Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

Last Wednesday I completed my Crazed Scandinavian Cowl.

Cowl102515 240x215 Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

This in knit from Elsa Wool Company Woolen-Spun Fingering Weight Cormo in medium grey and natural — two skeins of each color.

CowlSideA102515 240x69 Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

I used a U.S. size 3 (3.25mm) needle.

CowlSideB102515 240x67 Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

In my last blog entry, Marietta asked me several questions about the cowl:

1.  Do you have software that you use to plot your rows
2.  How long did plotting 600 rows take you
3.  How long will this cowl be at the end & when you join the ends will you twist it once?

I used Microsoft Excel to create my colorwork charts. I opened a blank spreadsheet and set the dimensions of the rows and columns to make squares so it resembled a piece of graph paper.

How long did it take me to create the charts — a good question. I did the first draft of it over 2 or 3 days, I think, and then went back periodically to tweak things. as I knit, I found things I wanted to tweak as well.

The cowl is approximately 80″ around so that it fits nicely around the neck when doubled. I did not twist it to make a mobius before grafting the ends,  though I certainly could have. I could also have grafted closed each end and made a scarf.

I am working on finishing up the pattern, so it will be available soon.

CowlModeled102515 240x135 Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

My model, hard at work!

And at home, Loki is demonstrating what a rough week he has had!

Loki102515 240x236 Crazed Scandinavian Cowl

Comments

1. Exquisite as always!
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Lost in Neverland

2. Yay! Can’t wait!

3. For those of us who love your “vision” and patterns, I thank you! This looks like one of the most fun knits in a long time. I can’t wait to get the pattern – I even love the “softness” of the colors together. There’s enough contrast to appreciate the patterns, but it’s so elegant in it’s subtlety.

4. That is really lovely.

5. Question:
    What two shades of Elsa Wool did you use? I am in love with the effect you have achieved.
    I ask because in your header you list the grey as “dark grey” but in the body of your blog you say “medium grey”.
    Before I make a large investment in Elsa Wool I would like to be sure 🙂
    Thank you ! Imitation really is the most sincere foment of flattery !

6. Ruth hibberson says:

very beautiful!

7. Beautiful! I love Scandinavian design, and the soft gray and cream combination is classic.
    Kristen´s last blog post ..Indie Cowl- Bet you can’t make just one

8. I absolutely love this design, and am eagerly awaiting the pattern. Amazing work!

9. Leslie in MA says:

You obviously are working that poor Loki much too hard. For shame! 😛

10. Your colors are just so perfect! I hate to make an exact copy of someone else’s work, but no other color combinations (in my head) seem to give the grown-up elegance of soft gray and cream. Hmmmm. Two shades of taupe, maybe? Just can’t wait for the pattern.

11. I can see Loki is exhausted from supervising you!

I enjoy special spinning my yarn, but can’t get as fine as fingering in a 2ply. Would sport weight be too heavy for the cowl, do you think?

12. Love the results. Thanks for the excel tips. Have already
    “Borrowed” your idea and used it for planning a difficult cross-stitch pattern I was using for commuter work, while finishing a big knitting project at home. It was one of those things you should have known, but just couldn’t get past. Thank you so much for the idea. Now I will use the idea for my knitting as well.

13. Just wanted to say it is gorgeous, a true work of art. I can only imagine the compliments you will receive when wearing it. Again, perfection.

14. Midnite Baker says:

Gorgeous cowl. And Loki needs a belly rub. Have a great week. M

15. Absolutely gorgeous.

But you know, from the pictures you post one could conclude Loki was actually a stuffed animal that you pose for pictures. We might need to see a video.

16. Of him actually moving.

17. Beautiful as always!

18. @ Marietta: “Elegant” is actually the first word that came to my mind, seeing the completed cowl! Lovely design, wonderful execution. I am assuming this is knit in the round, possibly with planned purls for fold lines between halves? I am just about heartsick, as I haven’t been able to knit for some weeks due to too much work time on the computer. So much to knit, so little time!
    @ Iris: I’ve made the same observation regaring His Floofiness; apparently these moments of stillness are the exception to his busy schedule.
    Anna´s last blog post ..Woe is me

19. Love the elegant, refined look of this cowl! As I can see from the candid model shot, this design, especially in these colors, works very well for both sexes.

I think you have another winner here, Wendy!
    Jamie´s last blog post ..I’ve Been Pinned!

20. So beautiful!!! Stunning!!!

21. Wow! I mean WOW!!!

22. Charlotte says:

As always, your knitting & design is beautiful.
    I’m still only comfortable limiting my colorwork to small Christmas balls & small double knitting projects.
    Wow, first time a “human” in the photos since your old photos of you knitting, but with your face hidden by hair. Two & full view, yeah! But, of course Loki knows he’s more important!!

23. Just gorgeous! The subdued two-tone colorway is so elegant.
    Jeannie Gray´s last blog post ..On the needles

24. I cannot wait for the pattern on this lovely!

sweet kitty snuggles!!!
    Sarah´s last blog post ..{this moment}

25. I can’t stand to use excel when people create tables. It is such a bear, at least for me, to work in. I am truly amazed you use it this way for knitting patterns.

26. Catherine S. says:

This is truly a thing of beauty, Wendy. So cozy! And I love these snowy colors, so Loki and I pronounce the Crazed Scandinavian Cowl “purrrrrrrfect”.

27. stunning as always

28. I love the classy, subdued color of this. Wish I had the patience to do Fair Isle.

29. Lovely!!

30. Pamela Quigley says:

Absolutely gorgeous. Just bought the pattern even though I avoid color knitting. Must try this. My Scottish husband taught me to knit. I’m practicing my gansey knitting (socks) right now in preparation to knit a jumper. Sanquhar knitting is also on my list of must-dos! Your Sanquhar cowl is gorgeous! Well done.

31. Elizabeth Miller says:

Such ah gorgeous cowl. I bought the pattern already but would love to win the yarn package. Cormo is one of my favorite fibers to spin and knit.

32. Sandra Cipriani says:

Just love your Scandinavian cowl! The pattern is gorgeous and I could certainly use a cowl this upcoming winter that looks so beautiful!

33. Thanks for the lovely pattern and all of your hard work.