Aspen, designed by Michele Wang, knit from Elsa Wool Woolen Spun Worsted Weight Cormo

Super Bowl Knitting

The Super Bowl takes place tonight and I have what I think is the perfect Super Bowl knitting project:

WIPCloseup020517 240x135 Super Bowl Knitting

This is the start of Michele Wang’s Aspen — a project that the designer calls a knitted robe, but I am calling it a knitted coat. Either way, it is a riot of complex cable motifs!

WIP020517 240x146 Super Bowl Knitting

I am knitting mine from one of my very favorite yarns: Elsa Wool Cormo. I am using Woolen Spum Worsted in a medium sheep’s grey. This grey has a lot of brown in it, and it is working perfectly with the pattern. I’m using the suggested needles, a U.S. size 6 and 8.

The pattern is very entertaining. While the cables look gloriously complex, there is nothing particularly complex in any of them. One set of cables is asymmetrical, and the three main cable motifs all have a different number of rows per repeat, and they are not divisible by each other (like 1 6, 12, and 24 row set). This means one does have to pay close attention to what row you are on. But that’s okay — a row counter takes care of everything!

Loki is primping to make make sure he is looking his best for our private Super Bowl viewing party later!

Loki020517 240x137 Super Bowl Knitting

Comments

1. Susanne Scheurwater says:

Gorgeous! That is a pattern I have admired since its release. Happy Knitting! Can’t wait to see it done…at your rate should be next Sunday!!

2. Shirley Gallagher says:

Beautiful cables. I love the look of Loki as he grooms. Total love bug.

3. Superbowl knitting? You’re braver than I.

4. Sophy0075 says:

The score at half time is surprising. I suppose that makes up for the mostly yawn-worthy commercials (although there was a cute cat in the Synovus ad – did Loki see it?)

I’m knitting too, but it’s mostly stockinette with sixty stitches of lace and some occasional beading. Hope to finish before this year’s Mardi Gras.

5. Christiane says:

One has to be spiffy for the Super Bowl and Loki is doing his part. For once it was very entertaining. My sock with lacy motive is not doing so well. Bravo for doing these complex cables. They do look beautiful. Better not show them to my daughter, she will want them now. LOL

6. WOW.

So… I guess this means you’re watching the game on the … cable channel.? 😉

7. Sidney Boardman says:

Love your new project.
    I see Loki has left his bag.. for the moment.

8. I agree, definitely a coat, not a robe. The cables look great in that yarn!

9. Sidney Boardman says:

I hit send too soon..
    I was wondering if Loki saw his shadow when he came out of his bag. My Gwiff did, and he pounced it.

10. Barbara Runcie says:

I took a look at the whole collection from Michele Wang. Wow! That’s a lot of cables. I really like a couple of the sweaters, Ceylan and Hague. I know I have enough wool of the type shown, so perhaps one of these will be next winter’s project

11. Wow! That is gorgeous! I can not fathom how long it would take me to knit something like that.

12. Yowza! Beautiful pattern. I love working cables, but couldn’t manage something that complex while watching TV.