Stornoway, designed by Alice Starmore from her book Fishermen’s Sweaters, knit in Frangipani 5-ply guernsey wool in the Aran colorway, on a 3.0mm needle.

Life Goes On

It will probably not surprise you to know that I did indeed finish the Wilma Cardigan:

And of course I started a new project:

This is Hillswick Lumber, designed by Ann Feitelson, from her 1996 book The Art of Fair Isle Knitting. I’m using Jamieson & Smith Shetland Spindrift in the original colors.

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know my sad news: my dad died on Wednesday, from complications of COVID. He was 91 years old and had been living in the memory care unit of a nursing home for the past couple of years, as he had full-on dementia. It seems like we lost him a while back, so it is a very strange time. The nursing home has been on lock-down since last spring so he died alone and we will not really get closure until after restrictions are lifted and we can finally have a funeral service for him. It’s a sad ending to what was an amazing life. I wrote an obituary for him, here.

So as not to end on that note:

Comments

1. Wendy, my deepest condolences on your dad’s passing. It looks like he lived a rich & fulfilling life. Hugs to you & yours. I hope that we’re able to get this vile virus under control soon & that fewer people succumb to it.

2. I’m sorry about your father; even though he had been lost, it can’t be an easy thing. Take comfort where you can, in cat and knitting.

3. Caroline Gaudy aka FiberTribe says:

What a life he lived and what an amazing soul. I am sorry for his passing and for the manner of it, too. Much love to you and your family.

4. I’m sorry to hear about your father. What a long and rich life!

5. Elaine in NYC says:

So very sorry for your loss, Wendy.

6. Wendy, I’m really sorry to hear about your dad. I’m glad you have good memories to carry you through these dark days. Sendong you hugs.

7. Ruth Porter says:

Sincere condolences while remembering a life well lived.

8. Kathleen McCunn says:

Condolences to you and your family.

Kathleen

9. Please accept my condolences. It sounds like your Dad led a very full life. It’s such a sad ending that too many people are experiencing.

10. Sorry Wendy, for your loss. What a rich and inspiring life he had. I know you must be very proud of him. He accomplished so much in his life. My heart is with you and prayers for your Mom. Take care xo

11. I’m so sorry for your loss, Wendy.

12. I totally understand, having experienced the same thing. My sister and I saw our dad on March 11th and then everything was shut down the next week. The nursing home was not allowing anyone in after that. We were notified near the end of June that there was COVID in his nursing home and they were moving him to another location. Two days later they walked in to find him not breathing. He also had dementia and didn’t know who we were. But it still bothers me that we were not there and he died alone. Who knows but that he had some moments of lucidity and wondered where we were. This has been a very cruel virus.

13. Carol Perecman says:

I have been following you for a long time now and so I feel a kinship. My dad died over a year ago, 100 years old and also with dementia, but no matter their ages or ours, it’s hard to lose a parent. My condolences on your loss, it is hard, and even harder during Covid-time. Give yourself time to grieve and hold on to the good memories. All the best, Carol

14. Monica C. says:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Wendy. My mom died 11 years ago from dementia and it was almost as if we’d lost her twice. He sounds like an amazing man – hold onto your memories.

15. Christel Yates says:

I’m so sorry for the loss of your father. Your obituary was beautiful! May you find peace in the days ahead.

16. Denise Nash says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you will find comfort in remembering what a bright and motivated individual raised you, how blessed you were and are.

17. Monica Cortada says:

I’m so sorry, Wendy. What a sad time to have to grieve. It’s wonderful that you had a dad who was such a positive influence in your life and left you with good memories.

18. Kathryn Hagen says:

I’m so sorry about your father, for both the Covid and the dementia parts. You’ve described an amazing life in the obituary. It made me wish I had known him, too. My condolences to you and your family.

19. Wendy – I’m so sorry for your loss -we seem to be losing a lot of people over 80 lately. I hope you and your family find peace soon.

20. I am sorry for your loss. Losing my dad was the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

21. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. His accomplishments are really something to be proud of. I hope you can find comfort in many happy memories.

22. Barbara Levin says:

My deepest condolences. He must have been quite a guy.

23. My most sincere condolences on the loss of your father. My Dad died 6 years ago. I can’t really offer you any advice other than that while the pain never goes away, over time you do learn how to cope with it.

