Stornoway, designed by Alice Starmore from her book Fishermen’s Sweaters, knit in Frangipani 5-ply guernsey wool in the Aran colorway, on a 3.0mm needle.

Ch-ch-changes

Mentally blows the dust off the blog.

So this past week was a week for big changes.

On Wednesday I went into the office for the first time since March 13, 2020!

The “Grab ‘n Go” meal has not been there for 18 months. I brought that with me.

Very surreal experience!

The point of this exercise was to clean out my office — I retired on September 30! I filled 5 trash bags with crap, left some stuff in colleagues offices, and mailed two priority mail boxes of stuff to myself. (No idea when I will actually open those boxes . . . )

Goodbye cubicle life!

So on Friday I woke up a lady of leisure. Such an odd feeling and it will take me a while to get used to it. But I am willing to give it a try. 😉

This little boy was so confused (and not too happy) that I left him to go into the office for two days.

Are we retired now, Momma?

I swear Loki is calmer and happier already. I know he feels my stress, and now there is no work stress. And no telling him I can’t play because I’m at work.

In knitting news, I’m working on the HANA Pullover, a design by Junko Okamoto. I totally blame Kay Gardiner for this as she was flaunting her HANA online. I am working on the first piece of mine:

I’m using a cotton blend yarn: Nako Denim. So far. so good!

Comments

1. Hurray! Congratulations on your retirement! Yes it takes time to adjust but what a great “problem” to have. I retired 5 years ago and I can’t say enough how wonderful it is. Hurray for you!!!

2. Happy Retirement to you and Loki!
    I hope Loki will become a full time blog star now!

3. Barbara Seiver says:

Congratulations on your retirement! Now you can lead a cat’s life, too!

4. Congratulations!
    Looking forward to reading more from you in the coming weeks.

5. Janice in GA says:

Congratulations on retirement! Use your time however you want!

6. Congratulations. You will be so busy with life and spoiling Loki now that you will wonder how you had time to work!

7. We love to tell people that they can have our place in the line because we aren’t in any hurry being RETIRED! Congrats on taking your life in a new direction that might not be clear to you yet.

8. Happy retirement! And all the best to Loki as well, he will be as happy as you with this new change! 😻

9. Congratulations on your retirement; more time to knit! Loki must be thrilled.

10. Congratulations on retirement!
    I always prefer the Spanish term- jubilacion (accent Mark over the o)

Feliz jubilacion! You are now a jubilado!

Congrats to you too, Loki, for having a full-time human!

11. Oh, nice, congratulations!
    ccr in MA´s last blog post ..Truly

12. Congratulations, Wendy! Enjoy this next phase of life!

13. All the best to you during this new chapter of your life!

14. Congratulations on retiring – you’ll love it.

15. Retirement is such a lovely word! Congrats on the new phase of your life! My cats have become so attached to me now that I’m no longer leaving them for work that some days it’s hard to get anything done. But it’s so lovely to relax and unwind and never have to step into an office again! enjoy!!!

16. Linda Yancy says:

More time for designing and your next book!
    We know that lunch has been sitting there for 18 months… You ought to hold a ceremony for turning over the cubicle to the next cog in the wheel.
    Nice knitting on HANA. Can’t wait to see it finished. Loki will be so happy to have Momma home to get underfoot of all the time.

17. Elaine in NYC says:

Congratulations on your retirement! It’s nice to have the freedom to get out of bed at the time of your choice. You won’t be bored. Promise. Great photo of Loki.

18. Annette Dufek says:

Congratulations! You will love retirement but you will be busier than ever and enjoy it more.

19. Congratulations on your retirement.

20. Congratulations on your retirement. It will take a while to get used to it. I find I am busier now than when I worked but I am doing what I want. Enjoy your life now.

21. Monica Cortada says:

Congratulations! Enjoy your new status with leisurely morning routines, no rainy or snowy day commutes and time to knit in daylight.

22. Hi Wendy…Just thinking back on when you graciously did a book signing at my yarn shop back in (yikes!) 2005 I think? And how different the world was then and how different we viewed work both in our society and on a personal level, especially as we aged. I think a life’s work really has little to do with a job and more to do with self development… in doing things that have meaning to us and promoting self growth and knowledge and sharing our skills and talents with others so they may benefit as well. The word retirement did not exist in ancient cultures. In fact the notion hardly existed before World War II. As humans, we mostly transitioned from one type of work to another. But we never stopped. We just choose work more suited for our time in our life and our place on the planet. At this point for you Wendy…is when you are truly making a living. So I will not wish you happy retirement… I will congratulate you on your freedom to do your authentic work.

23. Lestersmama says:

Congratulations! I took early retirement 5 years ago and my mental health has never been better.

24. Krayolakris says:

Congratulations Wendy! As others have said, you will have many happy days ahead! I wish you all the best!!

25. Congratulations! I hope you have many peaceful and relaxing days ahead!

26. Dorothy Bunch says:

Wonderful!! Congrats!!

27. DCAlaneKnits says:

Congratulations! I suspected.

28. Congratulations! Whole new worlds of possibility open up.

29. What wonderful news – congratulations!

30. I’m so glad you are well, I was beginning to become concerned! Enjoy your retirement! Congratulations!

31. Congratulations on your retirement! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. I know my cats were quite happy to have more laptime and scritches.

32. Wonderful, am pleased for you and Loki and looking forward to seeing many future projects develop!

33. Congratulations! You and Loki are going to have so much fun.

34. Congratulations!

35. Congratulations! How exciting! Great for you and Loki too!

36. Mary Osborne says:

Good for you! Knit on!

37. Congratulations on retirement! I did it earlier this year and have zero regrets.

38. Lisa Simpson says:

I retired on Oct 2 and eagerly look forward to exploring this phase of life. Can’t wait to see what knitting projects you will inspire me to take on. Kay Gardiner is a very sly role model ……let’s get busy with knitting ALL of the things!!!!

39. Charlottewv says:

Oh Wendy, I am so happy for you and sweet Loki too. No doubt he really enjoys having you at home with him everyday. I retired in 2013 and I can honestly say that I haven’t missed my job or my cubicle for even one minute. Having the freedom to do what you want, whenever you want, is wonderful. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy every minute of your well-deserved retirement! 😊 🎉🍾🎈

40. Congratulations!!! I’m sure that it will take some getting used to but that you will enjoy all the extra knitting time now available

41. Happy Retirement, Wendy! Have fun.

42. Congratulations, Wendy! I just retired on October 1st. Still trying to sort out what my new routine will be. Quite an unusual feeling after 43 years of working. But I am enjoying the easier mornings! I think this retirement thing will be quite fun and definitely happier for more knitting time! I wish us both many healthy happy years!

43. Congratulations! One of the best things is that your alarm clock also (mostly) goes into retirement.

44. To Wendy, lady of leisure: congratulations on your retirement!

45. Congratulations!!!!