Seaforth designed by Alice Starmore, knit in British Breeds 5-ply Guernsey Wool on US 3 needles.

Trust Your Instincts

Or rather, I should trust my instincts.

In early December I started knitting the Sandstone Peak cardigan that I showed in my last post. From the start, I was underwhelmed by the project. I cast it aside a week or so after starting it to knit 5 clocks and a cowl, hat, and handwarmers set. I don’t like to let WIPs languish so I returned to it and almost finished it. Still not really liking it. Well guess what? Upon trying it on, I like it even less, so I bundled it up in its unfinished state (it just needs the front bands knit) and shoved it in a closet. The fit is horrible, and the sleeves are way too tight for a cardigan I would wear over something else. So I’m chalking this up as a reminder to listen to my inner voice when something doesn’t seem right.

Anyway.

I cast on for a new long-tern project.

Gansey Goodness!

This is the Seaforth Gansey, from Alice Starmore’s book In the Hebrides (long out of print). In keeping with the discontinued vibe, I am using British Breeds 5-ply Guernsey wool. This is a relatively easy knit, the pattern made up of knits and purls and easily memorized.

In other news, I have some sewing projects on the horizon. I’ve got some precious vintage (well actually antique) fabric I plan to use, but first I am going to make something for practice since it has been as long time since I’ve done any serious sewing. While Loki was fast asleep in the bedroom closet, I got ready to cut out my project. But clearly the rustle of the tissue paper was too much for my boy.

The siren song of the tissue paper!

I am pleased to report, however, that with a minimum of encouragement Loki was persuaded to sit on a chair and watch as I cut out my pattern pieces instead of helping!

Such a good kitty!

So I plan to start sewing tomorrow!

Comments

1. Monica Cortada says:

I’ve wondered in the past whether finishing other people’s projects could be a business. I doubt one could ever make a living out of it. Perhaps there could be a revelry group that volunteers to salvage unfinished projects. In your case it might mean ripping out the sleeves and starting them over again.

2. When my guy is too interested in what I’m doing, he goes to jail. It’s a very nice jail – my bedroom. He would never just sit there!

3. Dorothy in Kentucky says:

I have always found the minute i fet fabric out i have an abundance of kitty help. Mostly if i let them investigate they will eventually lay down to watch!! ❤

4. Wendy – so glad you’re enjoying your retirement. I’m sure Loki is even more spoiled now – another perk of retirement. Maybe another project will call to you, and the yarn can be reused.

5. Linda Yancy says:

I’ve noticed for about the last year that a lot of sweater patterns are designed with narrower upper sleeves (even on skinny models!). Is this a new style or a fad? It is so not helpful for actual human beings. It reminds me of when all the designs had to have gorilla-arm length and short midriff, or when the styles had to make room for huge shoulder pads. I hope they come to their senses soon and design patterns for real humans.
    I used to sew all my clothes when I was young, and then later I made a ton of baby clothes for my little one. But now I just sew as needed. Please be sure to show us your finished creation. Hopefully Loki will allow Momma to sew. 😉

6. Susanne Scheurwater says:

I have always wanted to give you many props as you knit pullovers for yourself with gorgeous cables and patterns! As a woman of a “certain age”, I ditched pullovers several years back as they are far less easy to remove and then put on again as my body decides to test the temperature both inside and outdoors!!
    Loki is a well behaved kitty for sure if he managed to stay to just “oversee” the project you are embarking on.
    Hope you are able to reuse the yarn from the now sequestered sweater.

7. Elaine in NYC says:

Listening to one’s inner voice is really important. I wouldn’t put that sweater in the closet, Ribbit, ribbit! You know you won’t wear it.

I look forward to seeing what you sew.

8. I get out a plain piece of tissue paper like for gifts as a decoy for my cats when I’m using a pattern like that. A lot less yelling, lol

9. Linda Thomson says:

Hi Wendy ,
    I am amazed at the speed with which you knit 🧶! You are quite amazing and obviously not a golfer 🏌️‍♀️ as I am . Having rheumatoid arthritis , I have returned to knitting to maintain dexterity in my fingers . Bamboo needles are the best . My rheumatologist is impressed .
    Do you actually wear all your many sweaters ?
    Your most recent is a beautiful vibrant colour .
    You are an inspiration for sure and your Loki is loyal company !😻
    Linda
    Ottawa , Canada 🇨🇦

10. Tissue paper is definitely a cat magnet! The new sweater looks lovely! Wonderful shade of blue.

11. Wendy, I LOVE this color of blue, almost a new denim color. I especially love gansey patterns with all the cabling and changes in knit stitch pattern, but the usual oatmeal, cream, ecru gets a
    old after a while. I love the color you chose for this gansey, and think gansey patterns would
    look so fresh in pastel cardigans for spring, lavender, pink, aqua, mint green or vibrant rose, fuchsia, marine blue, orange, wine, lime green, purple etc. I love playing with color!
    Can’t wait to see this one finished.
    Wish you were local, to Huntsville AL, and I could afford to take a couple of classes on knitting gansies, so I could get comfortable knitting one. Cables I can do but sometimes putting it all together and having it look beautiful.
    Any thoughts on smaller patterns I could try and practice with, and not be a total waste of yarn and time? I’m a woman’s plus size, so knitting for me isn’t practical to begin with, nor are there children or grandchildren in my life, 3 pusses yes and one has her own personal sweater she wears. I thought a scarf would be one item to practice with. I’ve made several stockings when I was on my first learn more about knitting several years ago, but not sure I’m ready to take them up again with gansey, unless there is an easy pattern. We used to have a really good yarn and knitting, crocheting, weaving, spinning, etc. store with classes and come and sit and knit togethers. She had even bought the empty shop next door and expanded, just a really nice store. But she couldn’t find a buyer for the store and it’s contents when she decided to concentrate on her accounting business because it was growing, so she sold all the contents in a storage sell rather than mark them down. Our loss 😕 Closest shop now is about 30 miles plus going thru some horrible interstate construction zones and equally horrible lines of traffic, especially going to work or to home!
    I have several Alice Starmore books, I just loved her patterns.

12. I used to have to shut my cats out of my studio when I was cutting out. I use a rotary cutter on patterns, and I had a dread of deeply cutting someone’s paw if they swiped at it. Of course, the cats hated having a door between us!

13. Anxious to see what you are going to sew. Loki is such a good, sweet boy! ☺️

14. 😂 Loki’s such a good kitty

15. Where in a cat’s DNA are they programmed to respond to our concentration levels? I can be playing on the computer, checking Ravelry, etc., and sit in peace. Let me pull out a piece of colorwork knitting, and here comes the cat, flossing his teeth on the yarn.

16. Thank You Very Much For This Nice and wonderful Blog I like It So Much i Never read such type of informative content Post Before Keep Posting Such Type Of Information With Us.