Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Minky Mouse

I have another sewing project I recently completed, this one a bit different!

Back story: One of my colleagues purchased at a craft show a few years ago a mink catnip mouse for her kitties. Her boy kitty Jake loved Minky Mouse — it was his all-time favorite toy. He carried it around and loved on it to the point that the fur was wearing off in spots.

Then disaster struck: Jake lost Minky Mouse. His humans searched up and down and back and forth and to and fro to no avail. It recently occurred to me that I could possibly make a replacement.

I searched Etsy for supplies, and found scraps of mink available for sale at a very reasonable price. (Note that I am a bleeding heart animal lover and would never own or wear a mink coat. I am fine with buying scraps of mink that come from vintage coats, stoles, etc. for the sake of deserving kitties.)

I also purchased wool felt, leather needles, waxed thread for sewing on leather, and leather strips to use as mouse tails. Using the needles made specifically for sewing on leather and waxed thread, I was surprised at how easy it was to sew leather to felt. I stuffed with catnip and attached a leather tail.

So Minky Mouse Version 1.0 was created.

MinkyMouse050317 240x147 Minky Mouse

The first Minky Mouse was delivered to Kitty Jake and his sister Sammy. Shortly thereafter I received video of both kitties happily playing with Minky.

I immediately made a second one, for Loki.

LokiandMinky050317 240x172 Minky Mouse

I think he likes it.

LokiandMinky050317a 208x240 Minky Mouse

Don’t you love a happy ending?

Comments

1. Shirley Gallagher says:

The things we do to keep our kitties happy! Love the mouse, and your kind heart.

2. I’m not keen to wear fur either, but love that you made Minky Mice for kitties! Nothing is too good for our “fur babies”. Hmm, my mother had an ancient mink stole (that had paws & a face on it! used to scare the bejeebers out of us kids!); I wonder what happened to it?

3. barbarajean1973@yahoo com says:

Loki has the best mommy ever! You are amazing, Wendy! ?

4. Susan F. says:

I have my mother’s and grandmother’s mink coats. Would love to do something like that. Any chance of you posting instructions? I keep thinking I will make teddy bears out of them, but this would be a great starter project.

5. Charlottewv says:

I just love your Minky Mouse post and pictures. Loki is lucky to have such a talented Mom! ?❤️

6. Sophy0075 says:

That is a lovely toy!

7. What a lovely thing to do! Thanks for sharing. Loki is a handsome young man-cat. Miss Meowple sends regards. She loves your knit mouse toy, but can’t hold her catnip, so it is rationed ?

8. Love the Minky story! Makes sense that cats would like mink! So cute too.

9. Lauren Kowalczewski says:

Oh my!!
    Having not heard or seen a post lately, I’m afraid we missed Sir Loki’s special day.
    We all love the fantastic Minky Mice you made for Jake and Loki. Is there a specific pattern that you used or did you use your own?? I’d love to make on for Cassie and Zoe.
    We’re all so glad you’re having such a great time with your sewing, too.

Best regards to you all and a very special Happy Birthday to Sir Loki!!

Lauren, Cassie and Zoe

10. Martina says:

You’re a genius!

11. Venice Smith says:

That’s very cute. I’m glad you included your comment regarding your aversion to fur coats. etc., because I was at first a little horrified. This sounds interesting. My brother and his wife have a beloved cat who would love this, but as said owners are vegetarians, I’m reluctant.

I’m glad your creative bend is going the direction of what inspires you!

12. Snookie, the cat I grew up with, found my mother’s mink stole hanging in the closet. He dragged it down and killed it. Then he slept on it. Then he dragged it out into the bedroom and killed it again. Then he gave it to the dog who licked the fur off it. Then he killed it again.
    My mother came home from work and found pieces all over the house. She hadn’t worn it in like 15 years so she was pretty over it anyway, and just found it hilarious.
    Snook showed us how he killed it. Growling was involved. We were finding pieces for a month.

13. Aunt Colleen says:

So glad Loki loved his minky mouse. Sweet picture!