucy.

42. Such a loss. She was a lovely cat and I know she brought you much pleasure and company over the years. I think we are all grieving with you.

43. I’m sorry. I’ll miss her very much. I remember very clearly when she came to live with you. She was so pretty and so scared (pictures told the story). She settled in very quickly and lived with gusto. I know you loved each other and i know you took very good care of her. I’m sorry for your loss.

44. I am so sorry for your loss. Although not a cat person myself, I loved reading Lucy updates and seeing your photos of her living her kitty life. She looked like she enjoyed herself very much. She was very lucky to have found you as her person, and I’m sure you feel as blessed to have had her.

We were lucky you shared her so generously.

45. Oh Wendy. I am so sorry for your loss. She was so so beautiful. I so enjoyed her pictures and your comments. Reminded me of my own dear kitty who passed on three years ago. Still not over it. Both brought us much joy. My sincerest condolences.

46. Oh, Wendy, I am so sorry. Lucy was a very special cat to many of us blog readers, including me. Vickie

47. I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I lost one of my two Ragdolls a few years ago to cancer and I still miss him terribly. I receive your blog in my email. I have to admit that I always scroll down first to see what Lucy has to say before reading the rest of it. She always brought a smile to my face. Thank you for sharing her with us.

48. skubitwo says:

so sorry for you. watching our big guy slowly waste away from severe kitty asthma. trying to decide when to put him down, or not. his sister is so confused. my adult sons are stressed; he was their “zen dude”. so loved your stories and pictures of lucy. what a sweetheart she’s been. many many hugs for you.

49. Maureen says:

So sorry for your loss. They are never with us long enough.

50. I’m so sorry for your loss! Lucy was beautiful and I loved seeing her photos in your blog. Thank you for sharing her with all of us.

51. Lynne in Florida says:

Oh, Wendy, I am so, so sorry! As Connie said, thank you for sharing her with all of us. We grieve with you.

52. My deepest sorrow as you face the loss of your special family member. Thank you so much for sharing Lucy with us and including her in “our knitting family”. She will be missed by all of us.{{{{hugs from Oklahoma}}}}

53. I had to step away after reading this post… I’ve always looked forward to the updates and photos of your Lucy, because I could remember my Lucy thru them. I will miss them both.

54. Ruth hibberson says:

So sorry to hear about Lucy. She was a beautiful cat and the photos you took of her were lovely. She was lucky to have you.

55. Carol Lee says:

Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. We lost our girl not long ago. Please take care of yourself and know Lisa was loved. You did a wonderful job of allowing Lucy to be a part of all your blog readers lives. Thank you.

56. Jennifer in NC says:

I am so, so sorry to hear that. Lucy was a great cat.

57. Rachael W. says:

I’ve been following your blog for several years now and always enjoyed the “Lucy Sez” part in each post. Thank you for sharing your baby with us.

58. I am very sorry for your loss. Lucy was very special. She was lucky to have you to take care of her. with sympathy, Julie

59. I am sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved cat – I know only too well how that feels – take care and know that she had a great life with you!

60. I’m stunned. This is heart-breaking news. Her personality always came through as a gentle and sweet soul. My condolences on your loss.
    Linda´s last blog post ..A tale of two car dealers

61. Hugs Wendy!

She will be missed.

Molly : )
    deepbluerenegade´s last blog post ..Episode 6: Frankenstein and Kittens

62. There are no good words to say how sorry I am. Your heart must be broken.

63. Susanna in Seattle says:

Dear Wendy,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed reading about Lucy and all the great knitting assistance (blocking in particular) she gave you over the years.

Best, Susanna

64. Wendy – I let out an audible “oh no” when I read your blog. I am so sorry you lost your beautiful Lucy. Like others I’ve noticed, I sometimes would scroll down to see what she was up to! Always brightened my few minutes with you each time. She certainly looked content and seemed a real sweetie. Each day will get better but know you miss her. Thanks for letting us into hers and your lives.

65. Wendy, I am so sorry – many people don’t know what a pet meens to us pet people, our prayers are with you.

66. Wendy, I’m so sorry. Lucy was such a “star” and obviously very loving, and much loved. Take comfort in the joy you brought each other. And when the time is right, Lucy would want you to share that love with another kitty in need. Hugs.
    Angeluna´s last blog post ..9/11 Remembrance and an Odd Momento

67. We will all miss Lucy. She had the best life a kitty could enjoy with such a loving kitty mom. Please accept our condolences.

68. Terry Niles says:

I am so sorry. We will all miss her, too.

69. I am so sorry. Please accept my condolences.

70. LaVelle Nott says:

Oh, Wendy. I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. I will miss hearing about her so much. It was always a joy to see her picture in your blog posts. I am so sorry for your loss.
    LaVelle

71. With tears in my eyes I am sending you thoughts and hugs and am so very sorry to hear about Lucy. Thank you for loving and caring for her for all these years you gave her. She was a specially loved kitty girl.

72. Buttterflymom says:

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and so sorry for your loss. It is so very hard to say good-bye to our furry babies.

Lucy and her sweet ways will be missed. She was such a beautiful girl. The pictures and your comments about what she was up to were such a nice ending to your posts. Thank you for sharing her life with us.

