My current work in progress:

Pitch by Emily Greene, knit from Elsawool Cormo worsted on a US 6 needle

Questions

And perhaps some answers.

About my Summit pullover: “the collar seems to be 2×2, was it worked on larger needles?”

The 2×2 rib for the collar was worked on 4 different needle sizes: I started with the same size used for the ribbing and then went up a size every 3″, per the pattern instructions. Since the collar is 12″ deep, you really need to keep loosening up as you go or it would not lay correctly. Nifty, huh?

And there was a comment/question a while back about how I get my stockinette so even. I am very lucky in that my tension/gauge is identical for knitting and purling, and it always has been. So I’m sorry to say, I have no words of wisdom here.

On to my current project . . .

I’m loving every minute of my work on the Pitch cardigan. Elsawool Cormo is one of my favorite yarns and it is one I’ve used a number of times, in different weights. This is worsted weight and it knits up so beautifully into cables and texture.

There was a question about whether Elsawool Cormo pills. In my experience . . . no. I knit my Crazed Scandinavian Cowl from the fingering weight and iin the winter It gets a lot of wear. And it still looks brand new.

As I said, I’ve used Elsawool Cormo in fingering, sport, and worsted weight and have yet to see any of it pill. It’s a lovely consistent yarn with virtually no knots or variations in the spin.

This project, Pitch, is from a Brooklyn Tweed pattern. I tend to like Brooklyn Tweed patterns because the construction is usually in pieces instead of the current trend to knit everything in one piece to avoid seaming at all costs. (Do not get me started . . . ) And the patterns are generally very well-written and edited.

But I always have issues with the layout and design. This pattern is 33 pages long! This is partly due to the extreme detail (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and partly due to the page layout, which has extremely deep margins: the top margin is 2.5″, sides are 1.25″, and the bottom margin is 1.5″. The pattern is printed in a small size: 9 points. There is plenty of line spacing, but I still find the font size too small to read comfortably. White space is a good thing, but I wish they’d reduce the white space and make the font a bit bigger.

My solution is to export the pattern pdf to a Word file, delete out all the instructions that do not pertain to the size I am making, then lessen the margins and increase the font size. By doing so, I can make the pattern a few pages shorter and a lot more readable. Still, it would be nice not to have to spend a couple of hours re-formatting the pattern to make it usable.

It was seven years ago today . . .

. . . that this glorious little fluffernutter came home with me. Happy Adopt-i-ver-sary, Loki!

Summit Completed

I finished Summit last week.

This is a design by Sloane Rosenthal, knit from Rowan Softyak DK, one of my current favorite yarns. The only mode I made was to knit the sleeves in stockinette stitch instead of 2×2 rib. Honesty compels me to admit that I did it by accident — I had several inches on a sleeve before I bothered to read the pattern and discovered that it was supposed to be worked completely in rib. But had I been paying attention, I probably would have knit them in stockinette anyway. I also made them a bit wider than the pattern called for. I do not like tight sleeves.

Here’s my new project:

This the start of Pitch, by Emily Greene. I am knitting it from one of my all-time favorite yarns, Elsawool Cormo. This is woolen-spun worsted.

Meanwhile, Loki is spending time in his crinkle tunnel.

Summit

I finished the front of my Summit pullover the other day.

The back is boring in comparison — it is straight stockinette.

But ever helpful, Loki attempts to make things more entertaining.

Picket Fences

I finished my Picket Fence Afghan this past week.

I’m so pleased with it — The Rowan SoftKnit Cotton was a dream to work with and working in squares made it go very quickly. I even didn’t mind the what seemed like miles of applied i-cord around the outer edge. Of course I had supervision.

So . . . on to something new:

This is Summit by Sloane Rosenthal. I’m knitting it from Rowan SoftYak DK in shade 254 Canopy.

That’s the front in progress — the back is plain stockinette. I’ll have to find something on Netflix really entertaining to watch to get me through the boredom of plain stockinette!

KAL

This is Week 14 of house arrest, I think. I’m starting to lose count!

A week ago, I finished this:

This is “Out and About” (the irony of the name right now has not escaped me), a wrap designed by Jennifer Weissman. I knit mine in Miss Babs “Kunlun” yarn in the “topaz” colorway.

Then I started this:

This is a block for the Picket Fence Afghan by Julia Farwell-Clay. I am making mine from Rowan SoftKnit Cotton, another fabulous yarn that is now discontinued.

I am knitting this as part of the MDK Socks and Blocks KAL. You can read all about the Socks and Blocks Knitalong here.

The block pictured above is my 8th block (out of a planned 20).

Here are the other seven!

And Loki is being as helpful as usual!

Check out the loose fur on the arm of the couch. It’s a never-ending battle.