Stornoway, designed by Alice Starmore from her book Fishermen’s Sweaters, knit in Frangipani 5-ply guernsey wool in the Aran colorway, on a 3.0mm needle.

Still Here!

I’m hoping at some point I’ll get back into the swing of regular blogging. I do have a major life change coming up this autumn (she said mysteriously) so perhaps that will prompt me to change my slovenly blogging ways.

For the past month-and-then-some I have been working on a traditional gansey: Alice Starmore’s Stornoway, from her book Fishermen’s Sweaters. I’m using Frangipani 5-ply Guernsey on 3mm needles.

As you can see, Loki is being a BIG help with this project. This older photo gives you a much better look at the pattern:

I am at the point where I will knit the shoulder straps before picking up stitches around the armhole and knitting sleeves. Well, I’ll probably knit the neckband before the sleeves.

This design is knit in the round until you get to the armholes. At that point you knit the front and back separately, flat. That has seemed to take forever. Knitting back and forth on one side while the rest of the sweater is hanging off the needles is a bit awkward. But soon I’ll be back working in the round!

Comments

1. Mary Pat says:

Retirement?

2. It is always nice to receive an update from you. I am in awe of your knitting. I mostly knit cowls because I get bored with a project very quickly. I’m trying to gear up for a shawl that will test my patience. Always nice to see Loki! Can’t wait to find out about the big change coming up in your life.

3. Monica C. says:

So glad to see you back – knitting and blogging. Loki seems to approve of your lovely sweater too. Looking forward to your mysterious life change 😉

4. Beautiful! & I love how that color matches Loki! ☺️

5. Monica Cortada says:

The color is delicious. Ever since reading The Guernsey Literary and Sweet Potato Peel Society I wanted to make a Guernsey knit. The book was a wonderful read.

6. Dorothy Bunch says:

I love the soft colour!! Loki is lovely as usual!!

7. Chris Reeske says:

Good luck on your upcoming??? Love the sweater, I’ve never had the nerve try a Guernsey.
    I’m impressed.

8. If it’s retirement, you’ll love it.

9. Such a sweet helper!

10. Venice Guntharp says:

Lovely, lovely sweater. I’ll have to do a search and see what in the way of Alice Starmore designs I have lurking in my book case. I’ve always been intimidated by her patterns, but perhaps I should give them a try.

So glad to hear from you!

11. Jealous of both the can say and the “event”! The yellow is a good color for Loki.

12. That’s gansey, not can say. Dang auto correct!

13. Charlottewv says:

Hi Wendy and Loki, it’s so good to see you’nes here again. Wendy, your knitting is absolutely beautiful and perfect,as usual. You’re lucky to have such a dedicated, furry little knitting assistant, it’s obvious that he enjoys his work, lol!! Take care. ❤️🐾😊🧶

14. Amazing color choice, I really appreciate you on this. Thanks for sharing and take care