Last Sunday I felt the need to knit another bunny, a brother for my bunny girls, Dottie and Inga.
They seem to be getting along fine!
Horace is made from one of Julie Williams brilliant toy patterns: Boy bunny with a piebald patch. Her bunnies are addictive: you can’t make just one.
I started knitting Horace around 11:00 a.m. on Sunday and finished him by 8:00 p.m. that same day, at which time I started making his outfit. I finished up his outfit on Monday night.
He is knit from Cascade 220 in two colors, and his clothes are knit from the Loopy Ewe Solid Series fingering weight wool. I used the suggested needle sizes to knit him and his clothes: 3 mm for the bunny and 2.75mm for the clothes.
The only way I deviated from the pattern was to turn his shorts into overalls.
I knit the shorts according to the pattern, then picked up and knit 13 stitches on the top front edge and worked a bib, keeping the 2 outermost stitches on each side in garter stitch to keep the piece from curling, working the rest in stockinette. I knit until the bib seemed almost deep enough, then finished off with a couple of garter stitch ridges, then bound off.
I worked the straps by casting on 26 stitches, and knitting a few rows, then binding off. I sewed the straps to the back, criss-crossing them, and attached to the front bib with a button on each strap.
I did not do buttonholes for the buttons because I figured they’d continually come un-done. The overalls can be put on and slipped off pretty easily as they are.
And I did not forget that Horace needed “tail accommodation” for the back of his shorts!
I purchased a supply of tiny buttons online a week or so ago because I knew I was going to make a boy bunny, and I knew that I wanted him to have overalls sporting buttons. While I was shopping for tiny buttons, I came across something tremendously useful: easy-to-thread sewing needles!
Clover makes some, as do some other brands. These are regular hand-sewing needles with a slot cut into the top of the eye so you don’t have to be able to poke the end of your thread through a tiny eye — you can pull it down through the top.
Since the last time I tried to thread a regular needle it took me approximately 1,782 tries before I actually got the thread through the eye of the needle, these were a very welcome sight indeed. Here’s a close-up drawing of what the eye looks like:
If you pull the thread down into the bottom “chamber” there is very little chance of it pulling free.
What a great invention! By googling “easy thread needle” I found that they are readily available at lots of online outlets and I’m sure you can find them in fabric stores as well. These may have been around for years, but I’ve not done much sewing in quite a long time so had no need to buy new needles. So it’s a revelation for me!
And I am back to working on Ropewalk — I am into armhole shaping on the back.
And Loki wants to show off his very fluffy cat pants!