Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Squares

Thank you so much for all your nice comments about my Sanquhar Cowl! The pattern is now available for sale on Ravelry, here.

SanquharCowlDoubled113014 240x230 Squares

For a limited time, until noon eastern time this Friday, December 5, the price of the pattern will be $3.00. After that time it will go up to its regular price of $5.00.

The design can be worked using any two colors of fingering weight wool. You just want to make sure you pick colors that have enough contrast to show the pattern to its best advantage. I do love it in black and white — I think that makes it particularly striking somehow.

Speaking of Squares

I have another book to review:

Bookcover120314 174x240 Squares

This is The Big Book of Granny Squares: 365 Crochet Motifs by Tracey Lord and it’s from Interweave. It’s available in both eBook and hardcopy formats, and if you follow the link above, you’ll see that it is on sale right now.

Square120314e 240x221 Squares

The book is what is says: a collection of 365 motifs to crochet.

Square120314b 240x225 Squares

The hard copy is spiral bound which makes it lie flat when in use. Each granny square pattern has its own page.

Bookpatterns120314 240x145 Squares

As well as individual patterns for each of the 365 motifs, there is a very detailed how-to section in the front of the book with illustrated instructions for a number of different crochet stitches.

Bookhowto120314 240x147 Squares

There is also a lot of detailed instruction for joining squares.

Square120314a 233x240 Squares

I showed this book to a young lady in my office who crochets, and her eyes lit up. She mentioned that she was working on a granny square scarf right now, and that this book would be a great source of inspiration for further scarves. Not to mention afghans and other items.

Square120314c 240x233 Squares

My co-worker was so delighted with the book that rather than offer it up in a blog giveaway, I am passing it on to her. 🙂

Square120314d 236x240 Squares

Loki would like to report that he is working on his winter coat. Being floofy is integral to his being!

Loki120314 240x134 Squares

Comments

1. Catherine says:

Lovely!!

2. Venice Smith says:

Your cowl is gorgeous. If I were more confident with my stranding color work, I’d start it tomorrow!

I’m so glad you have someone for the crochet book. I’ve been to events that had door prizes only to see someone win an item with something far less than enthusiasm. I’m a crocheter in addition to being a knitter and I actually own this book. Your coworker sounds like just the person to make good use of it.

3. Natalie Doyle-Hennin says:

Wendy, your Sanquhar Cowl is to die for. I can’t imagine the patience it must have taken to get all the motifs to turn out right. I’m not up to it (technically) but will purchase your pattern. Perhaps there are a couple of motifs that are easier to work than others. Love the black and white. Kudos, yet again. Thanks for making the pattern available.

4. It’s so nice that you gave the granny square book to someone you KNOW will put it to good use. Very thoughtful.
    Also, I just bought your Sanguhar Cowl pattern. Can’t wait to make one for myself! It’s beautiful. Thank you.

5. Hi Wendy,
    I just wanted you to know that I bought your patter yesterday for Sanquhar. I am not sure when I will make it but I love it so much that I wanted it for knitting inspiration. Thank you!

6. Your cowl is so beautiful! I wish that I had the patience to knit something like that but I know my limits, although I’m getting better. I also crochet so I will check out the book. Loki is a sweetheart!

7. So you’re not turning on the heat so Loki develops full floof?

Already bought the cowl pattern. I’m thinking about it with a very light-shaded variegated (depends on what I can find that I like), and with the dark color either black or very dark but tonally related to the variegated. Might have to put in a couple of dark bars so the variegation running back into itself doesn’t transition badly at the join.

8. Sara Smith says:

Your cowl is beautiful Wendy, really taken with It when I saw it, so delighted to have purchased the pattern – thanks for your introductory discount 🙂 Have also spread the word and a couple of my friends are oooo-ing and ah-ing on its beauty! I’m a cables and lace girl, so this will definitely be a challenge, but if I can get mine half as nice, it’ll be worth it! Exciting times ahead!!! Thanks again from Scotland!

9. Sara Smith says:

P.S. My moggy Arthur is attempting a winter coat ready for our Highland winter – I’ve shown him Loki’s picture and he’s gone off to sulk (aka assisting with a blocking project by sitting on it with his back to me!) as his floofy-ness has a loooooong way to go to match!!! (but he’s still very cuddly). Crochet book looks invaluable – gone onto the Christmas list!

10. Sara Smith says:

Hello again. Was wondering if you can help re the crochet book. Has the name of it changed for the UK market do you know? I can only find something called A Square A Day, by same author. Spiral bound the same, but being in the UK it’s not Interweave produced but Ivy Press. ISBN is different, but recently published (10 November). Any guidance greatfully received 🙂 Many thanks x

11. I love the Sanguhar, but it looks like it would be difficult? Like detail.

12. Bought the pattern yesterday…will start to knit soon! Imitation is the highest form of flattery and I hope my copy looks half as nice as your cowl! Thank you for creating and sharing the pattern.

13. How wonderful the book went to someone who can appreciate and learn from it! Sounds like a win!

I love your new pattern. It is very generous of you to offer it up for sale.

14. Wow, that’s stunning! 🙂
    Idiosyncratic Eye´s last blog post ..Where there is no spring and no autumn: the world of rapid cycling

15. I’ve fallen completely in love with this beautiful cowl! I do have one question, though. I’m not quite able to visualize this in my head, so I figured it was best to ask: is this knit as a tube, with the wrong side completely on the ‘inside’ of the tube? That is, do I have to worry about how clean my floats look?

Amazing work, as always!