24. Sharen Warren says:

So very sorry to learn of the loss of your father. What a full life he lead…remember the good times.

25. I’m sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a wonderful and interesting man. I’ve observed in other situations, when someone dies at the end of a long illness, that you mourn not just that person as they were, when they died, but all that they were to you, over your whole life together.
    Pam´s last blog post ..Forever Mittens

26. Wendy to you and your family,
    I did not know your father, but I did serve in the Navy for 4 + years. I served in a separate branch from your father, I know how important and difficult it was to “serve” during those years. I understand the loss before the physical death and join my prayers with the many others who are sending them for comfort from the good memories and appreciation for the messages and lessons learned from your father about service, tenacity and interest in life.
    Thank you so much for sharing this private part of your life with us.
    Ricki

27. My heartfelt condolences, Wendy. ❤️

28. Wendy, I’m very sorry to hear about your dad. I read his obituary and he sounds like a wonderful person.

29. Mary Lou Keenan says:

So sorry for your loss. My mom passed at Christmas time at age 96, alone because of covid restrictions. She also had dementia and hadn’t really been herself for the last five years. I hate Covid.

30. Krayolakris says:

My condolences Wendy.

31. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom at Easter. She was in nursing home for 3 yrs due to massive stroke, so we knew day was coming. The fact that she had to die alone has been very hard to deal with, tho.

32. Barbara Bailey says:

His love will always surround you. My sympathy.

33. So sorry to hear about your dad–I can empathize with much of what you’re going through. On February 18, it will be the 3-year anniversary of my mother’s passing from that winter’s terrible flu. She also was in a care home and was fairly deep into dementia when she passed, so I had been slowly losing her for years before that. My sincerest wishes for comfort during this time, and I hope Loki is giving you extra snuggles.

34. My condolences as well on the loss of your father. May his memory be for a blessing.

My mother was never diagnosed with dementia, but with hindsight, she was probably suffering mini-strokes for some years. She had been a smoker for a long time, though by the time of her major stroke, I don’t think she was smoking. About 2 months before she passed away, she had a major stroke, and was combative, aphasic, and seemed largely unaware of anyone in her presence. So yes, when it seems that they’re gone before they’re gone, it seems an odd occurrence to have to sort out one’s response.

35. Robin Fremer says:

I’m sorry for your loss, both with the onset of dementia and with the passing of your dad. The obit you wrote showed him to be an active member of society, a real loss to all who knew him. Even Loki looks saddened by the news.

36. Venice Guntharp says:

It is always painful to lose a parent, regardless of their or our age, their health or circumstances, because they will always be in our heart as guiding love. I am so sorry for the pain you must feel, so sorry you could not say goodbye. I hope you find solace with your family and loved ones.

37. I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope your beautiful knits and cat give you solace in these hard times.

38. I’m sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like a wonderful person. Sending hugs….

39. Wendy, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. Sounds like he was a wonderful man. I hope your mom is doing okay, as well as she can. So hard not to be able to be there. I will keep you all in my thoughts. Sending virtual hugs.

40. Beverley Francis says:

Wendy so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope your happy memories of him help at this time. Hugs from NZ Beverley

41. What an amazing life; my deepest condolences on your loss.

42. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in your memories.

43. CHRISTINA Savoy says:

So sorry for your loss may you find some comfort in your memories of him all the best Wendy Chris

44. Wendy, I’m so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family -I lost my Mom in December to Covid and dementia as well. Sending hugs from nyc.

45. I’m so sorry for your loss

46. Oh, Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. There’s nothing about losing a family member or a friend that ever really makes sense. I hope that the many good memories you and your family share will bring you comfort, healing, and, with time, peace. Stay safe.

47. I’m so sorry for the loss of your father. Dr. Johnson must have been an amazing man; what an amazing obituary. May you and your family find peace in the days ahead. Hugs.

48. Sending my deepest condolences to you. May you find peace and comfort in the many precious memories you have of him. It sounds like he lived an amazing life.

49. Hi Wendy – I’ve been thinking of you lately. I’m so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. ::hugs:: Your dad sounds like an incredible person who accomplished much in his life.
    Take care – Marta

50. So sorry about your father, prayers for you and your family.

51. I’m so sorry for your loss, Wendy. I can see from your obituary that he did have an amazing life.