My current work in progress:

Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Moth Continues

I’m nearing completion of the first half of my Moth Cardigan. I ought to be able to finish the piece tonight.

WIP091017 180x240 Moth Continues

It’s kind of hard to picture it from that photo, isn’t it? It’s the right side of the cardigan, and the enter front is the long straight edge at the left of the photo.

WIP091017a 240x225 Moth Continues

I’ve folded it down the way it will be sewn together. You can see that it forms a sleeve on the right side of the photo. What remains to be knit is a lot of short rows with deceases on the side seam side so that the piece will be long enough to sew the side seam, the bottom edge will be the bound off stitches, and the live stitches will be put on a holder to make a center back seam.

I’m sorry to say that I have zero confidence in the pattern. As you can see in the first photo, I have put a locking marker at strategic points along the side edge. The green markers are on the front of the cardi and the pink markers are on the back. Then you can fold the piece and line up the markers and sew the seams. Unfortunately following the pattern as written, there is no way one could line up the markers without doing some serious stretching of the piece. As written, the back is much shorter than the front. I’ve had to add some rows to each back section to make it match its corresponding front. For most sections it was just a few rows, but for the underarm slope, from the sleeve opening to the next marker, I had to add 20 rows to the back section.

So you can see why I have no confidence in the pattern. Luckily I read some of the comments in Ravelry from others who are knitting this, so I was on guard from the start. When I knit the left side, I’ll be able to match it to what I did for the right side since I kept notes about how many rows I added to each section.

But I have to wonder how it is possible that the pattern is so out of whack. And this is after a correction was issued to add some rows to the section that is so far off. It was even worse before the correction!

But I do love the look of the cardigan so I’m hoping when it is done that it bears at least a passing resemblance to the cardi pictured on the pattern!

Loki091017a 240x180 Moth Continues

Comments

  1. Loki’s face says: I’m staying out of this.

  2. It looks like origami. Very confusing origami. But Loki’s cute face makes up for it.

  3. I am sure you are right about the pattern being out of whack, but the Ravelry photo does show the back being shorter than the front. I am not a fan of some of the new styling with the sort of dagged fronts, but this piece seems to be in that vein. Call me old-fashioned, but my mother always criticized clothing where the hems didn’t hang level.

    I’m also not a fan of the long-in-the-back-much-shorter-in-the-front styling, or the things with slits that extend dangerously high in the center front. They seem too-designed for easy access.

  4. Yes, it does show the back shorter than the front — that is partly due to the fact that the garment is styled on the bias. But the pattern is out of whack. The schematic shows the long straight edge measuring 34″. If I had knit according to the pattern, that edge would be around 26″. And the sides that are supposed to match for seaming would not even come close to matching.
    Wendy´s last blog post ..Moth Continues

  5. I’ll probably get jumped on for writing this, but I don’t think highly of designers who SELL patterns and have the knitters who buy them be the beta testers. I think you deserve a refund.

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge