My current work in progress:

Comfort Fade Cardi by Andrea Mowry, knit from Miss Babs  Kaweah in the Parchment, Old Gold, Petrified Forest, and Espresso colorways, using 3.75mm and 4mm needles.

FOs

I finished a couple of things last week. Like this:

WoodWarbler052718 500x478 FOs

This is the Wood Warbler Cowl, designed by Martina Behm. I made mine from Socks That Rock Heavyweight on a U.S. size 7 needle. A fun and fast project!

Next up, these:

Mitts052718 500x401 FOs

These mitts are made from the Hedda Mitts pattern, designed by Trin-Annelie. I made the Hedda Hat a few months ago and now have the matching mitts. I usedSocks That Rock Mediumweight and U.S. size 0 and 2 needles. I tried out some new needles with this project:

Needles052718 500x243 FOs

Those are Addi Flexi Flips. It’s a dpn with a small cable in the middle, so you have your project on two needles and knit with a third needle. Each needle has a blunt point on one end and a sharp point on the other end so you can choose to knit with the tip you prefer. I usually knit small circumferences on two circulars, and I found these to be a great time saver — no shoving the stitches from one end of the circular to the other. People seem to either love or hate these. I am definitely in the “love” camp.

Loki sez:

Loki052718 500x375 FOs

“Happy Memorial Day to all that celebrate. Thank you to my Daddy and all veterans who have served our country. Use this weekend to relax!”

The Joy of Garter Stitch

I spent most of this past week on a non-public project, and when I finished that, I started this:

WIP052018 500x375 The Joy of Garter Stitch

This is Martina Behm’s Wood Warbler Cowl, originally published in Jen Arnall-Culliford’s A Year of Techniques. It’s the design on the cover.

The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, so into the stash room I ventured. I pulled these two gems from deep stash:

Yarn052018 375x500 The Joy of Garter Stitch

Socks That Rock Heavyweight in the Spinel and Big Brain Blue colorways.

I started with a crochet provisional cast-on — you had a choice of that or of using Judy’s Magic Cast-on.

Caston052018 500x375 The Joy of Garter Stitch

The pattern calls for a U.S. size 8 needle, but I got gauge with a size 7. And here is my progress so far:

WIP052018a 500x271 The Joy of Garter Stitch

After completing the knitting you graft the live stitches at the end to the cast-on stitches, hence the provisional cast-on.

It is a fun knit — mindless enough to work on while bing-watching a royal wedding, for example, but with some fun shaping to keep things interesting.

Here is my little prince, doing his best “smooshy face.”

Loki052018 500x375 The Joy of Garter Stitch

 

The Shift

Here’s what I did last week:

TheShift051318 500x468 The Shift

This is The Shift, a cowl design by Andrea Mowry. I’ve turned into an Andrea Mowry fangirl, it seems. Her patterns are very well-written and her designs are pretty. What’s not to like?

I used Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool sportweight wool yarn in three green colorways: Deep Bump, Huldra, and Swerve. The cowl is worked flat and then seamed. Here it is lying flat:

ShiftFlat051318 375x500 The Shift

And the flip side, showing the back seam:

ShiftFlat051318a 375x500 The Shift

The color is most accurate in the first photo. This was a very fun knit, and it took me just exactly a week to complete. I’m now working on a non-public project, but that should take me just a few days, and then I need to find a project that will last me to the end of May. Why is that? Because Camp Loopy starts on June 1! I’ve already picked out my June project and have my yarn. Do you?

Loki sez:

Loki051318 500x375 The Shift

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mommies out there!

Rose Cardigan

I finished my Rose Cardigan Friday night:

Rose050618 331x500 Rose Cardigan

This was a very fun project with an interesting construction: it is knit in four quadrants, which are seamed together. It’s worked sideways, starting at the wrist, and incorporates 4 colorways, each one fading into the next. The pattern, available on Ravelry here, was very detailed and very well-written.

I increases the rate of increase on the sleeves so they would be a bit looser than the pattern directs. The only other mod I made was to pick up stitches along the back neck, work a row, then bind off to add some stability to the neck before attaching the neckband.

BackNeck050618 500x333 Rose Cardigan

So all in all, a successful project, and I actually like the completed cardigan too!

Loki is calling me to play with him, so I’ll show you my new project next time.

Loki050618 500x337 Rose Cardigan