1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Twelve Years

First things first, the winner of a copy of  Happy Feet by Cathy Carron is Jamie, who has been emailed. Thanks to everyone who left a comment to enter the contest and of course to the always-generous Sixth and Spring Books for supplying the books for review and giveaway.

It escaped my notice last week that my blog had a birthday. At the beginning of this month, my blog turned 12 years old. My original blog was part of my wendyjohnson.net domain and the very oldest entries are still over there. Here is my first week of blogging.

Gripping reading, is it not? I do think I’ve come a long way since then. icon wink Twelve Years

I am not doing anything in particular to celebrate 12 years of blogging. Later this month there will be a big Loki Birthday Extravaganza (more on that later) — that plus a blog birthday celebration is too much excitement for me.

Speaking of coming a long way . . .

The Nordic Scarf is done.

NordicScarf040614 144x240 Twelve Years

I thought it would be fun to make an i-cord fringe, so that’s what I did. The scarf is knit in the round and then laid flat, so I picked up a couple of stitches from the front and back for each i-cord. It’s fun and I like how it looks, so it is All Good!

Fringe040614 240x177 Twelve Years

The pattern will be coming soon. Now I will need to put the scarf away until next winter. For most of last week the weather has been more or less seasonable. No snow!

Speaking of spring, I notice that Loki is starting to blow his coat. He still has plenty of floof on board, but I am getting considerably more loose fur out of him each day when I groom him.  I learned pretty quickly that he needs to be groomed every day. I could get away with grooming Lucy once a week, but Loki’s fur is far thicker and longer than hers ever was. Because of that, I have found, unfortunately, that it does mat, so I am ever vigilant. I would much prefer to comb out any mats but Loki, as much as he loves his Momma and enjoys the grooming sessions, is after all a wiggly little boy, and I have resorted to cutting out a couple of mats. I don’t want to hurt him by pulling on tangles and therefore make grooming sessions unpleasant, but on the other hand I hate the idea of cutting chunks of fur out of his coat. I shouldn’t worry, I guess, because he has so much floof any mat-cutting I’ve done is pretty un-noticable.

T-Rex!

There were several questions in the comments about my stated necessity for knitting a T-Rex. Hey, sometimes a T-Rex is necessary!

This T-Rex will be a baby gift for a soon-to-be-born baby boy. I’ve not made great progress on it because I’ve been using it for lunchtime knitting only. I generally get interrupted with work-related stuff during lunch every day, so I do not have a lot of knitting time there. But now that the Nordic Scarf is all but done, I can turn my attention full-time to the T-Rex so will hopefully complete it pretty quickly.

Here is the body in progress. I’ve knitted the tail before completing the body as I though it would be easier than knitting it on the completed stuffed animal, as directed in the pattern.

Tail040614 240x160 Twelve Years

And I’ve started on a leg. I’ll knit the arms and legs next, then complete the body.

Leg040614 240x160 Twelve Years

After T-Rex completion I think I will work on a series of small projects for a while. I’ve done a few honking big projects in a row, so some quickie knits will be a fun change.

Loki is dreaming about what a “big Loki Birthday Extravaganza” entails!

Loki040614 240x192 Twelve Years

Comments

1. Mary Lou says:

Your scarf is gorgeous. I will definitely be buying this pattern! Thank you for sharing your creatve knitting talents with us all, and happy blogiversary!

2. The scarf is great, and I’m planning to buy the pattern, but looking at it in the photo makes me think of a tabard. Hmmm.

And gee, Loki sure looks horribly stressed.

3. Happy blogiversary and I loved reading about the odd gentleman on the train :) Great scarf and thanks for the GREAT idea of icord fringe – I would have never thought of that and it looks fabulous and extra bonud -won’t tangle like regular fringe. You are a genius!

4. Rosemary Johnson says:

For what it’s worth, we had a very floofy Himalayan a few cats ago and no matter how much brushing we did, she got mats. We tried all kinds of special brushes, but nothing seemed to really work. We resorted to cutting them out too because it was less painful and quicker. She was only patient for so long!. She had so much hair, the missing clumps did not really show.

Your scarf is beautiful Thanks for blogging.

5. The scarf is lovely and looking forward to the pattern but I am especially interested in the T-Rex. I have a grandson who would like one.
    And on another note, you might have a spinner in your neighborhood who will spin up Loki’s fur. I’ve mixed my short hair cats fur with wool for spinning something to remember them by.

6. Your scarf is gorgeous Wendy! Am interested in seeing progress of your T-Rex. Love the color too.

Loki looks wonderful too! Love your blog and hearing all about Loki and your knitting.

7. Michelle says:

Hey Wendy! I have Pyranees the dog version of Loki (or at least the dog fur version). I use the plastic letter openers with the razor in them to safely razor out mats. Buy the stiff sturdy plastic ones and always razor out away from the skin and you will be able to gently razor away the mats and you really can’t tell! Try it it will make mat life so much easier!

