1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Snowy Wednesday

It’s snowy and very cold, courtesy the Polar Vortex. A good day for knitwear!

I got the day off (mostly) yesterday for our “snowstorm” but went in to the office today, bundled up in down coat and wool shawl. We don’t often get temperatures this low, but when we do, I certainly have an arsenal of wool handy to fight the chill!

I’ve made progress on my Midnight Waterfall. The back is complete:

WIPBack012214 240x230 Snowy Wednesday

(You can just see my knitting inspector’s head at the bottom right of that photo.)

I’ve started on a side front:

WIP012214 240x134 Snowy Wednesday

Photos taken in two different places with vastly different lighting. The first one is more true to life.

I’m on the fence about this sweater. I can’t decide if it’s pretty or if it’s a clown sweater. I’m afraid right now I’m leaning toward clown sweater. I really can’t imagine wearing something this loud, so I’m thinking at the very least I’ll put it in time out. Yep, I picked out the colors, but I’m not sure I like how they are going together. My opinion of the sweater is also colored by the fact that the pattern is a hot mess.

Anyway. I’ve got another project waiting in the wings that I’m actually excited about. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

In other news, on cold winter nights, it is great to have a sleepy baby polar bear with whom to snuggle.

Loki012114 231x240 Snowy Wednesday

Check out the size of his paw in comparison to my hand. He’s a big boy!

Comments

1. SNUGGLE KITTY!!! <3

2. Look at that beautiful boy!

3. It reminds me of those Bargello needlepoint designs from the 80s.

4. He is a beauty. A good balance to my black cat. :)
    Judy Exline´s last blog post ..Let It Snow??

5. What lap warmer he is. But an awesome inspector he has become!

6. KateJonze says:

My gosh! I new I loved Loki at first sight, but had no idea what a big boy he is!

I love the design of “Midnight Waterfall,” but not so much the colors. I’m not sure I’d wear it in any colors, actually. But the work in it is wonderful.

7. Lestersmama says:

I have a huge crush on Loki.

8. Loki IS a big boy! Hadn’t noticed that until you compared his paw to your hand. I have a photo of my male Ragdoll, Izzy, sitting in a generous-sized shoebox, and he spills over in every direction. I suspect that the boys are all big fellas.

9. I like your sweater….i don’t think it looks a bit clownish! Yes, I agree, it reminds me of Bargello, also.

10. Just got up from a nap with my cat and it was hard to get up as she was perched on top of me and warm, warm, warm so I know what you mean.

11. I like the colors, and I like the design — but I’m with you, I don’t think I like them together. I’m agreeing with you! And Loki! What a love! And he is a big adorable fuzzy boy! What a great companion.

12. picadrienne says:

I think with black slacks and a black long sleeve tee-shirt or blouse or turtleneck it would be awesome. I think it needs the plain background, but worn selectively, would be rather lovely.

13. I have had some yarn that I dyed for years…..why on earth did I pick those colors only to be totally shocked when I overdyed them and wished I had more! It’s always a possibility…perhaps an indigo over dye? Loki is one honking big kitty! Such a handsome devil too.

14. Baby polar bear indeed! Those paws are something else! I want a set.

15. Kristine M. says:

Loki is such a sweet fuzzy boy! He’s perfect company for this freezing cold.

16. what a beautiful, sorry I was going to say vest as it would make great one, sweater.
    just wish you could send some snow as we never get it here in Queensland in winter but it’s summer here and hot and sweaty.
    May be Loki’s hair could be spun and used for doggy coats as it looks so long.

17. Julie Beaver says:

TOTALLY snuggle kitty. He growing up so beautiful and fluffy!

18. Dorothy in Kentucky says:

I love you’re little polar bear too.

19. linda broglan says:

Awww! And those are some lion sized paws… <3<3<3

20. He certainly is a big, beautiful boy, he must be such fun to hug. I think your work is lovely and not clownish, I agree with another writer that with a simple black, top it would be stunning. But in the end you are the one who will be wearing it so it has to please you.

21. Loki is the Great Pyranees of cats! I have three of them (and regular cats as well) but Loki would be the perfect blend of big white and furry!:)

22. Sweet!

23. Heidi (LunaKitty) says:

I personally love the colors, but I will say that when I saw the picture, my first thought was “that doesn’t look like Wendy!”

24. GeniaKnitz says:

We better not tell my white cat Harry just how much I love Loki!

25. Mmmmmm – agree with you about the sweater. Beautiful cat though!!

26. Love a snuggle kitty. Your sweater would be great with an all grey, all black ensemble…especially on a cold, grey winter day.

27. southparknitter says:

He is definitely a big boy and looks so sweet when sleeping.

28. Beautiful work, lovely yarn and an interesting dilemma. It’s difficult to enjoy a project when the pattern fights you every inch of the way. It would mean lots of reknitting, but moving the medium rose to the center panel might actually tone down and unify the diamond strips. Just thinking out loud …
    Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress´s last blog post ..Confronting the Clutter

29. My gosh he is so big! He is beautiful. What a good boy he is.

30. Liz in Missouri says:

I think what I see with this sweater is Argyle. Not even a little bit clownish. I totally agree with picadrienne that it would look stunning with black or even with dark browns. I think once you have it done and blocked and aren’t fighting the pattern anymore, you’ll feel a lot better about it.
    And that Loki! I mean really – what’s not to love?

31. I just want to hug Loki! What a sweet (ginormous) kitty. If you can make it through the pattern and like the sweater you get, there’s always the option of over-dying to tone down the colors a bit.
    ConnieB in Ohio´s last blog post ..Happy New Year!

32. Love the kitty – the sweater? not so much. It looks like a fun thing to knit – nice colors, stripes, lots of texture, (i love a sweater with lots of texture) but I’m afraid the end result may be overwhelming.

33. He’s just gorgeous.

Jenn
    Tiny Tyrant´s last blog post ..An End and a Beginning

34. actually I like the colors, and I do hope you finish it, even if not right now. Can you send some of the polar vortex west please? we are desperate for snow and rain.

35. I’m afraid I’m leaning towards “clown sweater.” It looks like a very knitterly sweater – interesting technically, perhaps, but not something that a non-knitter would every wear.

36. The Waterfall looks like such an interesting knit! But I really love the little “polar bear” and great that he is a knitting inspector too – lol!

37. Ugh – so hard when you’ve put that much work into it to start doubting if you like it! Time out is good – take it out later for a fresh perspective. I love the colors you picked.
    And Loki is just adorable – so big and fluffy and the perfectly warm lap cat!