Pitch by Emily Greene, knit from Elsawool Cormo worsted on a US 6 needle

Surreality

Reality has very much taken a turn for the surreal these days. Work has left me very little time or energy fro much of anything,. but I have managed to work a bit on my latest project:

This design is Benedict, designed by Michele Wang. I am making mine using the sadly discontinued Rowan Softknit Cotton in the cocoa colorway, on a U.S. size 6 and 8 needle.

Other than that, it has been work, work, work. I’ve been on required telework all week and will be for at least another two weeks. I would not be surprised if it drags on a lot longer. I dislike teleworking because at home I am working off a 15″ laptop while in the office I am connected to two lovely wide-screen monitors. Still, I find myself still working at 8:00 in the evening, and I’d far rather be doing that at home than at the office.

My little office assistant is not sure what to make of all this togetherness.

Comments

1. patricia says:

I’m a Fed too and start full time telework tomorrow. Not looking forward to it- laptop and no desk. The cat will think it’s nice to have mom home, but after a day or two, will get annoyed b/c her routine is disrupted. Keyboard sounds disrupt her napping.

2. Beautiful! Sounds like your work has been affected in a busy way, mine and many others has slowed to a crawl, and difficult to get the same productivity without the typical setting. Lots of time for knitting and sewing is the only positive right now. Let’s pray this is over soon!

3. Gail M Davis says:

Hi Wendy!

For at least the past six months I’ve been tuning out most blogs that I subscribe to, trying to reign my energies in a bit for no particular reason, but I wanted to say hi to you in your telework world, I’m in local gov’t here in CA, we’re doing the same, and I can appreciate how surreal this can be. Stay safe and I wish for health for all of us!

4. Love that sweater, I have the e-book. My youngest DD has asked for it. She wants it shorter in the body, Is yours the full length? All my DDs are telecommuting for work and their cats love it.. One has a set up from her office that holds 2 monitors in addition to her laptop. Hope Loki likes having you around.

5. Charlottewv says:

Such uncertain times are so exhausting. I’m a retired fed and remember working long hours following 9/11. This health crisis, affecting hundreds of thousands, is so alarming. I’m sorry that you’re working such long hours, but I’m glad that you’’re working at home where you’re not being exposed to the virus and I’m sure Loki loves having you at home. The pattern of the pullover knitting is beautiful. The cocoa colorway is very pretty and will be nice for fall. Take care, Wendy, stay well, and thank you for doing your part to keep our government operating during this crisis. Give Loki a hug for me. ❤️🐾😊🧶

6. Beverley Francis says:

Surreal is right! New Zealand is going into total lockdown in 48 hours. We have 102 cases and the government is trying to get on top of the curve now rather than later. Most of us have rather high anxiety levels about now. Stay safe.

7. Stay safe and well! I work at a university and started telecommuting a week ago. I’m using my personal laptop as a second screen for my work laptop, but even that doesn’t compare to my two 24″ monitors at work… although at least now I can knit while on conference calls and during downtime!

8. Venice Smith says:

This is gorgeous, but then I’ve never seen anything you made that wasn’t absolutely stunning.

Surreal is right. I’m one of the older people, live alone, so it is a very strange world indeed being completely isolated.

Try to be of good cheer and remember that blessings still abound.

9. Thanks for taking time to communicate with your followers. I have the opposite problem. I’m a retired widow who lives alone. So I appreciate every one who reaches out via text , phone, or social media. Thanks also for doing your part to keep our government running. Your latest creation is beautiful!!

10. That sweater is going to be So gorgeous! I just love the cables.
    I’m so thankful that my “job” is staying home to take care of my MIL with Alzheimer’s. We moved in with her and there’s no internet service at her house in the boondocks. It’s hard enough trying to blog from a parking lot while I grab free wi-fi. I can’t imagine if I had to work a real job this way. Yikes!
    Stay well,

11. beautiful sweater and I feel less alone in my frustration of working on a small laptop on a tiny home desk instead of my big work desk with 2 large monitors. Without a printer, copier and scanner, it is taking me more than twice as long as usual to do each task – much handwritten notes as I can only open one document at a time.

12. Like the sweater! Another great one!! My daughter is working at home now. She works for Barnstable county . Thank you for all your doing. This country is in quite a state. Hope everyone pays attention and stay a six feet or more distance from each other and washes their hands and practices good hygiene. You take and stay healthy!!

13. Gina in the San Francisco Bay Area says:

The world of wonderfully kind and generous knitters has been my lifeline this past week. Wendy, another fabulous piece from your needles. I am so impressed by how quickly you turn out your masterpieces.

I work for a large public university and, like many of you, am sadly missing my two beautiful big screens. I am trying to make do with a tiny loaner laptop from the university, which allows me to access our documents that are normally accessible only from the campus intranet, and my home laptop which (thankfully) has a big wide screen. I work with graduating seniors who think the world has come to an end with the recent announcement that our spring commencement ceremonies have been postponed – perhaps to December. My special thanks to those of you who continue to blog and to those offering free patterns on Ravelry, their blogs, etc. I urge those of us who are still working and getting paid to actually buy those patterns you’ve been thinking of making to support your favorite designers, as they may not be so lucky. Take care everyone and be safe and well.

14. Our daughter worked from her home for 2 weeks, 3 hours away from us, then came home to us. Here she has cooks, company, more room, and the cat, and is working from here much as she was there. We’re happy to have her.

Be well and be safe.

15. Lora Welt says:

I also knit a stress ball. and then two more so my granddaughters and I can play a game of dodge the virus. It relieves our stress and anxiety almost as much as knitting.