1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Gradients: The Obsession Continues

It’s true — I might be just a little obsessed with gradients right now. I just finished another fast project knit from Freia Handpaints, this:

Cowl072914 240x233 Gradients: The Obsession Continues

This is a cowl knit in a broken rib pattern, using Freia Handpaints Ombre Worsted in the “Blue Velvet” colorway on a 5mm (U.S. 8) needle. I really, really love this colorway.

In the photo above, the cowl is doubled.

Cowl072914a 166x240 Gradients: The Obsession Continues

It’s about 55″ around and 8.5″ deep. It’s a simple knit, can hardly be called a pattern, but I wrote it up anyway, in hopes that it might be of use to someone l0oking for a fast and easy cowl to make. You can download it free from Ravelry.

Barbara asked a good question in the comments about the yarn I used for the scarf in my last post:

Wendy, how did you shuffle around your 2 colorways to begin/end with the same color?  Did you use half of the purple, then reattach towards the end?  I read through the pattern, trying to determine how far to knit with one or the other.

One of the things I love about Freia Handpaints: when you order more than one skein of a colorway, you get skeins that work together. In the case of the scarf, I bought two skeins, and where the first skein ends in the color repeat, the second one begins. The same is true of the yarn for this cowl: I bought three skeins and after scrutinizing the yarn to put the skeins in order, I was able to work from skein, to skein, to skein without any gap in the color sequence.

What next? I can’t start working on my Camp Loopy III project until after midnight tomorrow, so I’ll do some swatches of future ideas between now and then.

Loki

This Saturday, August 2, is the one year anniversary of my adopting Loki. It’s hard to believe that he has lived with me a whole year! It’s funny to remember how timid and unsure of himself he was when I first brought him home. That did not last long. icon wink Gradients: The Obsession Continues Now he acts like he runs the place. And I suppose in a way he does.

Loki073014 240x230 Gradients: The Obsession Continues

Loki is going to be featured as the “Ragdoll of the Week” over at Floppycats.com on Monday, so be sure to check him out there. And I’ll of course post a direct link to his article after it goes live next week. icon smile Gradients: The Obsession Continues

Comments

1. Loki, you rockstar you!

Love the cowl – the colors just sing!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Ele the Elephant on Red Tall Mia Bag by ThreeBagsFullStudio

2. It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before ending I
    am reading this impressive piece of writing to increase my know-how.
    gewora´s last blog post ..gewora

3. Corubia says:

Very pretty. I can’t believe Loki been with you a year already. I remember when you announced his arrival. Happy anniversary to you both. Loki, enjoy your photoshoot you fluff ball.

4. patricia says:

Love the yarn! Saw &downloaded the pattern last night.
    What a pose Loki!

5. Loki is just about the cutest cat ever. I am so glad you found each other. And the cowl is marvelous. I have learned so much about knitting from you. I love your books and carry them with me on my ipad, for my go to patterns.
    Thank you so much for letting us share a slice of your knitting and kitty life.

6. Beautiful colorway. Congrats on your Loki anniversary – he should be well rested with all the sleep he gets.

7. Patricia says:

The colors are beautiful! I don’t know how you knit so fast with a full time job and Loki duties! I also can’t believe that it has been a year since Loki came to live with you. Lucky Loki, lucky you!

8. Martina N says:

I love the Freia gradients too. More importantly, I clearly remember that Loki was absolutely NOT as flooffy a year ago as he is now. Good work, Mama!

9. MizLeesha says:

Your cowl came out beautifully!! That is definitely a yarn I will have to check out.

Wow, it really has been a year of you with Loki! He’s filled out nicely!!!

10. GeniaKnitz says:

Pretty, pretty cowl. Lovely yarn. GORGEOUS cat.

11. The colourway is gorgeous! Wow time has flown by. Loki has grown into himself wonderfully.
    He’s such a big boy!

12. Ahhh beautiful colourway. Happy New Home Anniversary Loki xx

13. Oh my goodness this is pretty!! I love it :)
    Tanya´s last blog post ..Top 7 Payroll Tips for Business Owners

14. Michelle Harris says:

Congratulations to you and Loki, he is a gorgeous Ragdoll boy. My Ragdoll boy Rufus got out and went missing just after he turned two, over 18 months ago . I have his sister and another beautiful girl but I still miss him so much. I love seeing your boy so loved and happy, thank you for sharing his photos.

15. My favorite colors! thank you for sharing the pattern. Happy anniversary, Loki!

16. Yes love the colorway, gradient and broken rib…

17. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Thank you!
    Carissa´s last blog post ..Carissa

18. Happy cirst anniversary, Loki and Wendy! Loki, you’re doing a great job of managing the house!

Like many others, I am entirely smitten with the colors of this cowl!