8. The scarf is gorgeous! About Loki and I haven’t tried this, but the dog and rabbit people use cornstarch on a matt to loosen it and find it easier to comb out. Good luck.
    sharon´s last blog post ..Shearing day

9. Dorothy in Kentucky says:

I love the scarf. Very beautiful. I cannot believe you have had Loki a year already. He is such a beautiful kitty.

10. happy blog anniversary give Loki an extra snuggle for me.

11. Charlotte says:

beautiful colorwork & scarf

12. The scarf is lovely. I was looking at it and mentally substituting a range of different colors! Such wonderful possibilities.

I’ve recently discovered a wonderful cat fur cleanup! Unfortunately I can’t give credit where it’s due since I don’t remember where I saw it. Take an ordinary disposable latex glove. Put it on and rub your hand over any upholstered surface – chairs, cushion, whatever- and the fur will just roll up into strands (Hmm. Spinnable?) ready to toss out. A dream come true for someone with a white furred cat who just loves my dark red office chair!

13. Your Nordic Scarf is A-MA-ZING!

14. That Loki–he has the life!

15. Invest in a Furminator for Loki. It works wonders. I got one (at a much cheaper rate) on ebay for my dog. Amazing what comes off easily. My dog actually loves it because she loves getting scratched.

16. Kathryn says:

Now that I see the scarf finished, I can see that though double-knit, it is not too thick. It looks great.

17. ikkinlala says:

Congratulations on twelve years! Yours was one of the first blogs I started reading when I learned to knit.

18. Happy Blog Birthday! I’ve been reading your blog for a few years and it’s always been inspiring. The scarf looks great- and can’t wait to see the T-Rex – such happy colors!
    Can’t believe Loki’s fixing to have a birthday – time flies.

19. Happy blog birthday and happy early birthday to Loki. We had 2 cats with medium to long fur, and like you, I resorted to cutting out mats to lessen the trauma of the pulling of comb/brush.
    The scarf is gorgeous!!

20. Catherine S. says:

12 years??? Impossible! Congrats, Wendy. You are a force. xo

21. First, congratulaations–12 years–what dedication.

Second, the scarf is lovely.

Finally, I have a floofy dog and used to feel very guilty when I had to cut out a fur ball. But, I’m over it. The cutouts are almost always unnoticeable; she is a more comfortable puppy, and we have a lot less conflict lol. Onr thing I always try is running a very sharp thin scissor blade through the hairball (directing the blade away from her body, well duh) which repeated several times sometimes makes it possible to comb the furball out. You are a good kitty mama and Loki is lucky to have you!

22. Lynne in Florida says:

Didn’t think I would like the scarf, as I don’t really care for Nordic patterns, but yours is really good. It looks smart and tailored and it doesn’t scream cross-country skiing and uber-healthy snow activities in general. (There’s a reason I live in Florida, after all.)

Happy Blogiversary, and yes, the writing has definitely improved, a LOT!

I’m looking forward to the “big Loki Birthday Extravaganza”.

And finally, thanks for explaining about the T. Rex. I knew you’d have a good reason!

23. Cecilia David says:

Very pretty but I hope you do not need it until late next fall.

24. My parents had a Maine Coon cat who didn’t like to have his mats brushed either. So every summer, they took him to the groomer and gave him a “lion” cut. He loved it – much more comfortable in the heat – and no more mats!

25. Oh, and I second the recommendation of the Furminator! I have a cat with a very thick undercoat. The Furminator takes the undercoat out without removing much of the overcoat. At the very least, it cuts down on the hairballs.

26. Amen on the Furminator; our kitteh Hinky Boo loves hers! I just hold it up & call her name, and she runs to me for a brushing. Of course, she’s such a Mommy’s baby that she loves any attention at all…. I really like this scarf, i wonder what it would look like in dark blue & grey? I could see it wider too, rather more of a stole. Oh yeah, I love your idea, just let me change it completely to suit me! Patterns are like the Pirate Code, more of a guideline, savvy?
    CeltChick´s last blog post ..Fooler

27. Midnite Baker says:

Well, I’ll third the vote for a Furminator. Don’t have to use on Sparky but I used it all the time for Callie’s bloomers and tail. Found one here for cats:
    Your scarf is gorgeous! As for the t-Rex – am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Take Care.

28. Your scarf is really beautiful. I like the icord fringe. I have never made anything with fringe before, but the icord technique you used seems like something I might like to try. The pattern in your scarf is striking, too.

I can’t believe your blog has been going for 12 years. Congratulations. I wish I could remember when I started reading it. It has to be at least 10 years. I know that I never read the posts on the old blog that you linked here. Thanks for sharing them!
    Suzanne´s last blog post ..Adventures in Drop Spindling

29. Wow! The scarf is beautiful! I love the i-cord fringe. It’s the perfect finishing detail.

Happy Blogaversary!