My new work in progress is Agata, a sweater in the latest edition of Knitty.
The original was made from Freia Handpaints, but I am making mine from Noro Kureyon, colorway 332, which is predominantly shades of green. This is the prettiest Kureyon colorway, in my opinion.
The originalwas knit with two different yarns from Freia Handpaints, both of which are sportweight, and I am making mine from one shade of Kureyon, which is a heavy worsted. How can this work?
The stated gauge in the pattern works well for worsted weight:
16 sts/24 rows = 4 inches in stockinette st with larger needles (size 9), after blocking
18 sts/34 rows= 4 inches in garter st with middle needles (size 8), after blocking (gently stretched)
I have knit with Freia sportweight yarn and it did seem to be a true sportweight to me, so I am unclear how it would look knitted at such a large gauge. I did take the time to knit gauge swatches with my Kureyon and attained perfect gauge with both the size 8 and size 9 needle, in garter and stockinette stitch respectively.
Here is my progress so far:
Kind of hard to figure out, isn’t it? 😉
The center back panel is worked in garter stitch, back and forth. That’s the horizontal striped section. Then you pick up and knit along each long side to continue the back. Bind off partway down when you reach the side of the back to make an armhole, and on the next row cast on the same number of the bound-off stitches and continue on to knit a side front. If you look at the pattern schematic at the link given above, it makes sense.
I have finished the left side and am working on the right side. I went ahead and sewed the left shoulder seam, so I could put it on the mannequin to model:
The pattern has you knit the front band/collar piece separately and sew it to the body, but I left the front left stitches live 9and will do s on the front right as well). Then I’ll pick up stitches along the back neck. This way I can attach the garter band to the body as I knit it, but working the last stitch of every right-side row together with a stitch from the body. It’s the same way you would knit an applied edging onto a lace shawl. I know that 2 garter rows equal one stockinette stitch, because that’s the rate of pick-up I did along the side back:
I think it’ll look much neater this way. I will knit the sleeves separately but I might pick up stitches around the armhole and attach the sleeves using a three-needle bind-off. I plan to do just a “regular” ribbed cuff on the sleeve instead of the elbow-high ribbing.
The government shutdown has been very helpful in my knitting progress. I’ve gotten a great deal of extra knitting time each day. I’m also doing more cooking, some cleaning, and of course spending a lot of quality time with this little guy:
“Thank you for buying my momma’s patterns. They are still 50% off the regular price.”