73. Judy J. says:

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of beautiful Lucy. And glad she had a good life with you.

74. oh my dear. all of us with kitties and without send you waves of love.

It was obvious from the way you wrote about her and the photos you posted that she had a wonderful life with you. my own dear katie’s death anniversary (a sudden death) was wed (two years now). its still hard and i miss her all the time but i know she had a good life too.

the comfort we can take is the love and care we gave them.

Emile and Isolde my own two kitties send meows and nose rubs to you too.

75. I am so sorry for you. Lucy was a friend all these years. She had a great life with you and is probably a star in the cat paradise. Big hug
    Dorothée´s last blog post ..Bonheur d’été *6

76. I lost my Birman a few weeks ago – they have very distinctive personalities and I know you must miss her very much. Sad news for all your blog readers too

77. Wendy, I know words from unknown people do not help so much. But I want to send you a big hug. I know we’ll what you are going through. She was a happy kitty with you and that IS actually a consolation. I know it’s hard, but when I think to the cats I lost, I always think it is better that I suffer than they do.
    A big, hug from Italy.
    Marta
    Marta´s last blog post ..Concerto.

78. My heart is heavy for you. You know Lucy was meant to be with you and you were both blessed with the time you had together. Much love (with purrs and headbonks) from The Six Pack.

79. I’m so sorry to hear of the untimely demise of your beloved friend (and knitting assistant). Lucy was such a treasure…love the Lucy snippets at the end of your posts. Take care Wendy!
    Brenda´s last blog post ..Tour de France 2013

80. pattieknits says:

So, so sorry. You were lucky to have each other these past ten years.

81. I am so sorry for the loss of Lucy!

Lucy was the reason I started reading your blog and I always loved that she had the last word in every post.

The blog won’t be the same without her!

You gave Lucy a great life and she was extremely well loved.
    Puddytatpurr´s last blog post ..My Good Deed

82. I’m so sorry. she was a gorgeous kitty and well loved.

83. joyce t. says:

My deepest condolences for your loss. It is a pain shared by all of us who love our “furry kids”—their lives are too brief.I hope you are comforted by the knowledge that you saved her life when you adopted her, and gave her a good, happy life with the best of loving care.I too enjoyed seeing your photos of her and will miss her gentle playful presence.

84. I’m so sorry. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved kitty. I lost mine earlier this year. Lucy was a beautiful kitty and it’s clear she gave you a lot of joy over the years. I’m praying for you.

85. Adee Brownlee says:

so so sorry for your loss. hugs from a fellow ragdoll owner. I’ll miss looking for the photos of Lucy lounging on all your new knits. She was a beautiful cat

86. Mary Lou says:

So very sorry to hear this…sending a virtual hug and a big thank you for sharing tales of Lucy with us for all these years. She’s waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, never fearl

87. I’m sorry for your loss. 🙁
    Word Lily´s last blog post ..Today in bookish thoughts

88. I am so sorry to hear this. I know how difficult it is to say goodbye to a wonderful kitty. Take comfort in knowing you did the best you could for her, and she had a wonderful life with you.

89. I’m so sorry for you loss. I lost my cat Teddy a couple of weeks ago and he left a big void in my life.
    Lina´s last blog post ..Latest project

90. I’m so sorry for your loss. My kitty Logan passed 2 years ago. He was 14 and even though that’s a long life, it wasn’t easy.

91. I’m so sorry. She was a wonderful kitty.

92. So sorry to hear your sad news Wendy. I hope you are doing okay.

93. I’m so sorry for your loss. Lucy was a beautiful cat and I know we’ll all miss her.

94. I haven’t checked in for a while and was so sad to learn of Lucy’s passing. You gave her a life as beautiful as she was. My heartfelt condolences.

95. elaine in colorado says:

Wendy, i am so sorry… They are never with us long enough… but never leave us either. Hugs!

96. I am so very sorry to hear about Lucy! My heart goes out to you.

97. Lucy had a mom that loved her and a huge adoring audience. Yes, Lucy was lucky to have you but you were also lucky to have had her. Our language doesn’t have a word that really does justice to the special relationship between our much beloved animals and ourselves. I have also had to say goodbye too soon. Lucy was family, friend, and companion. You loved her, you will miss her and your life was richer for her presence.

When, Shelby, my golden retriever, past away I was certain I would not want another dog in my life. Shelby was literally my shadow. As I would do the things I had done with her by my side, I was sad and missed her presence but I also had precious memories. I have had two other dogs in my life since Shelby and my relationship with them has been different but special in their own way.

To Lucy, a rag doll with unprecedented personality and a connoisseur of fine knitwear, rest in peace.

98. Nothing can really help the heartsick you feel, but having recently lost my two very dear cats (one was 15; the other 18), I know the hurt and send you my heartfelt condolences. I loved seeing Lucy’s beautiful face grace your site as I know every one else did, too.

99. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss of your furbaby, Lucy! Such a pretty little girl. I know she meant the world to you! May the memories of your time together bring you much comfort! {{{hugs}}}

100. I am so very sorry for the loss of Lucy….she has been an integral part of your blog all these years. Many blessings to you…
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Projects…