I will confess to you that in my head, I am calling this project “Nympho.” Much easier to remember and to spell.
I think that it is interesting that when I Googled the word “Nymphalidea,” rather than get hits about butterflies (in the pattern description the designer explains that Nymphalidea is named for one of the largest families of butterflies, with varieties found in every corner of the world), the first page of hits were all for the shawl.
Anyway . . .
I am making nice progress on this piece. The pattern is easy to memorize and fun to knit . . .a win-win situation!
As I usually do when knitting a pattern that is not my own design, I hopped on Ravelry to check out the gallery for the pattern. This pattern has 707 projects listed in Ravelry! I filtered the projects by the ones that have helpful notes, and read all the notes. One project offered a very useful suggestion:
The main complaint appeared to be that the original shape, particularly the ‘peak’ on the top edge, made it difficult to wear. Therefore, after knitting Wedge D for the 18th time, I changed the welt rows and knitted them as follows:
Row 1: P2, P2tog, P to end
Row 2: as per pattern
Row 3: K2, K2tog, K to end
Row 4: as per pattern
So after my 18th time knitting Wedge D, I am doing the welt decreases as she describes.
I am thinking that when I finish, I’ll work an applied i-cord along the top edge to give it a nice finished look. I’ll have plenty of the solid welt yarn leftover, as the pattern uses double the amount of yarn for the wedges as for the welts.
Today, June 4, is “Hug Your Cat Day.” And I think I will do just that!