Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Catnip Mouse Pattern

I added my catnip mouse pattern to my Ravelry store today. I priced it at $1.25 so after Paypal takes its cut, that’s $.91 made on each pattern. I am keeping track of patterns sold and will donate all money earned from this pattern to animal charities when I make donations throughout the year.

Mouise060715 240x155 Catnip Mouse Pattern

You are welcome to make mice to sell at charity events from this pattern.

Mousie060715 170x240 Catnip Mouse Pattern

This is an updated and refined mouse pattern from my “Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn” pattern and I am now offering it as a stand-alone pattern because I’ve gotten so many requests for just this pattern.

Mice053115 240x134 Catnip Mouse Pattern

The beauty of this pattern is that it is seamless. Not only does that make it faster and (I think) easier to make, but it makes it stronger and more impervious to rough play from kitties: There is no weak spot where they can tear it open

Mousie052715 240x152 Catnip Mouse Pattern

You can use any weight of wool to knit a mouse, ranging from fingering to worsted. I’ve offered alternate numbers for fingering, sport or DK, and worsted weight yarn. They are not a hard and fast rule, but a guide. You can change the rate of increase, the number of stitches you increase to, and where you place the ears. Want a short plump mouse? Up the rate of increase (e.g., increase on every round) and knit a shorter body. Want a long skinny mouse? Reduce the rate of increase (e.g., increase on every third round) and knit a longer body. You can also add your own creative touches: stripes, perhaps?

I wrote the pattern for two circular needles, but you can use any in-the-round technique: magic loop, or double-pointed needles, for example. You will want to use a needle size that will create a tight firm fabric. My suggestions are a 2mm needle for fingering weight, 2.75mm for sport or DK weight, and 3.25mm for worsted weight.

To knit this pattern, you need to know a toe-up sock cast-on technique like the figure-eight cast-on, Turkish cast-on, or (my cast-on of choice) Judy’s Magic Cast-on. You can find many resources online that will show you how to execute these cast-ons.

You need to be able to work a “knit front and back” increase, work in the round, knit a bobble, and work an i-cord (instructions for bobble and i-cord are in the pattern.)

Happy mouse knitting!

Camp Loopy Project

My Camp Loopy project is progressing nicely:

WIP061015 240x143 Catnip Mouse Pattern

And Loki is taking the art of relaxation to a whole new level.

Loki061015 240x135 Catnip Mouse Pattern

Comments

1. PamelaR says:

I so look forward to your posts. Loki makes me laugh right out loud. I’m sure the neighbors heard me today. lol Thank you for the mouse pattern. I’m headed over now to buy it. I’m sure Bobby J Kitty will love this. He’s been obsessed with the little bunny that I knit and stuffed with catnip.

2. Thank you so much Wendy for the darling mouse pattern. I am going to make some for my Misty. She will love it; but first I need to buy some catnip.so when I finish knitting the mouse I can stuff it right away with the catnip.

Your Camp Loopy sweater is coming along splendidly. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Loki makes me smile all the time!

3. Thank you for the cute mouse pattern! Chai and Tj will just love them =^•^= (meow to Loki)

4. Bobbles are not my friends. Perhaps Mr. Mousie will just have to be one of those ‘blind mice’ I heard about as a child. How kind of you to do the creative work on this and then donate the proceeds to animal charities!

5. Amy Schulze says:

I plan to make a family of these for my husband. He owns a pest control business. Mice are kind of special to us, as long as they stay outside where they belong! Thanks for the pattern.

6. GeniaKnitz says:

Hurray! Pattern purchased…
    Thank you so much, Wendy!
    Can’t wait.

7. Thanks for making the mouse pattern available separately, and I love that you are donating the proceeds! Very cute (but not as cute as Loki!)

8. I see a whole herd of these in my future! I will share the first ones with my kitties, gift some to other kitty friends, and make some for the local stray cat shelter to sell. Thanks for making it clear that it would be okay to do that.
    Thanks for a cute pattern and for being so generous.

9. Anna(alcatmom) says:

Yay! Thank you for the mousie pattern!!!

10. Midnite Baker says:

Just downloaded the mouse pattern. Got fresh catnip growing in the backyard, so don’t have to buy any. The kitties at PAWS and I thank you for supplying the pattern. Can’t wait to see them “Go Wild”. Have a great weekend. M

11. Bethany says:

Wondering if there will be a 2015 summer mystery knit-a-long – any thoughts?

12. Thanks for putting the pattern up! I need to make a few. (Lexi will dump hers in the water bowl, so I need to have a dry one set aside.) Thanks for donating to a very worthy cause, too.

13. This mouse pattern is just what I’m looking for! The girls have a similar mouse with a long tail that they love (they carry things all over the house too) and I’m too lazy to work up the pattern myself. Love that you’re donating the proceeds! Thank you!

14. Mary Lou Keenan says:

Thank you for the mousie pattern. I will enjoy knitting up a few for my feline friends….I have seven: Zeus, Zoe, Garfield, Radar, Atticus, Kai, and Mokie! They love catnip toys. You are so generous to donate the proceeds.

15. Jennifer in NC says:

Bought it. The pattern looks very straightforward, which I greatly appreciate!

16. Love the girls and their dresses!

17. Thank you so much for the mouse pattern! I have a newly adopted shelter kitty who loves to play with anything and everything. No reaction to catnip so I can knit, stuff and go. Thank you also for your blog-I have loved reading it for many years and have learned a lot from your patterns and books. Love to Loki!

18. Gonna snap up that catnip mouse pattern. I bought some Habu wool & stainless steel yarn awhile back, thinking that using it for a catnip mouse would make that sucker impregnable to kittteh claws and teeth. We shall see…
    kmkat´s last blog post ..Cuteness in knitting.

19. Cute mouse! Does Loki generally take much interest in your yarn? Mookie doesn’t pay any attention to mine, and I wonder if making a catnip mouse for her might trigger unwanted interest in my knitting? Or if the catnip aroma is enough to mask the general attractiveness of yarn…only one way to find out! She does love her catnip toys. Thanks for making the pattern available.
    pdxknitterati/michele´s last blog post ..TNNA wrap up