Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

Aspen!

Here it is! Finished!

Coat053017 190x240 Aspen!

As planned, I set in the sleeves of my coat Sunday night and then inserted my sewn lining.

Lining053117 238x240 Aspen!

After sewing the lining together (with sewing machine) I pressed down the seam allowance on each side front and around the back neck. I handsewed that (using regular sewing thread) to the little “ridge” that was created on the wrong side of the coat where I picked up stitches for the front bands and collar. That gave me a perfect edge to sew the lining to, without having to worry about stitches showing on the outside of the coat. So the front bands (and of course the collar) are unlined. I left the bottom of the lining free — I had hemmed it up with the machine, and did not attach it to the bottom of the coat. The bottom of the lining hangs at about the top of the bottom ribbing of the coat. I also just tacked the hem of the sleeve lining to the sleeve seam right where the cuff ribbing ended.

Here’s an in-the-mirror pic of me trying on the finished coat.

AspenOn053117 189x240 Aspen!

I am extremely pleased with the coat. Having a lining sewn into the coat gives it some much needed stability, so the shoulders stay put and I don’t have that feeling that it is going to slide off my shoulders that I often get with heavy knitted sweaters and coats.

Now I have to put it away until next autumn.

In other news . . .

My mom had her 90th birthday on May 30! Happy birthday, Mom!

Momat90 053117 240x162 Aspen!

We should all look so fabulous at 90, am I right? I’m lucky to have such good genes flowing through the family tree!

I can’t believe how quickly the years have flown by. Here is my blog post on her 80th birthday! Coincidentally, her 90th birthday party was at the same restaurant where I took her out to lunch for her 80th birthday.

Loki says:

Loki053117 240x206 Aspen!

Look at me! look at me!

Comments

1. Happy birthday, Wendy’s Mom, you look wonderful!
    Aspen is beautiful and I love the lining. It will be hard to wait until fall to wear it!

2. Beautiful Aspen, Wendy! A knitted coat with a sewn-in lining: perfection.
    Happy birthday, Wendy’s mum! I love your talented, smart, beautiful daughter beyond beyond. Many happy returns of the day.

3. Melanie says:

This is beautiful Wendy!!!. Happy Birthday to your Mom! She look great. Thank you for sharing.

4. Your coat is gorgeous! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

5. Congrats to your mom!

And the coat doesn’t look too shabby either. I like the use of the lining. I feel the same way about heavy knitted items.

6. Shirley Gallagher says:

Wow Wendy, your coat is gorgeous. Your cat is gorgeous. And your 90 year old Mum is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

7. A landmark week! Your lovely mom celebrating her 90th, completion of your striking Aspen coat and Loki hamming it up for the camera 🙂 Well done!
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Down the Rabbit Hole Again

8. Happy birthday to your mother, and nice job on the coat! Also love Loki in the classic feline Dive Position.

9. Happy birthday to your mom! Love your Aspen coat; it is gorgeous! As always, love the photo of Loki!

10. Robin F says:

Happy birthday to your mom. She looks feisty. Aspen came out beautiful. Wear it in good health. Loki is cute as always. See you at Camp Loopy!

11. Belated Happy Birthday to your mom!
    Your Aspen with the lining came out beautiful, an awesome handcraft! Wish you are all well 🙂

12. Chris Reeske says:

Happy Birthday to your Mom, us May people do live long lives. And thanks for the quick tutorial on lining insertion, the
    aspen is lovely.

13. Venice Smith says:

Lovely, as all your projects. A big wonderful birthday to your mom.

14. Birgit Rosenberg says:

Beatiful coat

15. Carolyn says:

Your coat is gorgeous and your expertise is old world quality..your Mom IS beautiful and love her hair…..

16. Dorothy from Kentucky says:

Oh my gosh your mom is gorgeous! Oh and the out fit and shawl from her 80th were also so delightful. Those pink shoes are gorgeous! You definitely have wonderful genes! Happy birthday a few days late to your mom. That raven hair in the picture of you and her a couple of years ago is stunning. May I ask where your mom comes from.

17. Dorothy from Kentucky says:

I forgot….how could i….

Your coat is absolutely amazing

18. Barbara A. says:

Looks beautiful! Your mom looks great too! Loki is beyond cute!

19. Dorothy, my mom was born and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts 🙂

20. Michele says:

Wow wow wow that coat is spectacular !!!
    The happiest of birthdays to your Mom!

21. Mary Lou Keenan says:

Lovely jacket and lovely mum!

22. That sweater is incredible, and what a yummy Liberty print for the lining.

Happy Birthday to your mom, Loki looks like he is having a celebratory back stretch in her honor!

23. Leslie F says:

Congratulations on completing your jacket. As always, it looks fabulous.

And many good wishes to your Mom on her 90th birthday! Here’s hoping that you get to post a photo of you taking her out to the same restaurant for her 100th birthday!